Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 09:55 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times

Advertisements

As a 52 year old, I hear the words "places to go for lunch" or "things to do after work" and all I think about is $$$ spent. As one of those senior directors, I worked to hard over the years to get where I am to be in an over-crowded and expensive downtown environment. Give me the 'burbs any day of the week.

It actually appears to me that its those kids with all the college debt and less disposable income are the ones that that desire working in a down-town environment. Not the VP's and Directors to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:06 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
As a 52 year old, I hear the words "places to go for lunch" or "things to do after work" and all I think about is $$$ spent. As one of those senior directors, I worked to hard over the years to get where I am to be in an over-crowded and expensive downtown environment. Give me the 'burbs any day of the week.

It actually appears to me that its those kids with all the college debt and less disposable income are the ones that that desire working in a down-town environment. Not the VP's and Directors to be honest.
Well, it’s a certain hip vibe and community people seek. With the marriage and birth rate plummeting, and prolonged singleness being the urban norm, people are valuing being near amenities and communities of other cosmopolitan people and events.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Well, it’s a certain hip vibe and community people seek. With the marriage and birth rate plummeting, and prolonged singleness being the urban norm, people are valuing being near amenities and communities of other cosmopolitan people and events.
You're generalizing.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:22 AM

171 posts, read 142,816 times
Interesting discussion. I think there are a ton of VP's and Directors living ITB. Some commute from ITB out to RTP, others go downtown. The West Cary suburbs have great proximity to RTP, other suburbs have better access to downtown Raleigh or Durham.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone had a large house and lot close to where they work? Unfortunately there's not enough land so the lots keep getting pushed further away and traffic keeps increasing. When the choice is commuting from Johnston County or Zebulon to RTP, or from Pittsboro/Wake Forest to DTR it doesn't really matter. You can either spend time on your commute, or pay the price for your suburban dream home or a smaller ITB place.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
27614, another posh suburb, has its fair share of people who work in RTP too.

When the economy is running flat-out, as it has for several years and as it did 1997-2000, corporate executives don't worry much about commercial real estate cost and individual workers can be choosy about the jobs they take and what their commutes will be.

When the economy craps out -- as it did in 2008-10, and as it inevitably will again -- corporate executives get hungry for the cheapest decent office space they can find, and individual workers will commute to RTP or even another city in the Triangle if that's what is necessary to get a job.

It's also a big company vs small company thing. At one time IBM had 17,000 people in RTP. Nortel had 13,500 if you include badged contractors. Good luck finding space for that large a workforce in downtown Raleigh or downtown Durham.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 PM

360 posts, read 399,478 times
Looks like Apple is cutting revenue forecasts due to weak iPhone demand. They need to get into services and content rather than relying 100% on iPhones. They missed out big time on Netflix.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:21 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
Looks like Apple is cutting revenue forecasts due to weak iPhone demand. They need to get into services and content rather than relying 100% on iPhones. They missed out big time on Netflix.
They're working hard on services and it's growing at a very good rate...on track to double revenue in that segment from 2016 to 2020. And we should start to see some fruits of their video content efforts later this year.

Of course, services still pales in comparison to iPhone, but then again everything does.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Takes a different set of skills to run a content business while the hardware business flips from a growth mode to a replacement cycle. Hard to say whether Apple can pull this off. The content business has more variations worldwide than the hardware business, and the global SG&A can eat them alive if they're not careful.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:37 PM

360 posts, read 399,478 times
Apple needs fresh ideas and needs do what IBM did with Red Hat. They just overpaid $10 billion buying back their own stock. Not sure what they’re thinking.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
iTunes Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books
Apple Music
App Store
iCloud

Are those not services? They are, they're just not compelling to use. iCloud storage is too expensive. Nobody wants to purchase Movies/TV anymore. The Music UI sucks.

App Store is a huge source of revenue for them.

Word on the street is that they will have a streaming competitor, but I doubt it will be compelling enough to gain significant marketshare, much like Music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary