Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 PM

571 posts, read 715,103 times

Advertisements

I see people in this forum frequently mention the Raleigh Warehouse District. The description of that area sounds a lot like South End in Charlotte, which is south of Uptown, and perhaps NoDa, which is north of Uptown. I have some familiarity with South End and NoDa, but I haven't been in Raleigh in about 25 years, so I am not familiar with the Warehouse District at all. Can someone who is familiar with Raleigh's Warehouse District and Charlotte's South End and NoDa compare and contrast?

My thoughts about the Charlotte districts are this: South End has a lot going on, and it's a fairly large area, but there is no core to it. It's missing a plaza or other unifying focal point that tells you that you are in the middle of it. It seems people come to the area with a specific destination in mind, and they go directly to their intended destination but nowhere else, so you don't see people out and about on the street. I was there on a recent Saturday afternoon, and there was not much of a vibe from what I could see. NoDa, in contrast, does have that focal point and so there is an energy there and people are out and about. But it's a really small district of only a few blocks. Does the Raleigh Warehouse District resemble either South End or NoDa in any of these respects? Is it vibrant like NoDa or quiet on the outside like South End. Is it small like NoDa or large like South End?

I'm posting this both here and in the Charlotte forum. I'm interested in all perspectives from anyone who knows these districts in both cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
NoDa is still relatively undeveloped but that will change quickly once the light rail line opens through there this spring.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
NoDa is still relatively undeveloped but that will change quickly once the light rail line opens through there this spring.
Yes, I was there last month and saw the new station. Service begins March 16. I'm wondering how the area compares to Raleigh's Warehouse District, which has the advantage of being between downtown and NCSU.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Yes, I was there last month and saw the new station. Service begins March 16. I'm wondering how the area compares to Raleigh's Warehouse District, which has the advantage of being between downtown and NCSU.
Well right now the Warehouse District is definitely farther along than NoDa and I would say that South End is blowing up way faster than the Warehouse District - probably faster than any downtown area in Raleigh

Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
One thing to note is that the OP is comparing a downtown Raleigh neighborhood to a non-downtown Charlotte neighborhood. Raleigh's WD is 0.5 miles from the center of downtown Raleigh. South End extends 3 miles south of Charlotte's center.

Also, I think the two are a really bad comparison. South End is a 1/2 mile wide transit oriented development strip as seen here and here.

NODA is pretty-much the same as South End. However (as stated already) it does not have nearly as much density as South End because light rail service doesn't start there until March of this year. In 5-7 years, I'd expect Noda/Villa Heights to be similar to South End/Wilmore.

The closest thing Charlotte has to a warehouse district is probably the small area on Morehead Street near Freedom Drive in the Wesley Heights/3rd Ward vicinity. However, even that area isn't very well preserved. Low density structures from Charlotte's past (hate it or love it) get bulldozed and trucked out of town on a regular basis.

As a result, Charlotte doesn't have a Warehouse District. And if we did it's probably in the hood with shattered windows, cockroach infestations, and a ton of fire code violations; patiently waiting for the Gentrification Fairy to put it out of it's misery.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 PM

15 posts, read 12,684 times
Warehouse District isn't really big at all--in area or density. Besides the new Dillion Tower all the future mid-rising towers will be built just a street or two away from the district: 301H, 400H, One Glenwood, City of Raleigh tower, N&O site tower. But low risers are in the works as Raleigh just approved last week the new 12 story building next to Crank Arm and a New York developer bought two office buildings and will soon request adjustments to build one or two 10 story buildings.

I think once the future Bus Rapid Transit is up and running the area south of Downtown Raleigh will be Raleigh's NODA/South End area in about 10 years from now.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:34 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
One thing to note is that the OP is comparing a downtown Raleigh neighborhood to a non-downtown Charlotte neighborhood. Raleigh's WD is 0.5 miles from the center of downtown Raleigh. South End extends 3 miles south of Charlotte's center.
Yeah, the Raleigh WD is just a subsection of Downtown Raleigh, like City Market is. There isn't even really a break that sets it aside from the rest of downtown in the way that, say, all the stuff near Oakwood where Oak City Cycling Project is.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuyTravels View Post
Warehouse District isn't really big at all--in area or density. Besides the new Dillion Tower all the future mid-rising towers will be built just a street or two away from the district: 301H, 400H, One Glenwood, City of Raleigh tower, N&O site tower. But low risers are in the works as Raleigh just approved last week the new 12 story building next to Crank Arm and a New York developer bought two office buildings and will soon request adjustments to build one or two 10 story buildings.

I think once the future Bus Rapid Transit is up and running the area south of Downtown Raleigh will be Raleigh's NODA/South End area in about 10 years from now.
I hope Raleigh aims higher than that. NoDa is interesting and I like it, but currently it's really small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Also, I think the two are a really bad comparison. South End is a 1/2 mile wide transit oriented development strip as seen here and here.

NODA is pretty-much the same as South End. However (as stated already) it does not have nearly as much density as South End because light rail service doesn't start there until March of this year. In 5-7 years, I'd expect Noda/Villa Heights to be similar to South End/Wilmore.

The closest thing Charlotte has to a warehouse district is probably the small area on Morehead Street near Freedom Drive in the Wesley Heights/3rd Ward vicinity. However, even that area isn't very well preserved. Low density structures from Charlotte's past (hate it or love it) get bulldozed and trucked out of town on a regular basis.

As a result, Charlotte doesn't have a Warehouse District. And if we did it's probably in the hood with shattered windows, cockroach infestations, and a ton of fire code violations; patiently waiting for the Gentrification Fairy to put it out of it's misery.
I'm just trying to figure out if there is an exciting area to hang out in Raleigh. South End does have the advantages of light rail, and I would think that would bring about a vibrancy to the area. But like I mentioned, people seem to go straight to a specific indoor destination. There's nothing about it that invites walking around, browsing shops, or just hanging out in a park. So while there may be things going on inside business establishments, the street life seems rather sleepy. Maybe in Raleigh, given the compact nature of the downtown area, there is more of a street scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Well right now the Warehouse District is definitely farther along than NoDa and I would say that South End is blowing up way faster than the Warehouse District - probably faster than any downtown area in Raleigh
South End may be blowing up faster than the Warehouse District, but South Ends sidewalks remain empty from what I've seen. It's not very pedestrian friendly. It lacks a park or plaza that would invite people in and give it vibrancy and life outside of the business structures there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Yeah, the Raleigh WD is just a subsection of Downtown Raleigh, like City Market is. There isn't even really a break that sets it aside from the rest of downtown in the way that, say, all the stuff near Oakwood where Oak City Cycling Project is.
So would you say Raleigh's downtown as a whole has an active, vibrant street scene? I did hear that Raleigh imposed a midnight or 1 AM curfew in DT, which certainly puts a damper on having a fun and buzzing nightlife.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:33 AM

183 posts, read 103,702 times
Quote:

So would you say Raleigh's downtown as a whole has an active, vibrant street scene? I did hear that Raleigh imposed a midnight or 1 AM curfew in DT, which certainly puts a damper on having a fun and buzzing nightlife.
There is no curfew I know of other than the noise ordinance for outdoor bands and outside music of 11 pm which is pretty common in every city. I come home from my sisters at 2-2:30 am many nights since I have been working in Raleigh and down in Charleston and Downtown Raleigh is pretty filled with hipsters, service industry people, etc. biking or walking home just like in Charleston.

I would say from Fayetteville street to the warehouse district is pretty much alive any night of the week in my experience .

Old 01-22-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
South End may be blowing up faster than the Warehouse District, but South Ends sidewalks remain empty from what I've seen. It's not very pedestrian friendly. It lacks a park or plaza that would invite people in and give it vibrancy and life outside of the business structures there
There's a bike/pedestrian path along the light rail line that is used pretty frequently by people who live in the area and use it to get to/from "uptown" Charlotte.

But yup no "central" location that I would think of when I think of South End. Warehouse District doesn't have one currently but will soon with the train station.

Quote:
I hope Raleigh aims higher than that. NoDa is interesting and I like it, but currently it's really small.
I like NoDa, it's fine the way it is now but that won't last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary