Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:41 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's really a shame because in their heyday (1980's roughly) Toys R Us stores were almost magical for a kid, with the good presentation and sheer size of the stores, which was a novelty in itself.

I am surprised that there were even two stores in Durham, especially that close together. It doesn't seem like a large enough market to support two stores, even when they were doing better.
One is a babies r us totally different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 03:42 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
One is a babies r us totally different
Okay. That makes a little more sense.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:38 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
I didn't even know the 15-501 store was still open. The parking lot is always so empty I just assumed it was closed.
I passed by there a few months ago while I was at the nearby Target and noticed that too. The one in Danville is the same way. You could do donuts in the parking lot and not worry about hitting any parked cars. How that one didn't get the ax is beyond me.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Years ago, the company that bought TRU wanted only the baby stores but got stuck with the toy stores to get the deal.

The previous owners were stuck running 12 month toy stores while only doing great in the fourth quarter. Walmart and Target sell other goods and have a steady money stream.

TRU put in the baby stores but still have a big problem with competition in B&M and online.

My college major was marketing and I see a Chapter 7 liquidation up the road for TRU. The Chapter 11 will only prolong its demise.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
All stores will close Friday.

https://www.wral.com/toys-r-us-to-cl...iday/17652892/

Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
I was over near the one in Triangle Town Center last week when they were auctioning off the interior furnishings and fixtures, busiest I'd seen the place in years. Was pretty sad actually.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:49 PM

135 posts, read 598,978 times
Anyone checked these liquidations out? Are the deals good enough to warrant a trip?

Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
Anyone checked these liquidations out? Are the deals good enough to warrant a trip?
Not really, they mark crap up before the liquidation starts so that the "deals" that they offer are basically just what you would be reamed for normally. A lot of "good stuff" is pulled and sent elsewhere.

I did swing by the location in Crossroads last week on a whim just to see what was left and there was basically no boardgames except for a giant wall of Cars Monopoly. Made me laugh. Like they clearly just got in all this stock before **** hit the fan and now it has to be unloaded. Cars. Monopoly.

I've never seen so much shelf space dedicated to something so hilarious, but it's there because they have to unload as much of it as possible at once and have no reason to keep any of it in a storeroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary