Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,110 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to NC, but I'm not sure which area to live in. I haven't heard good things about the wake county schools. I want to be able to date and be near a city (Raleigh or Charlotte), but I'm not sure which area is best. Any suggestions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 08:09 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,501 times
First, consider the type of work do you do. I'd check the local online papers and job postings in Charlotte and Raleigh. If you see considerable opportunity in your field, that might influence your decision.

Also, do some research on cost of living. Consider whether you intend to purchase/rent and make sure you're comfortable with how much house or apartment you can afford.

Both cities have good schools, so I would conduct that research secondary to employment and affordability.

Finally, both locations have an active social scene.

Best of Luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 AM

486 posts, read 982,013 times
Default In the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama1 View Post
I'm relocating to NC, but I'm not sure which area to live in. I haven't heard good things about the wake county schools. I want to be able to date and be near a city (Raleigh or Charlotte), but I'm not sure which area is best. Any suggestions would be great!
I too am in the same boat. I am interviewing for a position in Goldsboro, the job will pay around 95,000. After doing my research, I know that Goldsboro is definitely not a place that I want to live and raise my 10 year old son. It is very important for me that he be in a good school and involved in competative sports year round. I am considering moving to Raleigh and commuting to Goldsboro on a daily basis. Would this be crazy? We used to live in Dallas and I had a 45 minute commute on a good day, this would be in stopped traffic the entire way. Would this be the same? Or, Is there a good neighborhood between the two cities that we could settle in if I am offered the position?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,410 times
Default Goldsboro/Raleigh

You could possibly live in the most SouthEast corning of Wake County.
Garner is the place.
I live 5 miles West of Garner, and its definately a place to consider.

THe traffic on 70 to G'boro is manageable.

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Garner,+NC,+United+States+of+America&sa=X&o i=map&ct=title]Garner, NC, United States of America - Google Maps[/url]

You could live in Johnson County as well.

If it were me, and I had a 95K job on the table in G'boro....then living in SE Wake and commuting down to G'boro would be doable.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 AM

55 posts, read 146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granadaCoder View Post
You could possibly live in the most SouthEast corning of Wake County.
Garner is the place.
I live 5 miles West of Garner, and its definately a place to consider.

THe traffic on 70 to G'boro is manageable.

Garner, NC, United States of America - Google Maps

You could live in Johnson County as well.

If it were me, and I had a 95K job on the table in G'boro....then living in SE Wake and commuting down to G'boro would be doable.
You could consider Garner, although if I was in your position I would probably go more towards Clayton, in Johnston County. My understanding is that once you cross out of Wake County things get cheaper, and there isn't much difference between Clayton and Garner. (Full disclosure: I grew up in Garner, and I personally don't want to go back to either one, but it's not for me.)

Last edited by maxpower212; 03-26-2008 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM

55 posts, read 146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama1 View Post
Wake County schools are probably amongst the best performance-wise in the state, although certainly not great and they've had their share of problems, esp. with regards to bussing, year-round schools, overcrowding, etc. Charlotte's are good as well, and Chapel Hill's are top-notch.

As for dating, there are more men in the Raleigh area than over here in Chapel Hill, and I can't speak for Charlotte, but the Triangle is supposed to be good for finding well-educated and employed singles. Charlotte is going to give you a larger, more city-type feel, with a true downtown; it also has most of the bigger-city drawbacks, like higher crime and worse traffic.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 PM

486 posts, read 982,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower212 View Post
(Full disclosure: I grew up in Garner, and I personally don't want to go back to either one, but it's not for me.)
Maxpower212, Can you ellaborate? Why wouldn't you go back to either?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Commuting from Wake County to Goldsboro would wear out VERY quickly! That is not a drive I would want to do, even for a month (and I have commuted almost an hour at many different points). If you work in Goldsboro, it might be better to live near Greenville (college town but not solely so) where there'd be some "young nightlife" but an easier commute than Wake.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:21 AM

107 posts, read 480,401 times
Though not a dating group, I do know of a very good single parents meet-up group in the triangle (Raleigh area) which provides great social networking for the parents and a good time for the kids, apparently. It was recently featured in Cary Living magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary