Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

The real "elephant in the room:"

"This is the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary CD Forum."

Point of order. Someone had to say it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:02 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Thank You Mike!

Old 01-26-2018, 11:27 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I question whether a video would be the straw that broke the camels back in placing a 50,000 strong HQ.

I'm thinking they are more concerned about metrics that actually matter.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:37 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I question whether a video would be the straw that broke the camels back in placing a 50,000 strong HQ.

When there are so many more highly qualified cities to consider, why waste your time with a city that clearly can't get the basics right?

Furthermore, when companies put out RFPs like this, the first thing they are looking for is to be wowed. That video created the opposite effect and apparently left a bad taste in their mouths for Charlotte.

Again, if Charlotte couldn't care enough to make sure that they had a stellar video that would appeal to the right audience at Amazon, why should Amazon care enough to give them a spot on their shortlist when they already have so many other qualified cities to choose from?

Good metrics alone will never win you a spot on any shortlist, it's always that gut feeling + metrics. I know firsthand because i've been involved in RFP evaluations before.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It was written by a 60 year old conservative writer who likes to troll his city that is ran by liberals. It was his way of saying hey Charlotte your liberal agenda and your liberal policies are not working for you very well.
That's a complete non sequitur. What an idiot.

Amazon built its empire in a very liberal, progressive city that would make that writer have an aneurysm.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:32 PM

183 posts, read 103,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No southeastern state had more than one city; there is definitely a pattern in the southeast. Florida easily could have had three cities but it didn't
As someone who who lives in florida it never ceases to amaze me how florida fails to attract tech companies or anything cool , like any sort of tech or creative class . Its like rick scott is just happy for Florida to be Gods waiting room and just shove as many retirees and people in the state as possible to get more construction jobs.

The state wages are terrible, a place like Orlando has a median income lower than Detroit and most rust belt cities

Orlando: No. 1 in tourism and dead last in wages - Orlando Sentinel

Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post
As someone who who lives in florida it never ceases to amaze me how florida fails to attract tech companies or anything cool , like any sort of tech or creative class . Its like rick scott is just happy for Florida to be Gods waiting room and just shove as many retirees and people in the state as possible to get more construction jobs.

The state wages are terrible, a place like Orlando has a median income lower than Detroit and most rust belt cities

Orlando: No. 1 in tourism and dead last in wages - Orlando Sentinel
Hurricanes that might obliterate your buildings might be a reason.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:52 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

People have short attention spans so they'll usually just end up judging you based on a small part of your entire presentation (why the introduction/conclusion of reports are important or why your resume should be short and concise for example)

Old 01-27-2018, 12:25 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Larson summed up my feelings exactly about the promotional video Charlotte pitched to Amazon -which I first saw just a couple days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1-0khtLps

In comparison, Raleigh's/The Triangle's pitch video is short, sweet, and lets the images do the talkin. I even dig the jam in the background .... kind of catchy.

Video promotes Triangle in Amazon headquarters bid :: WRAL.com
Let me first clarify the fact that I wouldn't have been disappointed in any of the NC locations that Amazon was considering. Raleigh, Charlotte and the Triad are all a part of North Carolina which is a great state.
I watched the two videos listed above and I have to say that the thought that comes to mind while watching the Raleigh video is Esse Quam Videri (To Be Rather Than To Seem).

Last edited by 4dognight; 01-27-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 01:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

But, by being the largest city in the largest county, Raleigh is the elephant in the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary