Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,257 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving, along with our 4 teenaged daughters, to Chapel Hill and were wondering which neighborhoods to look at. We are coming from a huge city (Los Angeles) and would like someplace smaller and quieter, as both of us are originally from small towns. We would like to live close to UNC because I have been offered a position there. Our ideal neighborhood would have historic homes, tree-lined streets, and sidewalks and we can spend 1m+. We are also open to the idea of a community embracing the ideas of Traditional Neighborhood Design and in that vein have considered Meadowmont, Southern Village, and Winmore. Of these three, we prefer Winmore but would greatly appreciate more information! We have also thought about ITB Raleigh but are concerned that it does not have the same charm that Chapel Hill does (and I believe it would mean a very long commute for me!). Thoughts on this? School districts are not hugely important to us, as our girls would attend private school (hopefully Carolina Friends). Thank you very much in advance for taking the time to help us with our move!

Kind regards,
Katrine

Last edited by KDeBoer; 03-20-2008 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: I left out an important line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
Have you looked at the historic district right downtown? I really like the Boundry Street area. The homes are historic and beautiful, it's a lovely neighborhood. $1M would probably get you in the lower end homes there but if you can go up in price, there would be more options available.

I'd also suggest looking at lakefront homes in Lake Forest. I believe there are a couple on the market right now--one I think would be a "fixer upper" and I don't know what they're asking. The other is a fairly new build or redo--not sure which--and I think they're asking about $1.2 million. It does not have the homes of the 20s and 30s--it was built in the 1960s. There are some homes which probably haven't been touched since they were built, and others which have been added onto, have been torn down and rebuilt, etc. It's rather interesting that way. The bottom end of the market in that neighborhood is probably mid-300s, but the prices go up to over $3Million for a beautiful home right on the lake. There are sidewalks, lots of people walking all the time, etc. If you're not pretentious (which it sounds like you're not!) you may like this neighborhood--it is subtle money. Congressman David Price lives there, as do several CEOs, the head Gastro. dr. at Duke lives there...anyway,it might be worth checking out. I can't say it's gorgeous when you drive through, but the lots are large (about 1-2 acres), old growth trees, and the lake is private. There is one area of the lake which people who live in Lake Forest can use, and there are houses right on the water. No one else can use it. Everyone I know who lives there loves it and never seem to move out!

Those are the 2 neighborhoods which come to mind for me.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,820 times
One of my favorite neighborhoods in Chapel Hill is Laurel Hills. It's very close to campus, but removed from Franklin St, so you don't have the noise and traffic. It's really lovely. Streets to explore are Laurel Hill Rd., Arboretum, Pine Lane.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDeBoer View Post
My husband and I are considering moving, along with our 4 teenaged daughters, to Chapel Hill and were wondering which neighborhoods to look at. We are coming from a huge city (Los Angeles) and would like someplace smaller and quieter, as both of us are originally from small towns. We would like to live close to UNC because I have been offered a position there. Our ideal neighborhood would have historic homes, tree-lined streets, and sidewalks and we can spend 1m+. We are also open to the idea of a community embracing the ideas of Traditional Neighborhood Design and in that vein have considered Meadowmont, Southern Village, and Winmore. Of these three, we prefer Winmore but would greatly appreciate more information! We have also thought about ITB Raleigh but are concerned that it does not have the same charm that Chapel Hill does (and I believe it would mean a very long commute for me!). Thoughts on this? School districts are not hugely important to us, as our girls would attend private school (hopefully Carolina Friends). Thank you very much in advance for taking the time to help us with our move!

Kind regards,
Katrine

Just wanted to say hello! I went to friends, and still have a lot of "people" there. My dad taught there for many many years (in lower school), so let me know if you have questions! We loved the school! Durham may also be a nice place to consider, in that your commute would not be horrible and it would be a bit closer for the kids to get to school. Friends is kind of "out in the country" but my mom lives within biking distance (8 miles) and she is in chapel hill.

Moderator cut: soliciting

Leigh

Last edited by autumngal; 03-21-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,633 times
Default Neighborhood options

If you want the true Chapel Hill feel, then I cannot in good conscience recommend Meadowmont, Southern Village or Winmore. I abhor those neighborhoods, although they have certainly brought tax revenue to Orange County. Same with the newer neighborhoods along Weaver Dairy Road...basically McMansions with no redeeming qualities.

Greenwood is a wonderful neighborhood on Raleigh Road in walking distance to campus. Gimghoul is another option, which has some amazing historic homes. In the 1m range, there are some downtown area homes that are great.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,233 times
Winmore is nice. If you like that area, Claremont is worth checking out also. It is right next to Winmore. The houses are Energy Star, there is a very nice pool and the prices for the houses range from the low 500s to 700+. Zinn home builders and JT Lewis Builders are the contractors and both have reputations for quality construction. check out [url=http://www.home-team.com]Chapel Hill - Durham NC - Pittsboro North Carolina Real Estate Listings - Homes For Sale | The Home Team[/url] and look at the neighborhoods, single family housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary