U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 AM

19,454 posts, read 29,029,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Father is a home inspector and says stay away from national builders. Taylor Morrison just built a bunch in Wake Forest that pipes keep freezing. It's because some of the pipes have been routed to the outside when they should be in the inside. That's will probably be only a minor issue compared to the other ones that will pop up.
My BIL is a retired GC/custom home builder and he is appalled at what he sees being built around here. He's ultra picky, but still.....would not buy a new build here at the price points we're seeing unless I bought the land, chose the builder and his crew and was there several times a week (preferably with said BIL) to oversee the build. That's the #1 reason we didn't build when we moved here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 AM

686 posts, read 732,783 times
Need to stay on top of new construction as the unskilled labor is a huge concern and most of the Construction Managers are under pressure by Corporate to get them up at any way they can to meet strict close deadlines for their financial statements for Wall Street.

Need to know how to read an inspection report as the inspector can’t come right out and say this house stinks move on but they do offer clues by the way they write the report and please do get an inspection on a new house pre drywall/completion etc.,

My rentals in Bella Casa Parkside by Lennar were a complete botch job but I took daily pictures/ videos which is unlikely for most and made them fix or I can use for future help if something goes wrong. I still had to redo a lot as the materials are cheap and they caulk rather than seal etc., but that part of the development with it’s Bella Casa brand name is an utter disaster. See sales there have picked up after only after a few years as word is out but probably on deaf ears. My rental in Pearson Farms built by Hunt homes is a gem compared to most new construction or newer homes.

I’ll stop rambling but know that new construction needs the same scrutiny as a resale and don’t get fooled by the bells and whistles as you can always update that older home with new products.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,583,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTISD View Post
That's not good to hear about Taylor Morrison. Does NC code allow the pipes to be routed outside knowing we have winters with below freezing temperatuers?

Unfortunately yes it does. Builders are putting tankless water heaters outside of homes so they don't have to vent them. Shameful.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:43 AM

3,107 posts, read 7,709,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Some of this depends on the builder. Some builders include more with their base pricing. Lennar has granite countertops included. Not sure about the others.
I purchased a Lennar home 5 years ago and I have been very happy with it. No major issues at all and very few minor issues that I think would and have happened with just about any builder, including custom.

After rebates, we only paid a little over 5% of the base price and got it heavily optioned for what they offered at the time. We did get some credits towards options, which basically stopped the week after we put a contract on the house. We literally bought our house within the last week of any type of builder credits as the home marking was really starting to rebound in early 2013. Since that time the new home prices have taken off and our house is worth over $100k more than what we purchased it for almost 5 years ago.

Even without getting the credits, we would have only spent 7-8% more than the base price to get it heavily optioned. Lennar is a little different than other national builders though. They really did offer many included things that other builders option out. The fixtures and appliances were all really nice too. I looked up a lot of them online and they didn't cheap out on either of those. I think Pulte and Beazer you're looking at spending 15-20% than the base price for options. Lennar/Cal Atlantic might be a little different now in 2018, not sure.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:34 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,583,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I purchased a Lennar home 5 years ago and I have been very happy with it. No major issues at all and very few minor issues that I think would and have happened with just about any builder, including custom.

After rebates, we only paid a little over 5% of the base price and got it heavily optioned for what they offered at the time. We did get some credits towards options, which basically stopped the week after we put a contract on the house. We literally bought our house within the last week of any type of builder credits as the home marking was really starting to rebound in early 2013. Since that time the new home prices have taken off and our house is worth over $100k more than what we purchased it for almost 5 years ago.

Even without getting the credits, we would have only spent 7-8% more than the base price to get it heavily optioned. Lennar is a little different than other national builders though. They really did offer many included things that other builders option out. The fixtures and appliances were all really nice too. I looked up a lot of them online and they didn't cheap out on either of those. I think Pulte and Beazer you're looking at spending 15-20% than the base price for options. Lennar/Cal Atlantic might be a little different now in 2018, not sure.

I bought a Lennar home in 2017 and there were no builder credits. We only added 5 inch hardwoods (3 inch were included) and a couple of lights. Everything else was more than adequate already. I think we added somewhere along the lines of 3-4k in add ons so about 1% of the purchase price. We've been happy with our purchase as well. Every problem we've had (and there have been a few) they've been very responsive to fixing.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,404,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post

There is a huge difference in the market compared to 2013 when builders were still throwing money at buyers. Standard feature lists have been pared down, options are pricier, and incentives are meager. Your 5 year old home would likely cost at least as much to build today as the value increase you have seen, and might be in a less desirable location as land gets scooped up.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:55 PM

388 posts, read 361,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
There is a huge difference in the market compared to 2013 when builders were still throwing money at buyers. Standard feature lists have been pared down, options are pricier, and incentives are meager. Your 5 year old home would likely cost at least as much to build today as the value increase you have seen, and might be in a less desirable location as land gets scooped up.
THIS.

My home was just about 5 years old in 2013 and I can recall how there was no feeling of having to make an offer immediately. The market was still quiet and negotiations worked in my favor. I got a pristine house for less than what the seller paid in 2008. All the upgrades were already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary