Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM

80 posts, read 79,661 times

Advertisements

http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wtvd/docs...y-planning.pdf

A few years back I attended a local public meeting where someone high up in the echelon of Emergency Management addressed this issue. He said that if alarms sound, parents are not supposed to go to the schools to pick up their children. This is to avoid mass confusion and gridlock. Instead, the kids will be loaded onto school buses and taken to the locations shown on the map in the document above.

I asked the speaker how long it would take the buses to load the kids within the ten-mile zone and get them to other locations and he admitted it would take a lot of time to accomplish.

Assuming radiation is being released, the kids would sadly be exposed. But what surprised me is that many of the locations the kids would be bused to are also within a danger zone, depending on wind direction. This is because the radiation would not just stay within the ten-mile zone.

To me the decision to place the plant where it is is insane and irresponsible because of prevailing winds. Chances of anything going wrong may be slim, but I don't even want to think about what would happen in a real emergency.

There is a lot of PR surrounding nuclear plants because energy is big business and necessary.

http://https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/do-you-live-within-50-miles-nuclear-power-plant-180950072/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
^^^ Ridiculous, Wake County no longer provides busing unless you sign up for it and if your kid doesn't show up on the bus for "x" number of days they take away busing. My daughter has to go through this nonsense on the rare days she takes the bus home when she doesn't have a sports practice.

Then there are all the transfer students and private school students who aren't entitled to busing.

And then you are hoping that someone who makes $12/hour actually shows up to drive the bus.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^ Ridiculous, Wake County no longer provides busing unless you sign up for it and if your kid doesn't show up on the bus for "x" number of days they take away busing. My daughter has to go through this nonsense on the rare days she takes the bus home when she doesn't have a sports practice.

Then there are all the transfer students and private school students who aren't entitled to busing.

And then you are hoping that someone who makes $12/hour actually shows up to drive the bus.
In an emergency situation, they're not going to be concerned with which students are signed up for bussing and which aren't. ALL students will be bussed to their evac facility. Private schools (within 10 miles) will have their own emergency plan.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
In an emergency situation, they're not going to be concerned with which students are signed up for bussing and which aren't. ALL students will be bussed to their evac facility. Private schools (within 10 miles) will have their own emergency plan.
Ya think? I don't. WCPSS is short buses and all those kids who normally don't ride the bus probably aren't going to get on as many are already packing them in like sardines. Hence the reason for this policy in the first place. Hopefully, we will never had to find out exactly how this goes, but the idea that every parent isn't going to flock directly to little Johnny's school because the gubmint says not to is patently ridiculous.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Ya think? I don't. WCPSS is short buses and all those kids who normally don't ride the bus probably aren't going to get on as many are already packing them in like sardines. Hence the reason for this policy in the first place. Hopefully, we will never had to find out exactly how this goes, but the idea that every parent isn't going to flock directly to little Johnny's school because the gubmint says not to is patently ridiculous.
They aren't putting them on their normal buses...they'll dispatch as many buses as they can and just load up. Only a small portion of WCPSS is within the evac zone...buses that serve dozens of other unaffected schools in the district would be called in to help.

I agree the logistics of getting drivers to report in and get the buses over there quickly isn't ideal, and every parent is going to want to rush over there to get their kids, but if you've ever seen carpool on a normal day, just imagine what it would be like in an emergency like this.

If you can get the buses there in any sort of timely manner, it's going to be much more efficient to do that with many fewer densely packed vehicles still under WCPSS control to get them out of immediate danger and then sort out which kids belong to which parents later.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
We're not talking about evacuating the entire county. There are enough busses for the schools within the 10 mile zone. And they aren't going to refuse to evacuate kids who don't normally ride the bus.

And if every parent flocks to little Johnny's school, they're only going to make matters worse. And it will be their own fault when they're stuck in a massive line of non-moving traffic. There has to be systems in place for emergency situations. We can't just let chaos rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary