Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 05:08 PM

27 posts, read 65,216 times

Advertisements

Before anyone starts with the RACIST comments, I my self am Indian (Born and raised in Michigan) and I recently moved to Cary. I went to go check out Morrisville and I noticed the high concentration of people with and Indian background that are from India. I know this is because of RTP and the high number of IT jobs. I checked out a neighborhood that was recently built and most of the residents were Indian. But what I found weird was that one of the white neighbors said and waved hello to his Indian neighbor, and the dude just ignored him and walked away. I just thought it was very rude, and it made me worried about the attitude towards Indians here. And please, for the love of God, don't start a fight in this thread.

Thank in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 05:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,542,507 times
I've been told there is a local Morrisville temple and that influenced many to move here.
309 Aviation Pkwy, Morrisville, NC 27560

Also,
https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=ind...risville%2C+NC

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=hin...risville%2C+NC

Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
You are correct these indians work in IT they are primarily h1b transitioning to green card who have been here various lengths of time and they typically marry in india (arranged marriage) and have kids here.

They don't have american values because they aren't american and as a whole are totally nice but in their personal life are extremely insular

In india they speak english of course but it's fairly typically to see them conversate in their local hindi dialect. There is a cricket league too.

I work in IT here and work with these people and the thrust of things is such that you are essentially interacting with someone from India who just happens to be here.

For you personally i mean alot depends on how you present yourself there are no concerns about bigots in the triangle but of course you could be lumped in as someone from india just based in your skin by simple association. Even though as you say you aren't.

also i'm not really sure why an indian person not responding to a hello has you worried about attitudes toward indians. Maybe the other way around?

Old 12-28-2017, 05:25 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
You might also have seen something other than what you think you saw. I know a lot of Indian people both from work and from my kids' schools/their friends. Very often at this time of year Indians have relatives visiting them, so it's possible this wasn't a neighbor waving to another neighbor, but rather that neighbor's relative. Think about it, would you wave to your neighbor on a daily basis if they never waved back? Most of the Indian people I know are shy and retiring to the extreme so i doubt the Indian person you saw was trying to be rude, maybe just a true cultural barrier.

I don't know anyone who any issue with the Indians in this area. They assimilate and their kids participate in most activities just like the other kids. They do keep their own cultures and customs but no one seems to mind that I know.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:32 PM

27 posts, read 65,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
You are correct these indians work in IT they are primarily h1b transitioning to green card who have been here various lengths of time and they typically marry in india (arranged marriage) and have kids here.

They don't have american values because they aren't american and as a whole are totally nice but in their personal life are extremely insular

In india they speak english of course but it's fairly typically to see them conversate in their local hindi dialect. There is a cricket league too.

I work in IT here and work with these people and the thrust of things is such that you are essentially interacting with someone from India who just happens to be here.

For you personally i mean alot depends on how you present yourself there are no concerns about bigots in the triangle but of course you could be lumped in as someone from india just based in your skin by simple association. Even though as you say you aren't.

also i'm not really sure why an indian person not responding to a hello has you worried about attitudes toward indians. Maybe the other way around?
H1b aye. Must mean they may be leaving due to the current administrations new policy on H1b visas. But at work do they really have a choice to interact nicely at work? What about in public?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:12 PM

346 posts, read 338,926 times
I just took it as it’s close to RTP and the schools are pretty good in Morrisville. I don’t think there is a negative perception of Indians whether in Morrisville specifically or the Triangle in general. What I do notice is that Indians tend to be insular but as their kids grow up here there may be some intermingling socially?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
The most racist thing about this thread is that you came in here assuming someone would say something racist.

I don't understand - the white guy waved and said hello to the Indian guy, and you're worried about whites being racist toward Indians? Confused.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:39 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
What I’ve found is that there is no one Indian culture. It’s such a huge country and has Christians, Muslims, Bhuddists and probably additional religions and then there are remnants of the caste system still in play so it’s very different than what we are used to here. I will say that some are quite friendly and others will have nothing to do with you. I wish I could learn.
more about them though.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The most racist thing about this thread is that you came in here assuming someone would say something racist.

I don't understand - the white guy waved and said hello to the Indian guy, and you're worried about whites being racist toward Indians? Confused.
but don't start anything with your responses (says the guys with three posts).

Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
but don't start anything with your responses (says the guys with three posts).
I think I may have misunderstood the OP. But in my defense, it's a confusing post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary