Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

I'll allow the cross talk that is re: Amazon and Apple, because it's sort of creeping into both threads.

But, let's try to keep the larger part of the topics in their respective threads.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:35 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
He was responding to another poster inferring paying a mortgage is somehow different then paying rent. Personally I disagree. You pay both by their due date or you end up on the street. Faster if you rent as it takes much longer to foreclose than it does to evict in NC. Explaining that the mortgage gives you equity over time misses the point in the thread.
Well, yes, from the month to month, hand to mouth perspective, the two payments are similar.
And, in no other way, philosophically or economically are they similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the facts...

median income of Wake County, first result of Google is $67K. Per this site it's $76K.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
$67K @ 28% DTI ratio is ~ $250K mortgage.

the median price of sales in Wake County, last 12 months, is $292K. So, a little less than 20% down is needed.

Let us remember that many in the median income category already own their house, and so purchasing a more expensive house isn't in their plans anyway. The more relevant question would be "what does the average first-time buyer make as household income in Wake County?"
You used Wake County I just used Raleigh

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

But it's completely moot as the median isn't buying a $400k home, income just doesn't support it which your numbers show. That was the point that poster was trying to make.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 12:49 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, yes, from the month to month, hand to mouth perspective, the two payments are similar.
And, in no other way, philosophically or economically are they similar.
No one was saying otherwise, you are digging for an argument where there is none...

Old 06-19-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No one was saying otherwise, you are digging for an argument where there is none...
Sheesh.
No. No one is saying I am digging for an argument, unless you are.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
What part of I care about my welfare above any retailer do you not get? I don't care if Amazon is the only retailer, as long as I get low prices and good customer service.
Yeah. Collecting tchotchkes and other stuff cheap and easy is far more important than a healthy community.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 PM

205 posts, read 182,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
What part of I care about my welfare above any retailer do you not get? I don't care if Amazon is the only retailer, as long as I get low prices and good customer service.
America in a nutshell. Me and my needs first and foremost and others be damned.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:31 PM

The retailers left have mostly adapted to Amazon's "marketplace" pricing level. I notice most things are of similar cost and some things can be quite pricey on Amazon compared to local retail.

I also have gotten fakes or "seconds" in the past from Amazon so I'm mostly done with them. Their retail sales are the majority of their revenue but their margin is ultra slim. They are the Walmart of online retail, but worse because they don't vet their products like Walmart does.

Honestly it wouldn't take a lot for another "marketplace" type seller to take them on and start chipping away. People are price sensitive for many items.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 PM

360 posts, read 400,037 times
Is Apple coming here or not. The latest article from wral makes me wonder whether their previous reporting had any true sources.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/06...k-intensifies/

Old 06-20-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
Is Apple coming here or not. The latest article from wral makes me wonder whether their previous reporting had any true sources.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/06...k-intensifies/
Of course, it is all guesswork, looking for clues, looking for credible sources amidst endless conjecture.
And, there is the Ikea kerfuffle helping to stoke tentativeness, where they withdrew after great fanfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary