Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 07:01 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wouldn't surprise me....

"Apple, North Carolina work on incentive requirements, new project details "

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...048&j=82155521
Seems to be quite a bit of hedging and walking back in that article like not calling it a second headquarters. If it’s just a customer service call center there’s been waaaay too much excitement about its transformative effects. WRAL said last week it was 100% that it would be announced this week and now we hear it’s not imminent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
YES. I want tech companies. I'm bias, because I have worked in high tech for 20+ years. I rather live in a growing economy than in a stagnant/shrinking one. Bring on the high tech jobs.
I worked 31 years in tech.

The federal job I ended up with had security.

Many of our employees left for higher pay and promises in the private sector.

Then they returned a few months later trying to hire back with us.

Many of these punk companies hire up fast and cut back just as fast.

Hope these new hires see how lousy NC's unemployment benefits have become. When they get booted, they may wind up in a mission if there's room.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 PM

609 posts, read 505,867 times
31 years in tech !!! you must be sitting on ca$h. Hopefully.
I built my own business and quit after 20 years. nothing better than to work for yourself !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Hope these new hires see how lousy NC's unemployment benefits have become. When they get booted, they may wind up in a mission if there's room.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 PM

609 posts, read 505,867 times
They trying to find the right words ... Tim Cook not wanting to offend some folks. RTP got this !!! Don't sell your house now, just wait a few more months !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Seems to be quite a bit of hedging and walking back in that article like not calling it a second headquarters. If it’s just a customer service call center there’s been waaaay too much excitement about its transformative effects. WRAL said last week it was 100% that it would be announced this week and now we hear it’s not imminent.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:25 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

seriously, in the pantheon of short-sighted and ignorant - you stand alone.

If one chooses the safety of a government job, where layoffs are (almost) zero, then you trade in some pay for that.

You moved here in 1986, yes? And you went from private blue-chip companies to government employment?
Were you awesome at punch cards? Early on in learning MS-DOS code? Convinced that either of those skillsets would mean lifelong job safety without learning new skills?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
I never heard it was Apple talking about a 2nd HQ. Just Amazon.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 PM

424 posts, read 462,274 times
The answer to the thread subject is clear, we absolutely don't need these tech companies. I'm holding out for the resurgence in cotton with my back-up plan being tobacco (we can gut all those hipster lofts in the warehouses in Durham and go back to what they were designed for). That's what the area really needs, surely better than over-paid transplants with Amazon or big Pharma.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 PM

467 posts, read 427,777 times
I'm sure I'll get a lot of negative feedback for saying this, but I personally wouldn't want Amazon to come to Raleigh. I think all this growth too fast isn't necessarily a good thing, and to be honest it's probably a bad thing.

Unfortunately, Raleigh is losing more and more of its Southern charm as big corporate moves in, driving up taxes, prices, and the general cost of living for everyone else, even though the companies themselves often underpay their due. We're not Austin or New York or Seattle (nothing against those cities), but that's just not who we are and some of us are perfectly content with retaining our Southern character: our charm, pace of life, affordability, neighborly and friendly atmosphere, and of course, our culture. Besides, do we really want Raleigh to be known as "that other city Amazon's in"? I'm sure a lot us are perfectly happy being known as the "City of Oaks" (if known well as such to others at all), which, IMO, reflects the city's history, geography, and culture much more than Amazon-ville #2.

I suppose some of the most common arguments for wanting Amazon to come here are:

1. More jobs. Duh. But this comes at an obvious cost. Are all the tax incentives we're giving to Amazon for them to come here in the first place really going to benefit Raleigh in the long run? I doubt it, and many economists seem to agree. The fact of the matter is that government sponsorship of Corporate America through tax incentives rarely works, and is essentially just taxpayers being forced into subsidizing wealthy corporations out of their own pocket. Raleigh leaders are doing a grave disservice to their citizens if they decide to "sell out" to Amazon. On this note, does anyone else find it just laughable that many of these big companies on one hand demand robust public infrastructures and amenities to support their relocating to XYZ affordable (for now) city, yet also demand subsidies to the companies themselves (or are able to coax said cities into giving away these subsidies)? Tell me in what universe are those two things compatible?

2. More growth in general. See my initial paragraph. We in America hold this problematic notion that bigger is better, that growth is inherently good, and that more economic activity (even at the expense of other things) must be beneficial, right? Not necessarily true, and sometimes just flat-out wrong. I'm just copying and pasting what I wrote in another thread about Garner, NC's lack of (negative) growth, but I think it applies to pretty much anywhere else, too:

"NC's cities, as most people know, are very good at growing. In fact, they're downright booming. The challenge now is to make sure that the growth is sustainable and that new developments and projects will improve the landscape, not detract from it. Unfortunately, too many tract-type housing developments, strip malls, and big box stores, among other more "cookie-cutter" type developments, have continued to leave an ugly mark. What happened to people actually caring about the aesthetic qualities of architecture and not just low-cost this and low-cost that?"

And therein lies the issue. People have a propensity for looking only at the net positives that an influx of growth brings. But we must not forget about all the side-effects of said growth.

3. More things to do/more fun/more excitement. I'm sorry, but if you're moving to Raleigh because you think companies like Amazon that are popular with Millennials and a younger workforce are going to somehow turn Raleigh into the next San Francisco or Seattle, you're sorrily mistaken (it's not like Raleigh natives and locals would ever want such a thing, either). But riddle me this: why does everything have to be about wanting to be more like XYZ city, or about competing with XYZ city? Why can't we just be us? There are some people who couldn't care less about things like this. If you want excitement, big-city living, and a more "hip" culture, there are better places to look than Raleigh, even if all this growth somehow overturns the inherent and intrinsic cultural markers and foundations of a Southern capital city.

I think I've ranted enough, but I hope you get my point. I'm not saying that these companies are one-sidedly problematic or without good intentions, I just think we need to seriously scrutinize the impact that they'll have on changing the natural, cultural, and economic identities of the cities we so dearly call home.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:10 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
I'm sure I'll get a lot of negative feedback for saying this, but I personally wouldn't want Amazon to come to Raleigh. I think all this growth too fast isn't necessarily a good thing, and to be honest it's probably a bad thing.

Unfortunately, Raleigh is losing more and more of its Southern charm as big corporate moves in, driving up taxes, prices, and the general cost of living for everyone else, even though the companies themselves often underpay their due. We're not Austin or New York or Seattle (nothing against those cities), but that's just not who we are and some of us are perfectly content with retaining our Southern character: our charm, pace of life, affordability, neighborly and friendly atmosphere, and of course, our culture. Besides, do we really want Raleigh to be known as "that other city Amazon's in"? I'm sure a lot us are perfectly happy being known as the "City of Oaks" (if known well as such to others at all), which, IMO, reflects the city's history, geography, and culture much more than Amazon-ville #2.

I suppose some of the most common arguments for wanting Amazon to come here are:

1. More jobs. Duh. But this comes at an obvious cost. Are all the tax incentives we're giving to Amazon for them to come here in the first place really going to benefit Raleigh in the long run? I doubt it, and many economists seem to agree. The fact of the matter is that government sponsorship of Corporate America through tax incentives rarely works, and is essentially just taxpayers being forced into subsidizing wealthy corporations out of their own pocket. Raleigh leaders are doing a grave disservice to their citizens if they decide to "sell out" to Amazon. On this note, does anyone else find it just laughable that many of these big companies on one hand demand robust public infrastructures and amenities to support their relocating to XYZ affordable (for now) city, yet also demand subsidies to the companies themselves (or are able to coax said cities into giving away these subsidies)? Tell me in what universe are those two things compatible?

2. More growth in general. See my initial paragraph. We in America hold this problematic notion that bigger is better, that growth is inherently good, and that more economic activity (even at the expense of other things) must be beneficial, right? Not necessarily true, and sometimes just flat-out wrong. I'm just copying and pasting what I wrote in another thread about Garner, NC's lack of (negative) growth, but I think it applies to pretty much anywhere else, too:

"NC's cities, as most people know, are very good at growing. In fact, they're downright booming. The challenge now is to make sure that the growth is sustainable and that new developments and projects will improve the landscape, not detract from it. Unfortunately, too many tract-type housing developments, strip malls, and big box stores, among other more "cookie-cutter" type developments, have continued to leave an ugly mark. What happened to people actually caring about the aesthetic qualities of architecture and not just low-cost this and low-cost that?"

And therein lies the issue. People have a propensity for looking only at the net positives that an influx of growth brings. But we must not forget about all the side-effects of said growth.

3. More things to do/more fun/more excitement. I'm sorry, but if you're moving to Raleigh because you think companies like Amazon that are popular with Millennials and a younger workforce are going to somehow turn Raleigh into the next San Francisco or Seattle, you're sorrily mistaken (it's not like Raleigh natives and locals would ever want such a thing, either). But riddle me this: why does everything have to be about wanting to be more like XYZ city, or about competing with XYZ city? Why can't we just be us? There are some people who couldn't care less about things like this. If you want excitement, big-city living, and a more "hip" culture, there are better places to look than Raleigh, even if all this growth somehow overturns the inherent and intrinsic cultural markers and foundations of a Southern capital city.

I think I've ranted enough, but I hope you get my point. I'm not saying that these companies are one-sidedly problematic or without good intentions, I just think we need to seriously scrutinize the impact that they'll have on changing the natural, cultural, and economic identities of the cities we so dearly call home.
so why did the locals just pack it in and cash in... Southern charm now that is a joke as this place sold out long before what you are posting.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:10 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Most of the country is suffering from stagnant wages, violence, opioid addiction, and no prospects for upward mobility. Successful economic areas with vibrant communities are concentrating into very few "islands" around the country. I'd rather we be one of the islands, and getting cutting-edge economic engines in here is the best way to assure that. Sure, that success will bring its own set of issues to address and resolve, but that's better than the alternative, which is to rot away like sadly most of America is.
Unfortunately some people can't see the forest for the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary