Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times

Advertisements

The difference is that the Warehouse District is a neighborhood in downtown Raleigh while NoDA and South End are neighborhoods outside bordering downtown Charlotte.

http://images.raleighskyline.com/ima...ine.com_29.jpg

The historic lowrises in the foreground are the Warehouse District, in this photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I honestly don't think you would like living in Charlotte or Raleigh. Both are much more like Atlanta and Phoenix than they are like San Diego, New York City, Washington DC, etc... that you mentioned as places you like.

Charlotte and Raleigh are both going to have too suburban a mindset for you. Both have people that live downtown and pockets of urbanity, but the vast majority of the area is going to be single family homes in wooded neighborhoods. I don't think it will be as urban as what you are trying to find.

If you like living in San Diego and can afford to stay there, I would recommend staying put.
Uh...San Diego is extremely suburban. What are you smoking?

I'm single and 31, and not bored. Frankly I like NC cities much more than the vastly overrated major cities that routinely thrash them in the City vs City forum. The dirty truth is that outside a few exceptions like New York or DC--which you have to be a millionaire to afford these days, you're living in a car dependent city, and pretty much all the major cities considered 'hipster meccas' have as bad sprawl or worse. That's the way the whole country is.

Proportionally for their size, Charlotte and Raleigh are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:19 PM

571 posts, read 714,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Uh...San Diego is extremely suburban. What are you smoking?
San Diego is extremely suburban outside of downtown and what is known as "Mid-City," which was built up during the first few decades of the last century. There are many walkable neighborhoods in the Mid-City area. I mentioned several of these neighborhoods in a prior post. I live in one of them. I have a large variety of restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, musical venues, movie theater, unique shops, parks, along with a grocery store, post office, drug store, workout facilities, and other common retail, all within a short walk from my house. There's a major music festival twice a year, an arts festival, and Rock 'n Roll Marathon in my neighborhood. And I'm in one of the smaller of these Mid-City neighborhoods. Some of the neighborhoods have San Diego Trolley stations, or express bus service to the SD Trolley, so they're connected to downtown, which is great for people who work downtown. And a major new trolley lines is currently under construction that will connect with the University of California San Diego Campus. San Diego State University is already on the Trolley line. And downtown San Diego has been exploding the last several years with large-scale development. High-rise condos and apartment buildings are going up all over downtown San Diego. It's been incredible. Millennials are saying "no" to the suburbs.

Last edited by brichard; 01-24-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 02:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard
I have a large variety of restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, musical venues, movie theater, unique shops, parks, along with a grocery store, post office, drug store, workout facilities, and other common retail, all within a short walk from my house. There's a major music festival twice a year, an arts festival, and Rock 'n Roll Marathon in my neighborhood.
So do I. It's not that remarkable. Every city has neighborhoods like that. The thing is, millennials are rejecting the suburban life everywhere, and most cities are making strides.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Brichard, take a look at that link I posted of Durham. I think you might enjoy exploring it that way. It's pretty cool. The NC Museum of Life & Science posted it on facebook.

Quote:
Museum of Life and Science
4 hrs ·
You know Durham is cool – now you can show everyone why! Take a virtual tour of the Bull City no matter where you are. Visit 360.durham-nc.com on your mobile device or desktop computer to get started.
#virtualdurham #knowwonder

Old 01-24-2018, 07:21 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Brichard, take a look at that link I posted of Durham. I think you might enjoy exploring it that way. It's pretty cool. The NC Museum of Life & Science posted it on facebook.
That is a super cool website. Props for posting it. Spent a good half hour checking it out even though I’m in Durham a lot!

Old 01-25-2018, 09:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Others have already said it but it can't be emphasized enough that the structural attributes of the Warehouse District as part of downtown Raleigh are fundamentally different than the two neighborhoods being compared in Charlotte. Downtown Raleigh is pretty compact, which I think has its positives as much as others might see it as a negative. It's completely reasonable for someone to walk from the very center of the city, through other DT districts and into the single family, turn of the century neighborhoods that flank it east and west.
The Warehouse District, along with Glenwood South establish a pretty significant western flank of downtown that has seen, and continues to see, a lot of investment and energy. This is where the vast majority of new downtown housing has landed and it is not leading the way with significant retail development from The Dillon (Warehouse) to Smokey Hollow (Glenwood South). A unifying corridor is being established along West St. and Harrington St. where all sorts of projects have recently been completed, are under construction or on the drawing boards. Coincidentally, this is also part of the corridor that Raleigh has pitched to Amazon for HQ2. It's also earshot to the proposed soccer stadium that is planned just east of Glenwood South. Of course, all of this area is walkable between the two districts, to the very center of the city and to the single family homes to their immediate west. Rail isn't needed to experience any of these districts and the free circulating RLine bus is more than sufficient to access the east side of downtown.
To the very near west of this corridor lies Cameron Village which is exploding in its own right with more housing and the NC State campus with its own corridor development. While a mile+ or so from the very center of the city, these areas are arguably still closer to the center of the Raleigh than either NoDa or Southend are to Charlotte's center.
2018 will be a watershed year for downtown's west side. While a lot of projects will continue to be constructed and planned, the key projects in the Warehouse District will practically simultaneously open for business, including Union Station, Dillon and Morgan Street Food Hall. 2019 & 2020 will only pour on top of that with OneGlenwood and Smokey Hollow coming on line, along with other smaller projects and the realignment of the northern gateway to the city: Capital Blvd. rebuild and Devereux Meadows Park.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 01-25-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
The difference is that the Warehouse District is a neighborhood in downtown Raleigh while NoDA and South End are neighborhoods outside bordering downtown Charlotte.

http://images.raleighskyline.com/ima...ine.com_29.jpg

The historic lowrises in the foreground are the Warehouse District, in this photo.
This photo, only take less than 3 years ago, is already not representative of what one would see today if visited. These two major projects fundamentally change the Warehouse District. The first pair is the Dillon project and the second pair are the Union Station: multimodal transit station. Both of these projects near completion.
http://www.kanerealtycorp.com/wp-con...on-Rnrg-05.jpg
http://www.kanerealtycorp.com/wp-con...n-Retail-2.jpg
https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/Pl.../RUS042017.jpg
https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/Pl...nstruction.jpg

Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I have a large variety of restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, musical venues, movie theater, unique shops, parks, along with a grocery store, post office, drug store, workout facilities, and other common retail, all within a short walk from my house. There's a major music festival twice a year, an arts festival, and Rock 'n Roll Marathon in my neighborhood.
Quote:
So do I. It's not that remarkable. Every city has neighborhoods like that. The thing is, millennials are rejecting the suburban life everywhere, and most cities are making strides.
I get that millennials are rejecting suburbs everywhere, but you're missing the point. Your reply to CLT4 was "Uh...San Diego is extremely suburban. What are you smoking?" That's what I was replying to, pointing out the fact that a huge part of San Diego, called Mid-City, as well as Downtown, is NOT suburban AT ALL. Homes are very close together, and each neighborhood has an active business district. In quoting me, you excluded where I pointed out that my neighborhood is the smallest of these many walkable neighborhoods in San Diego, and that some neighborhoods are connected to the (currently expanding) San Diego Trolley system; and also that downtown San Diego is undergoing tremendous development of high-rise condos and apartment buildings. The Walk Score website gives these seventeen neighborhoods in San Diego walk scores of 80 or higher:

Rank Name Walk Score

1. Core-Columbia 98
2. Horton Plaza 97
3. Little Italy 97
4. Gaslamp 97
5. Harborview 97
6. Cortez 94
7. Marina 94
8. East Village 93
9. Village 88
10. Sherman Heights 87
11. Park West 86
12. Normal Heights 86
13. Grant Hill 85
14. Ocean Beach 82
15. North Park 81
16. Hillcrest 81
17. Logan Heights 80

https://www.walkscore.com/CA/San_Diego
The overall walk score for all of San Diego is 51. And the assessment is that "San Diego is Somewhat Walkable."

Meanwhile, there is no neighborhood in Raleigh with a walk score of 80. The highest score is 62 (thirty-eight San Diego neighborhoods have a higher score than that), and the overall score for Raleigh is 30. The assessment is that "Raleigh is a Car-Dependent city." https://www.walkscore.com/NC/Raleigh

That said, there are three neighborhoods in Charlotte with a walk score of 80 or higher: Fourth Ward, First Ward, and Second Ward. Eleven Charlotte neighborhoods have scores above 62. Charlotte's overall walk score is 26, and the assessment is "Charlotte is a Car-Dependent city." https://www.walkscore.com/NC/Charlotte

This takes me back to the very purpose of this thread: trying to find interesting and walkable neighborhoods like I'm used to in San Diego because they seem scarce in Charlotte and Raleigh.

Last edited by brichard; 01-25-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 11:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Eh, that Walkscore site is pretty tricky to use accurately. It works better if you put in a specific address or drop a pin.

Check this from the Edison Loft Apts in downtown Raleigh: https://www.walkscore.com/score/131-...leigh-nc-27601

It gets a 91.
Quote:
Looking for a home for sale in Raleigh?

Walk Score of 131 East Davie Street Raleigh NC 27601
Walker’s Paradise
Daily errands do not require a car.

Transit Score of 131 East Davie Street Raleigh NC 27601
Excellent Transit
Transit is convenient for most trips.

Bike Score of 131 East Davie Street Raleigh NC 27601
Bikeable
Flat as a pancake, some bike lanes.
As I mentioned on your other thread in the Charlotte forum, if this move is about being close to your parents it should be a no-brainer between Charlotte and Raleigh. Pick whichever one is closer to your parents. I've done it being 1.5 hrs from them and also being 15 minutes from them and I greatly preferred the 15 minutes. When you're 1.5 hrs from them you can only go visit on the weekend and then you either eat up a whole day traveling back and forth or you eat up a whole weekend if you stay over. (My brother liked to stay over; I preferred to go for the day.) When you're 15 minutes away it's actually much more helpful to your parents and much more sanity saving for you, or at least that's what I found. I wasn't dedicating a whole day or a whole weekend to traveling there and back and could just pop over for 30 minutes and check on them and then get back to my day.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Thanks! I actually saw that yesterday. I enjoyed the virtual tour. Are any of those neighborhoods Old West Durham or Walltown? Walkscore.com gives them very high scores. Top three walkable neighborhoods in Durham are Duke University - East Campus (75); Old West Durham (74); and Walltown (72).

https://www.walkscore.com/NC/Durham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary