Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 03:11 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times

Advertisements

I think the other business Alpaca is doing well and they can't get money for expansion of original business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I think the other business Alpaca is doing well and they can't get money for expansion of original business.

I'm guessing that they don't want to continue with the Mama Nori's name. Alpaca is the one they want to brand. I presume they plan on franchising it.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
The Mami Nora's name was retired when ownership of the business switched hands to the children of the owner. Alpaca is the result of the children's expansion efforts. They probably kept one as MN instead of rebranding it as a tribute to their parents efforts.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:12 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,464 times
I think that location is cursed. How long was the Chinese buffet open? A month?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I think that location is cursed. How long was the Chinese buffet open? A month?
I believe there was some scandal that happened here a good while back when it was a sports bar:

Ex-Durham Cop Found Guilty of Assault
http://wr.al/5NBN

Old 01-03-2019, 06:44 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Mami Nora's on Glenwood has been saying they are "opening soon" for about two years now. What can possibly be the delay? Any ideas?
Wahlburgered.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 PM

853 posts, read 588,258 times
Agree with all the above. I've been tracking the Mami's location on Glenwood for almost two years now. I stopped by in June 2017 ans spoke to an employee who was cleaning the glass entry doors. She said they would open in about two weeks. Ha.

I stopped by in September of last year (2018) and encountered the owners who said they would open in October. Ha again.

Meanwhile, the lights are on and yet nothing is happening. Somebody is paying the lease and the power bills with no income to support same. The Triangle Business Journal ran a story a year ago about delays due to permits, but surely those issues have been resolved. I'm thinking the place will never open, although I hope it does.

Something is going on besides permit delays. Finances, tax dodges, bad management, take your pick. The TBJ reported that they want to elevate the original place on WF road to alleviate flooding from nearby Crabtree Creek. It was getting shabby the last time I was there. So I'm thinking they want the Glenwood location up and running before the renovations on WF Road. Still nothing is happening.

The Alpaca side of the family took over a closed restaurant in Brier Creek and had it up and running in about two months. Maybe they need to take over the Glenwood place and get it going.

Reference was made to the Glenwood location being doomed. That could happen if Mami's doesn't open soon. IIRC, it was originally Blinco's, which I enjoyed. After it closed, I heard the owners lost it over non-payment of taxes. Then the Japanese Sushi place was there didn't last long. Mami's can't live long on the hype of "coming soon".

Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times
Too bad to hear, we frequent the Wake Forest Road one and would go to other locations if they every open. I think we have been to the BC Alpaca and it was slightly more expensive, but not as expensive as Viva.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 AM

163 posts, read 154,644 times
Quote:
Reference was made to the Glenwood location being doomed. That could happen if Mami's doesn't open soon. IIRC, it was originally Blinco's, which I enjoyed. After it closed, I heard the owners lost it over non-payment of taxes. Then the Japanese Sushi place was there didn't last long. Mami's can't live long on the hype of "coming soon".
It was at least two other things before it was Blinco's.

Maybe a Sam Snead's or a Houlihan's or something like those.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:17 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:

Something is going on besides permit delays. Finances, tax dodges, bad management, take your pick..

Why on earth would you say such a thing? Terrible rumor to start without any facts. Running a small business, especially a restaurant, is hard enough without careless comment like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary