U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 AM

667 posts, read 1,695,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Steve,
Enchanted Oaks looks beautiful. I would love to live there.
It is a pretty neighborhood , we were lucky to buy there and are very happy with the area

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:36 AM

543 posts, read 1,224,786 times
Not to say it couldn't work out well for you, but why are you looking at the triangle area? You have some good suggestions on places that might meet your needs, but if you don't have family here I would think about it really hard. Consider how you would make connections and develop a network of friends. Where do you live now? Knowing nothing about you or your reasons for choosing this area, I would think perhaps Portland, Oregon could be a better fit. I basically love it here, partly because I am now less than a mile from my daughter and grandchildren and also because I enjoy the other kids in the neighborhood and living where there are families and a mix of people. There are other good things here too, for me. It just isn't clear to me that the triangle meshes best with your interests, but there might be reasons you haven't stated.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:24 AM

919 posts, read 1,868,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Knowing nothing about you or your reasons for choosing this area, I would think perhaps Portland, Oregon could be a better fit.
Egad, no! With all due respect, why did you suggest Portland? It's become a mecca for disaffected trustfund hippies and 20-something slackers. I'm in my 40's and feel like a senior citizen in Portland.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:13 PM

543 posts, read 1,224,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Egad, no! With all due respect, why did you suggest Portland? It's become a mecca for disaffected trustfund hippies and 20-something slackers. I'm in my 40's and feel like a senior citizen in Portland.
I suggested because my brother and his wife, both 60, enjoy it. They have no kids, live in the Pearl District, and like the proximity to stores and restaurants and the lack of need for a car. Their hobby is running marathons and there are a lot of places to run. I have not lived there myself since I was a child, but suggested it because there is a lot of community in sort of small areas.
Thanks for the respect, there is something different for everyone. I love it in Raleigh but my tastes are pretty simple.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM

525 posts, read 1,808,695 times
Steve54: Yes, Enchanted Oaks looks, well, enchanting. I will definately keep this area in mind. Thanks for the photos - it really helps give an outsider a feel of the neighborhood.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 AM

525 posts, read 1,808,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Not to say it couldn't work out well for you, but why are you looking at the triangle area? You have some good suggestions on places that might meet your needs, but if you don't have family here I would think about it really hard. Consider how you would make connections and develop a network of friends. Where do you live now? Knowing nothing about you or your reasons for choosing this area, I would think perhaps Portland, Oregon could be a better fit. I basically love it here, partly because I am now less than a mile from my daughter and grandchildren and also because I enjoy the other kids in the neighborhood and living where there are families and a mix of people. There are other good things here too, for me. It just isn't clear to me that the triangle meshes best with your interests, but there might be reasons you haven't stated.
My husband and I have have been all over the country in the past 10 years considering places to relocate. Friends and relatives have suggested the Triangle area to us based on what they know about us and what we are looking for. Nearby colleges and tech employers usually mean the area offers diversity in culture and lifestyle, as well as intellectual stimulation which is something we are looking for. We have family in Seattle, Minnesota, Colorado, Kentucky and Florida and we currently live in southern California and are used to "being on our own". We like to travel and we make friends easily. We also have good friends who recently relocated to South Carolina so I think we'll be fine. We'd love to stay in Southern California (mostly because of the Mediterranean climate and lack of bugs and it's car country out here and my husband is a car nut) but we want to buy a house and refuse to become house poor.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 AM

74 posts, read 119,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
We are thinking about relocating to the Triangle Area and need your input as to where we might best fit...
  • She's 45 and he's 60.
  • Empty nesters -- No kids and would like to avoid neighborhoods with a heavy concentration of them. We enjoy peace and quiet and not having to maneuver through a basketball-hoop obstacle course everytime we drive down the street.
  • Jobs/employment are not a concern, neither is commute.
  • She's a foodie (love to eat and cook good food so good restaurants and access to gourmet/ethnic groceries are a plus) and would like to garden.
  • He's a car nut (sports cars like BMW and Porsche) and audiophile (stereo and listen to music of all kinds).
  • Have dog, like to stay fit, walk, bike, go for drives, and check things out in our area.
  • We are grounded, down-to-earth, but also somewhat status conscious & upscale (former Yuppies/DINKS).
  • Looking for single family detached house - maybe in the $400-$500-$600 range?
  • City/suburban but not rural.
  • Open to both older, mature neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and new developments (though newer usually attracts lots of families with kids).
  • Looking for city/neighborhood that has a good vibe, culture, good eats. Someplace that is upscale but not too stuffy. A place where we can be locals/regulars and hang out...A place where there's a sense of community or a real neighborhood feel.
Where should we be looking?

Thanks.
My husband and I moved down without kids too. We looked in but could not afford Heritage in Wake Forest. It is a lovely golf course community with beautiful tree lined streets and sidewalks. A great clubhouse and 2 pools. It is not as congested as some areas of Raleigh. If I had had the money, I would have moved there. Have you considered New Bern? It is a coastal town here in NC. We looked there first but it is more for our retirement. Beautiful though.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 AM

35 posts, read 90,675 times
I've lived in Cary since 1969. I believe that while there are a ton of minivans here - there are just as many of us happy to live in a "Community" where you are likely to know someone when you go to Fresh Market. My suggestion is to take some time interviewing a real estate agent - then look at homes. Good Luck! Hope to see you here soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary