Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Looking at it, I just took away an impression of, “geez that’s a lot of parking lot.” I wonder what the parking numbers look like. Is there any green space incorporated in this project?
For some reason, Wegman's likes these hybrid shopping center arrangements -- most of it is a fairly walkable lifestyle center (a la North Hills), but then there's this huge conventional grocery box facing a giant parking field at one end. The Raleigh and West Cary stores have pretty much the same layout, as do almost all of the ones I've seen around DC and Boston (Leesburg, Woodmore, Woodbridge, Hilltop Alexandria, Hunt Valley, Chestnut Hill, Westwood). They're currently building out Metro-adjacent stores in multistory buildings in Tysons Corner and Hoffman Town Center; will be interesting to see how those work given that more customers will be arriving on foot from Metro or adjacent offices.

There are two greenways at the edges of Fenton, and four small green parks interspersed between the buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 01:14 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Saw this video today that sort of compare/contrasts the new mixed-use developments going in around the country with traditional main streets and traditional shopping centers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4XvEAUq8f8

Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
This recent article contains some info that I didn't know about the Fenton project, not sure if this is new info, or if I had just missed it: https://shoppingcenterbusiness.com/j...-of-retailers/

1. Hines, an absolutely massive real estate development company is involved in the project now. I had thought it was just Columbia Development Group.

2. Groundbreaking scheduled for this summer (2019)

3. Phase I scheduled to open in Fall of 2021.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:06 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
and, posted on Twitter 3 days ago:

Hines, Columbia Development Group, LLC and @USAA RealEstate, announced Fenton, a 69-acre mixed-use district in #Cary in Wake County. Plans call for 2.5M sqft of retail, office, hotel and apts. Includes a #Wegmans and a #Superica Tex-Mex. Next to WakeMed Soccer Park.

USAA was a surprise.

https://www.multihousingnews.com/pos...sf-nc-project/

https://mhpmag.com/2019/05/hines-and...orth-carolina/

Delayed ground-breaking, for sure!

Last edited by K4GPB; 05-11-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 07:49 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Yeah, the original rezoning ordinance required that Columbia be the purchaser of the property, so they had to go back and amend it last summer to broaden the allowed purchaser to include entities in which Columbia was a partner. Hines has been onboard for a while, but USAA is a new addition.

Doesn’t seem like the timeline has changed too much. Clearing and grading was intended to start “soon” after the April 1 purchase of the site with an early 2021 opening for Phase 1. So maybe six months later for Phase 1 opening, although not totally clear if that’s an apples to apples comparison as everything might not open at once. Wegmans, for example, as a stand-alone building could open whenever it’s ready.

Press release is the first confirmation I’ve noticed that this Wegmans is also being scaled back to 99,000 SF like the other Cary one. Was originally supposed to be 125,000. Not a surprise though.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Hines is the kind of company you hire to build skyscrapers; they've built almost a million cubicles. So having them (plus the strip-mall folks at Columbia) makes it more likely that the office and residential parts will succeed.

Interesting that the press release specifically mentions "loft" office. Hines has built "T3"-branded timber office buildings in Minneapolis and Atlanta, and has plans to do so in Chicago and Toronto:
https://builtworlds.com/news/develop...ood-buildings/
Mass timber (same kind of stuff on the ceiling at RDU Terminal 2) is increasingly common in new institutional buildings in the northwest, but has equally great potential in the southeast.

Last edited by paytonc; 05-12-2019 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 12:04 PM

Still no word on a groundbreaking at Fenton, but there will be some minor activity there over the next few weeks with soil borings.

Quote:
Starting next week, minor geotechnical activity will begin at Fenton. The work will involve some minimal vegetation removal (a series of small 10-foot corridors within the site) to provide access to do soil borings. No clearing or grading is associated with this activity, and all site access will occur from Trinity Road. We expect this work to conclude in mid-August.
https://carycitizen.com/2019/07/22/h...-town-council/

Old 08-12-2019, 11:36 AM

30% development plan has been submitted to the town. Proposing 380K sf of retail (95K of which is Wegmans), 400K sf (356 units) of residential, 195K sf of office, and 110K sf (175 rooms) of hotel.

Chunks at the southwest, north, and east edges are not included in this initial phase and will be developed later.

The initial phase includes 2600 parking spaces, with 1500 of those in two permanent parking decks (a two-level one in front of Wegmans and a taller one in the core). Another 840 of the spaces are on temporary surface lots that will presumably be developed into decks as buildout progresses.

Single-story retail will front Cary Towne Blvd to partially screen Wegmans and the parking deck. Office/residential/hotel core will be 4-6 stories depending on building. All of the office space in this phase is in multi-use buildings with retail on ground floor. Same with the residential.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.idtpl...ite%20Plan.pdf

Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Missed this last week while I was on vacation...Italian restaurant Colletta has signed on to open at Fenton.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...233655842.html

The original location of Colletta is at Avalon in Alpharetta, GA, which is what Columbia has kind of modeled Fenton on since the beginning.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:39 AM

31 posts, read 151,355 times
I live right beside the woods next to this atrocity being built, and trees and vegetation have been demolished. As I've watched trees being knocked down and the noise of tractors all throughout the day. It was quite a nuisance to my tranquil area I call home. This development is clearly being built for the wealthy and elite. Who will be living in the multi family homes? Only people whose income exceeds 100k a year. This development does nothing for Cary except bring more noise and traffic which we do not need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary