Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that Amazon ... just a flash in the pan. This time next year, they will be all but forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
They are normally subject to deportation if the job that got them here goes way. This may leave abandoned residences, etc.
Looking at the statistics of our local real estate days on market and the frequent posters here who struggle to find a house, I kinda think this might be a GOOD thing maybe?

Old 01-29-2018, 06:59 AM

5,329 posts, read 3,210,678 times
1. Amazon is no longer the best price on many items No single retailer has the best price on every single item. In my experience, Amazon is either the lowest price or has the same price as other retailers. Free two day shipping wins the day for me.
2. Amazon collects sales tax The responsibility for paying tax always resides with the buyer.
3. Amazon has only a 30 day return period In line with other retailers. Manufacturer's warranties would be the same regardless of retailer
4. Amazon is becoming careless with many incorrect items on the web I don't even know what this means
5. Amazon is now in a war with Walmart, not just local media stores Conversely, Walmart is in a war with Amazon (ref: jet.com acquisition). Not sure what this has to do with anything.

All that foolishness aside, back to what you mentioned in your post, jobs. I'll preface by saying I don't think Raleigh (or the surrounding area) has a shot at landing Amazon, but you mentioned jobs - and then spoke nothing about jobs. If Amazon were to establish HQ2 in Raleigh, combined with all of the other businesses it draws, the spike in jobs is going to be off the charts, as well as increases in salaries.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

All that foolishness aside, back to what you mentioned in your post, jobs. I'll preface by saying I don't think Raleigh (or the surrounding area) has a shot at landing Amazon, but you mentioned jobs - and then spoke nothing about jobs. If Amazon were to establish HQ2 in Raleigh, combined with all of the other businesses it draws, the spike in jobs is going to be off the charts, as well as increases in salaries.
As well as increases in traffic, home/rent prices, waiting lines at the stores and restaurants, etc etc etc

Certainly, I can see the huge benefits that HQ2 can bring to an area. However, on a personal, day-to-day existence, HQ2 would decrease the quality of life for many people.

I've always said that I'm not leaving this house until they carry me off to assisted living or the morgue. I'll have to add "or Amazon comes to town." I'll think I'll wait until the home prices spike.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:16 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
4. Amazon is becoming careless with many incorrect items on the web I don't even know what this means
There are a large number of fake items on Amazon - if you ever buy anything, don't just look at the ratings but read the reviews first to make sure if they are genuine or not (if it's a brand name product like Ray-Bans for example)

Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 AM

5,329 posts, read 3,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
There are a large number of fake items on Amazon - if you ever buy anything, don't just look at the ratings but read the reviews first to make sure if they are genuine or not (if it's a brand name product like Ray-Bans for example)
I think that one needs to distinguish between Amazon proper and the seller's marketplace (not sure of what the technical name is). Much like eBay, I'm sure Amazon cannot validate every single item that does not flow through its warehouse. Even Walmart.com facilitates third party sales, so like everything in life, buyer beware. Generally with name brand products, like your Ray-Ban example, the price doesn't fluctuate and there are pricing agreements in place between the manufacturer and seller (much like when you receive a "20% off coupon" from a retailer and it excludes certain brands).

Personally, I only buy if "Amazon Prime" is checked, and all things being equal I select the "Fulfilled by Amazon" item.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
I think that one needs to distinguish between Amazon proper and the seller's marketplace (not sure of what the technical name is). Much like eBay, I'm sure Amazon cannot validate every single item that does not flow through its warehouse. Even Walmart.com facilitates third party sales, so like everything in life, buyer beware. Generally with name brand products, like your Ray-Ban example, the price doesn't fluctuate and there are pricing agreements in place between the manufacturer and seller (much like when you receive a "20% off coupon" from a retailer and it excludes certain brands).

Personally, I only buy if "Amazon Prime" is checked, and all things being equal I select the "Fulfilled by Amazon" item.
Just because it's an Amazon Prime item or Fulfilled by Amazon does not guarantee that it's a genuine item. I've seen items that have slipped through the cracks before. Just a warning to double check when you do buy something off of there.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Just because it's an Amazon Prime item or Fulfilled by Amazon does not guarantee that it's a genuine item. I've seen items that have slipped through the cracks before. Just a warning to double check when you do buy something off of there.
Those items are returnable free, though, so I don't worry about it.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
As we all know, Amazon started as a destroyer of small media stores and is now poking into many other areas.

We think Amazon will be the big retail power and will take over more segments.

Remember this from a long time Amazon customer.

1. Amazon is no longer the best price on many items
2. Amazon collects sales tax
3. Amazon has only a 30 day return period
4. Amazon is becoming careless with many incorrect items on the web
5. Amazon is now in a war with Walmart, not just local media stores

Remember, the bigger they are, the harder they fall

Who will be stuck with the cost of new infrastructure, if Amazon opens the new office and then backs off and lays off a massive number of employees as customers become disenchanted with them?
Any business can fail.

So, by that rationale, no business should ever open here, because it might fail and someone might be out of work?

It must suck to be that negative all the time.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 AM

678 posts, read 738,072 times
Quote:
Something like Yeti Cups (yes I know they're overpriced), I went ahead and bought those at the REI store, I didn't want to take a chance on getting something fake from an online store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary