U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 09:58 PM

73 posts, read 377,012 times

Advertisements

hey everybody

im 31, live in MA, i am the VP of sales and marketing for the 2nd largest chamber of commerce in MA...

how are the jobs down there? i make about 75,000 right now and want to be able to have my wife stay home and start a family

ive been at this job for over 7 years (since college) and excelled and really dont want to leave the job, but its come down to the point that with our combined income of over $100,000 ... we cant afford the very basic entry of a $450,000 starter ranch that is a total piece of crap with everything wrong and needing fixing, plus we'd both have to work to be a slave to this horrible ranch... the condo options up here are even worse..

so whats the job market like for a guy like me? ive been in the non-profit, (actually ive been profitting quite a bit), but im used to working in a small office 10-20 people... are there a lot of jobs down there in small offices?

i feel like there are a ton of private tech and research firms that are really large in raleigh and im wondering do i want to work for one... or are there smaller companies that would compensate financially. what do you all do for work??

any advice would be great as my job is the only thing keeping us here in MA right now.. i absolutely love my job, but want to start a family soon.

we have $20,000 saved and are going to fly the coop with $35,000. is that too little? we're thinking of renting down there first to get to know the area. we presently don't own a home and have been renting for 5-6 years...

thanks in advance
erik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 11:29 AM

271 posts, read 1,113,265 times
I don't think you would have a problem at all coming down this way. You can buy a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood with what you're planning to come down here with. I actually know a couple of people at the Raleigh Convention Bureau, they might know a bit more about that type of work that you're in and may know some leads in that arena. PM me if you are interested about that. Know sure how compensation would match up down here as the inflation and markets are different you would have to do some research on that. But it seems you've already got a good head start.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatrendsetter View Post
I don't think you would have a problem at all coming down this way. You can buy a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood with what you're planning to come down here with. I actually know a couple of people at the Raleigh Convention Bureau, they might know a bit more about that type of work that you're in and may know some leads in that arena. PM me if you are interested about that. Know sure how compensation would match up down here as the inflation and markets are different you would have to do some research on that. But it seems you've already got a good head start.
thanks for your help... i'll definitely be PMing you

anybody else??

:thumbsup

Old 12-14-2006, 04:45 PM

btw...

what field is the best to work in down there... what do most people do for a living that live in the Raleigh area??

any hot genres? we're BOOMING with biotech up here in MA. lots of other jobs have left the area.

Posters, what does everyone do for a job?

Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 15,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear717 View Post
hey everybody

im 31, live in MA, i am the VP of sales and marketing for the 2nd largest chamber of commerce in MA...

how are the jobs down there? i make about 75,000 right now and want to be able to have my wife stay home and start a family

ive been at this job for over 7 years (since college) and excelled and really dont want to leave the job, but its come down to the point that with our combined income of over $100,000 ... we cant afford the very basic entry of a $450,000 starter ranch that is a total piece of crap with everything wrong and needing fixing, plus we'd both have to work to be a slave to this horrible ranch... the condo options up here are even worse..

so whats the job market like for a guy like me? ive been in the non-profit, (actually ive been profitting quite a bit), but im used to working in a small office 10-20 people... are there a lot of jobs down there in small offices?

i feel like there are a ton of private tech and research firms that are really large in raleigh and im wondering do i want to work for one... or are there smaller companies that would compensate financially. what do you all do for work??

any advice would be great as my job is the only thing keeping us here in MA right now.. i absolutely love my job, but want to start a family soon.

we have $20,000 saved and are going to fly the coop with $35,000. is that too little? we're thinking of renting down there first to get to know the area. we presently don't own a home and have been renting for 5-6 years...

thanks in advance
erik
I'm trying to find out similar info...I'm an accountant and my wife is a nurse....we'll cut loose from PA and head to NC with a nice amount of cash in the bank but I want to iron out the JOB first....my wife should have no problem finding something, but I'm not sure what the market is like down there for an accountant. I also have a small real estate investment company, but I need to learn the area there before that kicks in.....

Mike and Aliesha

Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 AM

173 posts, read 870,802 times
Greetings Jet Seters,

I just moved here LAST WEEK from Maryland. I have been on careerbuilder and moster.com for the last month looking for a job. I have been getting some calls, but they are not the type of jobs that I want to do (recruiting, adminstrative asst, etc), but what I do know is its all about WHO you know, not what you know.

I fell in love with this area. The weather is beautiful and the people are friendly. I give your move TWO Thumbs up! You will love it and your wife wont have to work. All you really need to make to be successful here is around 50-60K. I know that's not a lot of money, but what I am learning in my one week here is that it's not about money here. PEOPLE are HAPPY and as you know money doesnt equal happiness......

Good LUCK!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 AM

5,417 posts, read 15,429,161 times
"I'm an accountant and my wife is a nurse........my wife should have no problem finding something....."

Be careful with that assumption, mikeandali. I've seen a few posts already this past week from people in the medical field having trouble finding work. One was in the medical records field and the other was a therapist. The statement was made that the hospitals are receiving thousands of applications. Perhaps nursing is different.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 AM

4,967 posts, read 11,001,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
"I'm an accountant and my wife is a nurse........my wife should have no problem finding something....."

Be careful with that assumption, mikeandali. I've seen a few posts already this past week from people in the medical field having trouble finding work. One was in the medical records field and the other was a therapist. The statement was made that the hospitals are receiving thousands of applications. Perhaps nursing is different.

Nursing is different....

I know at Duke they are giving 2500 bonuses to employees who refer nurses that come to work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary