Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 08:19 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
So funny, we were in exactly the same boat. I wanted to take some guests there while they were visiting but they were booked out days and days.

My husband's birthday is next week, and since I actually remembered ahead of time, I made a reservation for Thursday. Just make a reservation now for a weeknight, set a reminder, and then you have something to look forward to.

Btw, I'm also a Leo!
Yeah, I thought about going on a weekday which I know would be easier but ugh.

[Raleigh native rant to follow, my apologies] Lordy, I remember a time when you literally never needed a reservation anywhere in Raleigh except for maybe the Angus Barn or Second Empire. Heck, most places didn't even take reservations! And now like every bar has a cover too! 10-15 years ago I remember when Solas opened and they charged a cover every night from the start (and still do). My friends and I were literally appalled. Like, where did they think they were?? Now almost everywhere, even the dingy little spots have a cover. And I'm not talking about the "membership fee" that's a construct of NC Liquor Laws. Like, a real cover of $5-$10 per person. Geeees!! [End rant]

But even with all that ranting, I'm truly excited and happy that my city is growing up and changing so much. It's awesome that we have so many great restaurant and night life choices and that we're being recognized for it nationally. I'm gonna see how far our Brewery Bhravana will take a reservation and try to set one up maybe for my anniversary at the end of next month but if not, I'll have to go with my birthday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 08:46 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Yeah, I thought about going on a weekday which I know would be easier but ugh.

[Raleigh native rant to follow, my apologies] Lordy, I remember a time when you literally never needed a reservation anywhere in Raleigh except for maybe the Angus Barn or Second Empire. Heck, most places didn't even take reservations! And now like every bar has a cover too! 10-15 years ago I remember when Solas opened and they charged a cover every night from the start (and still do). My friends and I were literally appalled. Like, where did they think they were?? Now almost everywhere, even the dingy little spots have a cover. And I'm not talking about the "membership fee" that's a construct of NC Liquor Laws. Like, a real cover of $5-$10 per person. Geeees!! [End rant]

But even with all that ranting, I'm truly excited and happy that my city is growing up and changing so much. It's awesome that we have so many great restaurant and night life choices and that we're being recognized for it nationally. I'm gonna see how far our Brewery Bhravana will take a reservation and try to set one up maybe for my anniversary at the end of next month but if not, I'll have to go with my birthday!
My husband and I have been eating out a lot at night and on weekends since we got here, and the only two places that we couldn't get into without reasonable notice for a reservation was Crawford & Son and Brewery Bhavana. I think when a restaurant is in their first year or so and there's a buzz associated like with these two, that's where the need for a reservation comes in.

Meanwhile other places we enjoy and go back to seem to usually have availability 24-48 hours prior like Oro.

Maybe once the initial buzz dies down, that will change. Because they'll be newer hipper places to go. But I really do think it's good to plan ahead.

As far as covers go, unless there's music involved, I'd probably feel the same way. But I've been out of the "bar scene" for quite a while so I don't know what's expected these days.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I had no idea about the covers. That IS weird for this area. I don't go to bars w/o music very much and have never run into that beyond the liquor law $1 club membership thing.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:04 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I had no idea about the covers. That IS weird for this area. I don't go to bars w/o music very much and have never run into that beyond the liquor law $1 club membership thing.
Yup, it's pretty prevalent these days. Places that don't have a cover Sun - Thurs often charge $5-$10 on Friday and Saturday depending on what they've got going on. It used to be kind of reversed - there was only a cover if it was a big event, holiday (NYE) or a great band but now not so much. It seems that once one place did it and didn't go under or lose a lot of business everywhere jumped on the bandwagon (which is understandable, they are businesses...)

Old 02-02-2018, 10:48 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
How can you hate it? The General Tso's chicken is like crack.
Maybe I was spoiled by my mom's cooking but there was nothing there that tasted exceptional. The beer was great though. Maybe I was expecting too much since I love Bida Manda but I was pretty disappointed.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Yup, it's pretty prevalent these days. Places that don't have a cover Sun - Thurs often charge $5-$10 on Friday and Saturday depending on what they've got going on. It used to be kind of reversed - there was only a cover if it was a big event, holiday (NYE) or a great band but now not so much. It seems that once one place did it and didn't go under or lose a lot of business everywhere jumped on the bandwagon (which is understandable, they are businesses...)
Sheesh. I am not sure but I don't think it's that way in Chapel Hill. Maybe somebody who has been bar hopping more recently than I have can comment?

Old 02-03-2018, 02:07 PM

806 posts, read 604,501 times
Just wanted to share a restaurant we just ate at that will probably not be hyped up but is really good if you like fresh seafood, Saint James in Durham. They also have a Tiki themed cocktail list which is pretty trendy right now. Everything was pretty darn good and fresh which I noticed is hit and miss with seafood here.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:11 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Just wanted to share a restaurant we just ate at that will probably not be hyped up but is really good if you like fresh seafood, Saint James in Durham. They also have a Tiki themed cocktail list which is pretty trendy right now. Everything was pretty darn good and fresh which I noticed is hit and miss with seafood here.
Yeah that place is good. Has a pretty nice beer list also with some super rare stuff you almost never ever see on tap.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:04 PM

259 posts, read 243,223 times
I've only been to Bhavana once. I sampled four small plates, had a beer and cocktail. I really enjoyed the Chinese Old Fashioned(if anyone knows how I can make it, please share) and Scallion Pancakes with bone marrow and coconut-soy & oxtail jam. The rest was fine. There just isn't enough to make this my go to place for celebrations.

Ultimately, I think the idea of small plates is probably why it doesn't work for me and I don't think I'll head back too often. I'l be back though.

The idea that they have a unique concept also falls flat for me. They are a restaurant and bar, fullstop! I can't imagine anyone leaving their home to go to their bookstore/flower shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary