Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I am positive when it is appropriate. See my posts on Knightdale.

I see nothing wrong in trying to get people aroused about the stupidity of our governments.

What is going on mentioned in this thread is pure fact. An apartment we lived in years ago and moved because of its issues is now renting at ridiculous rates. This is just one example.

Home prices are going through the roof because too many transplants are bidding against each other for amounts that are just plain stupid.

Now that the stock market has corrected itself, perhaps rents and properties will go the same way ending the boomtown, hopefully for good.

If you don't agree, that is your privilege.
So, one correction and everything is on its way to being fixed? You don’t even make sense with your rants.

As far as HQ2, anyone put any stock into the post Super Bowl Commerical chatter about Austin? I could definitely see them locating there. Would be kind of crazy if that truly is how they revealed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I have just GOTS to get me one of those Amazon jobs....
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/t...workplace.html

Old 02-06-2018, 06:41 AM

703 posts, read 780,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I am positive when it is appropriate. See my posts on Knightdale.

I see nothing wrong in trying to get people aroused about the stupidity of our governments.

What is going on mentioned in this thread is pure fact. An apartment we lived in years ago and moved because of its issues is now renting at ridiculous rates. This is just one example.

Home prices are going through the roof because too many transplants are bidding against each other for amounts that are just plain stupid.

Now that the stock market has corrected itself, perhaps rents and properties will go the same way ending the boomtown, hopefully for good.

If you don't agree, that is your privilege.
You really should take some adult learning classes in micro and macroeconomics. The only thing you've learned from your own life experience is that history repeats itself. What you haven't learned is why.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:42 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, one correction and everything is on its way to being fixed? You don’t even make sense with your rants.

As far as HQ2, anyone put any stock into the post Super Bowl Commerical chatter about Austin? I could definitely see them locating there. Would be kind of crazy if that truly is how they revealed it.
I don't put any stock into it.

Amazon doesn't need to play those games. They are going to get what they want without having to resort to such a tactic.

If Austin was the choice, they would just say so.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have just GOTS to get me one of those Amazon jobs....
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/t...workplace.html
Wow. My takeaway from that: Amazon will never survive Bezo's leaving the company. Ten years after he's gone, the company will be much smaller and less innovative.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
There's two things I find interesting about this whole thing:

1. As mentioned above, Amazon is a notoriously crappy place to work. Not only for white collar workers, but from what I've read it's a borderline sweatshop for laborers. And cities are fighting for this company to come to them and hire 50k people?

2. If this was 1-2 years ago, NC would not have even made this list due to HB2. It's funny how quickly things like that are forgotten when it isn't the movement of the week.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/amaz...917-story.html

Last edited by m378; 02-06-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 07:13 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
1. As mentioned above, Amazon is a notoriously crappy place to work. Not only for white collar workers, but from what I've read it's a borderline sweatshop for laborers. And cities are fighting for this company to come to them and hire 50k people?
I guess for all those white collar jobs, the idea is to get in, make as much money as you can while you're there, get experience and move on, hopefully leaving with as much sanity as you can!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
There's two things I find interesting about this whole thing:

2. If this was 1-2 years ago, NC would not have even made this list due to HB2. It's funny how quickly things like that are forgotten when it isn't the movement of the week.

Inside Amazon's Warehouse - The Morning Call
I think Amazon will bring more blue-collar jobs, too.

So, yeah... it's not just the "overpaid hipster/yuppie entitled transplants" who'd be able to find work with Amazon if HQ2 winds up here.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I don't put any stock into it.

Amazon doesn't need to play those games. They are going to get what they want without having to resort to such a tactic.

If Austin was the choice, they would just say so.
Exactly. There is no way that Amazon would spend their valuable time, in addition to the countless hours that each of the 20 finalist cities will spend, going through this rigorous process if the new location has already been determined. What's the point? They are not a company known for just wasting time. Time is money and that's why they have plenty of it.

Amazon may already have a "preferred" city identified, but in no way is this a done deal. Just like with any selection process, they are evaluating what's out there to see where they can land the best deal and best fit for their company.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 02-06-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM

82 posts, read 70,245 times
I feel like we will not get the bid just because we do not have a great public transportation system in Raleigh and that is a big thing that they are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary