Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:03 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times

Advertisements

DPK gave a great link to part of the CSX problem. It all started when Mantle Ridge
and EHH (Hunter Harrison) got together. Somehow he forced his way into CSX as
CEO getting paid millions up front in an effort to "turn CSX around". CSX may not
have been making as much money as the stockholders wanted, thus the reason for
putting EHH in the hot seat. They were not doing that bad before all this from what
I've heard, just pure greed.

Once EHH was in charge he wasted no time in firing thousands of employees and closing
yards, terminals, etc. CSX and Northfolk Southern are both a complex set of railroads,
not like what he was used to at Canadian National and Canadian Pacific. In his attempt
at what he called "Precision Railroading" he created havoc all through CSX resulting in major
shipping delays, lost trains, increased dwell times in the yards, etc. It was so bad the
government and the STB had to step in.

Adding to the problem was the fact that EHH refused to release his medical records and has
since died. Now that he is gone, another one of his people is in charge trying to carry out
his work? Thousands more are expected to be fired this year, more yards closed, etc.
Tilford yard in Atlanta has been bulldozed from what I've read and Hamlet here in NC could be
next? However I have heard rumors and they are only rumors that a couple of other railroads
may be trying to purchase the Hamlet yard and/or the S Line? There are also articles
reporting that CSX is thinking about selling 8000 miles of track?

Some people say CSX may never recover from this? Others say it will, but may take years. Still
others say there might be another merger with a competing railroad though I'm sure the STB will
have the final say in that. There are a lot more knowledgeable and informed railfans out there
than me. I hope this makes some kind of sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
Would you elaborate on this comment? Specifically the,'meltdown'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:18 PM

259 posts, read 243,223 times
Thank you builder24car and DPK!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cay10789 View Post
Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can find more info (times) for the CSX and Norfolk Southern lines? I'm only worried about before 7AM and after 11PM trains.
I’m not in NC, but my house is 225’ from CSX tracks. You get used to it, I run a air purifier in my bedroom at night to make some white noise and I’m never awaken by the trains.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:40 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
The Blue Ridge Rd. grade crossing is going to be converted into a grade separated crossing later this year. I'm honestly surprised the grade crossing is still open at Powell Dr., given the proximity of other crossings at Hillsborough (rail bridge) and Blue Ridge (to be converted). I have not seen or heard this anywhere, so don't take my word for it, but I would not be surprised if the Powell Dr. crossing closed based on NCDOT's track record of closing or grade separating crossings (they've built 13 bridges and closed nearly 40 crossings in the past eight years between Charlotte and Raleigh). That still leaves Beryl, Nowell and Trinity for horns.

A few projects were submitted by the MPO for NCDOT funding to close/grade separate/extend Trinity, Powell and Beryl in anticipation of future commuter rail service. The projects have not received funding.

There are currently eight Amtrak trains a day through this section (Carolinian morning and afternoon, Silver Star morning and evening, and Piedmont x2 [morning, mid-day, afternoon, and evening]). That number will increase to ten once Union Station is completed, with plans for two more. The earliest Amtrak (Piedmont) crosses I-40 at 6:52 every morning. The latest (Silver Star) should be between 9:00 and 10:00 PM.

Future commuter rail and higher speed rail will lead to more traffic. By that time, I would expect most or all of the grade crossings in this area to be eliminated.

Freight traffic is relatively light, and I would not expect it to increase. There are maybe two or three a day between 7:00 and 4:00. I can't speak for how much activity there is at night, but I'm sure it's not unusual.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:41 PM

Like someone said the freights don't have a set schedule. However you
can track Amtrak trains with this link...

https://www.amtrak.com/track-your-train.html

There is also an app for smart phones that does the same thing. I use Amtrak
because 95% of the time Amtrak has priority and the freights have to wait. Once
Amtrak has passed the freights waiting in the sidings, etc will be back on the move.
When I was in Raleigh I could count on NS 349 coming through town about 5:30 to
6:00 after Amtrak passed.

Another way to keep up with the freights and this is just for fun more than anything, is
to learn the signals. Danny Harmon has a great six part series on CSX signals on his
Youtube channel. This is a link to part one and you can find the other five from there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgSuvh28XI

In certain areas I fan a lot I've learned when certain trains might pass through.
I think Amtrak would be your biggest problem because most of the time they're
running late. Tonight for example my app says they are 23 minutes late going into Cary.
I have seen them running hours late...

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can find more info (times) for the CSX and Norfolk Southern lines? I'm only worried about before 7AM and after 11PM trains.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
I can't think of a sector of the economy more prone to rumors than railroads. I believe the probability is high, although not 100%, that CSX will look substantially different in 5 years. But exactly how that plays out is anyone's guess. Speculation is everywhere, in part because of the radical nature of the concepts aired by CSX management and in part because of the fear of the impacts om members of CSX labor force... intensified by the standard dislike and distrust of anyone in railroad management at any level. But don't get too caught up in those rumors. We'll know soon enough.

Tilford and Hulsey in Atlanta are special situations because the land underneath those yards is highly valuable.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 PM

I agree, especially the way time is flying by. That's why I said they were only rumors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
But don't get too caught up in those rumors. We'll know soon enough

Old 01-29-2018, 07:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Oh, but wait! If Amazon comes here, we'll be having thousands of new trains, planes and automobiles - and drones.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:46 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
It might be a stretch but I would post in the "hobby" forum, I bet you get an answer. There are tons of train enthusiasts, and I would imagine that someone knows of a website that tracks freight movement.

Maybe it's not a schedule, per se, but you could possibly look back at historical data and see when the most movement occurs. Just a thought.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 AM

23 posts, read 27,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
It might be a stretch but I would post in the "hobby" forum, I bet you get an answer. There are tons of train enthusiasts, and I would imagine that someone knows of a website that tracks freight movement.

Maybe it's not a schedule, per se, but you could possibly look back at historical data and see when the most movement occurs. Just a thought.
Great idea! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary