Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,524,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Measured 8.5 inches on the driveway near O'Kelly Chapel Rd near northwest Wake county, near 540 toll. Got tired while shoveling, but it's nice and thick fluffy snow. There's a lot of it! Neighborhood street is pretty much untouched except for some SUVs going around today.

Again, I have to work tomorrow and I know I will be fine if I can make it to highway 55. But I need to get out of the neighborhood, get past Green Level Church Rd, get on O'Kelly Chapel, and then 55. Any tips? I can get out of my driveway since I shoveled it.
I drove all over that area this evening, plows are working overtime, shouldn't be any issues unless the whole world decides to go out tomorrow or you have a RWD vehicle. Hardest problem will be getting off your street and over any plow piles if you have a low clearance vehicle. I had no issues in my 4wd SUV, but it has plenty of ground clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Measured 10” earlier today at the park while it was still coming down. Could be 12” by now here in my part if Chapel Hill.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
As long as you are not in a rush to go anywhere.
I rarely if ever shovel, just park at end of driveway, walk gingerly to the car and go.Yes

Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,707,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Can I get away with not shoveling? Looks like 50's and 60's are coming. I don't think a ton of snow stuck to my driveway.
Depends on how much you care about your driveway turning into a sheet of ice I guess. It'll warm up tomorrow and Friday briefly but it's going to refreeze. So you'll have some snow melt but it's going to then freeze back over night.

I did a fairly quick pass tonight to get some off and plan to get back out there early tomorrow morning to take as much off as possible. Hoping that when the sun does eventually pop out that the concrete gets a brief bake so there's no moisture sitting there when the freeze happens.

Driveway is a hill so if I can eliminate a slip and slide from happening I'll do whatever. We'll see I guess. It could backfire terribly. :P

Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Can I get away with not shoveling? Looks like 50's and 60's are coming. I don't think a ton of snow stuck to my driveway.
It's going to be in the teens tonight with lows in the 20s on Thursday and Friday. This stuff is going to freeze overnight and will only partially melt during the day. If your driveway gets full sun during the day, you may get lucky. Otherwise, I would shovel.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

From NWS Raleigh.

Durham got between 8 inches and a FOOT
My measurements agree with the map, recorded about 8 inches in extreme NW Cary (the Wake county part that is in yellow).

Old 01-17-2018, 07:40 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
If you listen very carefully....you can hear the sound of thousands of family Spring Break travel plans being cancelled with each additional inch of accumulation!
Not likely. Didn't happen three years ago and won't happen now. In fact, I've yet to make spring break plans till I get my son's baseball schedule, but we ARE going somewhere, regardless of makeup days. Classes were half full at best last time we went through this. If the county can't figure out how to manage snow days and build makeup days/hours into the schedule (something that even Cumberland County has managed) that is their problem.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 4,473,934 times
measured 7.5" around my apartment complex in Raleigh near North Hills
https://youtu.be/7igPnmVri98

Last edited by LordHelmit; 01-17-2018 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,863,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Saw that on Highly Questionable, that was hilarious.
you oughta see the Ozzy Man version of that

Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,329,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Not likely. Didn't happen three years ago and won't happen now. In fact, I've yet to make spring break plans till I get my son's baseball schedule, but we ARE going somewhere, regardless of makeup days. Classes were half full at best last time we went through this. If the county can't figure out how to manage snow days and build makeup days/hours into the schedule (something that even Cumberland County has managed) that is their problem.
They added to the end of the year. The last day is now a Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary