Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i would say keep doing what you're doing but just figure out a tequila highball you like tequila and ginger ale or club with peel shavings

i good litmus test would be if the bar can figure out how to serve shaved lemon or lime opposed to just wedges lol
Thank you for the suggestion! I'd think ginger ale and lime would probably be common in a lot of bars. And it's fairly simple, something that even someone unfamiliar with drink making could figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 08:35 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,881 times
I bartended my way through undergrad/grad school so I'll give you my take:

1. There aren't many commonly ordered mixed drinks that have tequila as the base liquor (tequila sunrise/margarita are the two most common).
2. Many bartenders aren't well versed in coming up with something off the cuff.
3. You come off as someone likely to send a drink back. "Don't like anything on the menu, don't know a drink I want by name, make me something that tastes like something I'd like". While it might not be your intention if you don't like are you just going to take it in stride and drink it? They probably just want to avoid that situation.
4. They may have been really busy and didn't have time to help you figure out what you wanted.

I recommend downloading a drink app on your phone. You can peruse tequila drinks and pick out the ones you want and provide the recipe to the bartender.

Last edited by cchampagne232000; 12-28-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 08:42 AM

369 posts, read 460,125 times
Try Foundation in downtown Raleigh. Go early in the evening before the crowds show up. The bartenders there are both knowledgeable and creative. I've been served excellent unique cocktails, both on and off-menu. Plus the space is very cool.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It depends on the place. An actual cocktail bar or a restaurant with an extensive cocktail menu, sure. A place like the Provincial (which I've never been to), seems to focus more on beer/wine from what I can tell from the menu.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a bartender to be able to just whip something creative up on the spot that exactly suits your needs.

My suggestion? Experiment at home and figure out what you like.
The signature drinks aren't on the website but there were about six of them. When he told me I had to choose from the list, I had Kir Royale which I had never heard of, but I'll admit it was good.

I read Yelp reviews on Provincial and there was one pretty negative review from May and it made it sound like the chef and wait staff were very rigid on menu items. I didn't realize it would apply to drinks also, but lesson learned.

To their credit, the food was very good. Our waiter was awful and apologized for being new. I would still go back for the food though, and hope that we had better wait staff.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 AM

569 posts, read 440,162 times
Mule drinks are very popular right now. I don't like vodka but love tequila so I get a mexican mule which is tequila, ginger beer, and lime (sometimes with jalapeno if I want spicy) and have been really enjoying those. They are fresher tasting than a margarita without all that mixer. The reason I suggested is that mule drinks are all over cocktail lists right now so you should easily be able to get one substituted with tequila.

PF Changs has a nice tequila drink called the Anejo Buzz. You might like that one. A little sweet but not too much.

Also, I have had better success ordering off cocktail list if I know what I want. I think waiters/bartenders get frustrated when someone doesn't want something on the list but they also don't know what they want instead. Does that make sense?

Finally, if you like tequila cocktails, you might try some rum cocktails as well. Try a mojito or a rum punch if you see them on the menu.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I bartended my way through undergrad/grad school so I'll give you my take:

1. There aren't many commonly ordered mixed drinks that have tequila as the base liquor (tequila sunrise/margarita are the two most common).
2. Many bartenders aren't well versed in coming with something off the cuff.
3. You come off as someone likely to send a drink back. "Don't like anything on the menu, don't know a drink I want by name, make me something that tastes like something I'd like". While it might not be your intention if you don't like are you just going to take it in stride and drink it? They probably just want to avoid that situation.
4. They may have been really busy and didn't have time to help you figure out what you wanted.

I recommend downloading a drink app on your phone. You can peruse tequila drinks and pick out the ones you want and provide the recipe to the bartender.
1. Yes, I'm finding that out. Maybe I should just specify clear liquor then - vodka, gin. That would open up more possibilities. I just don't like the smokiness and flavor of brown liquors.
2. That's regrettable. I'd think a good bartender should be able to do that.
3. No, I'm not. I've never sent a drink back. If I order a drink that is my error because I'm not clear on what I want, or I choose ingredients I know I don't like, I wouldn't send it back because then it's my fault.

Why is not liking their drinks a bad thing? If it's heavy on bourbon, which a lot of places seem to be, the selection doesn't really appeal to everyone and to me, that's an oversight by the restaurant. I'm trying to learn what I do like, as I said, I don't think there's anything wrong with learning.

I didn't know there even were drink apps, but I like the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
Try Foundation in downtown Raleigh. Go early in the evening before the crowds show up. The bartenders there are both knowledgeable and creative. I've been served excellent unique cocktails, both on and off-menu. Plus the space is very cool.
Thank you. There are no shortage of cocktail places around, maybe that is where I do my research. I'd like to use the experience of people much more creative than I am in choosing a drink, rather than telling them some boring combination I came up with because it's simple and avoids problems.

Last edited by greenie72; 12-28-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 09:03 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
SO and I used to drink, "Perfect Southern Comfort Manhattan on the Rocks With a Twist." Very few bartenders knew the drink and a lot would fake it and get it wrong so we'd get one free round then teach them the recipe. Perfect = sweet and dry Vermouth. Real bartenders would know that. Promoted waiters didn't. Haven't had one here since we moved to Raleigh but the mixologists in Hilton Head know how to do it.

I was going to call that a Janice Joplin cocktail but figured she wouldn't bother with the Vermouth. SO said, "Joplin wouldn't bother with the glass!"

Enjoyed a wedding recently where the featured drink was Moscow Mule. The guests each got their own copper cups. You can vary this drink a lot, we now use vanilla vodka.

If you want to experiment with flavorful mixed drinks, search for bartenders guide.

I bartended for a decade in night clubs and corner bars and wouldn't have known that. You are familiar with what is commonly ordered on your premises. You may know how to make 100 different types of shots but don't have a clientele that frequently drinks martinis and manhattans. A bartender that knows how to make a "perfect southern comfort manhattan" probably wouldn't know how to make a 100 different shots. Both are "real bartenders".

Old 12-28-2017, 09:03 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Thank you. There are no shortage of cocktail places around, maybe that is where I do my research. I'd like to use the experience of people much more creative than I am in choosing a drink, rather than telling them some boring combination I came up with because it's simple and avoids problems.
Good idea...try The Crunkleton in CH. I'm sure they could whip up some creative drinks for you based on what you like/suggest, and then you can simply ask other bartenders to make a _______, with ______ and _______.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
when i read it, the idea of "high chance it gets sent back" certainly came to mind. not really customer-centric, and house tequila is cheap, but the risk is there.

you could certainly ask to sub tequila in any listed vodka drink they offer. as many others have said, discover your own favorite tequila concoctions and then ask for those. Some bars have drink recipe books, some don't.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:32 AM

253 posts, read 236,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
Mule drinks are very popular right now. I don't like vodka but love tequila so I get a mexican mule which is tequila, ginger beer, and lime (sometimes with jalapeno if I want spicy) and have been really enjoying those. They are fresher tasting than a margarita without all that mixer. The reason I suggested is that mule drinks are all over cocktail lists right now so you should easily be able to get one substituted with tequila.
This was going to be my suggestion, as well. Plus everywhere has a mule drink right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary