U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 09:01 AM

286 posts, read 599,135 times

Advertisements

I've been fighting with a local HVAC company for nine months to finish some work I paid them to do. It turns out that they violated NC licensing laws by failing to pull a permit before doing the work. I've completed the paperwork to file the complaint with the licensing board, but I'm wondering what the board's response will likely be. I hate to tarnish their license by filing a complaint, but I hate even worse to lose my money.

Any HVAC contractors here are welcome to weigh in. If I file a complaint, I will probably also file a lawsuit.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 AM

8,313 posts, read 11,886,316 times
Have you talked to them and told them you don’t want to file a complaint, but their lack of response is forcing you to?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:41 AM

3,563 posts, read 7,686,115 times
Going by the information (or lack thereof) that you posted think about it for a minute. It's been nine months. They don't give a crap and are done with you. Filing a complaint won't bring a desirable resolution. Do you really want this company back on your property? Hire another company to finish the job. Surely you didn't pay this company in full before job completion?

I highly recommend Anthony's Air Service. Having experience in hvac I can attest Anthony does not cut corners and does it right.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:51 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,032,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
It turns out that they violated NC licensing laws by failing to pull a permit before doing the work. I've completed the paperwork to file the complaint with the licensing board, but I'm wondering what the board's response will likely be.
I could be way off base here so someone please correct me if so. My only concern with lodging a formal complaint is - what are the repercussions of having un-permitted work on YOUR property?

Is the onus on the contractor or the homeowner?

Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,116,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifa Commando View Post
Cut the break lines on all their vans.
Are you seriously suggesting doing something illegal?
And you thought the following was inappropriate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU
Did she leave because she didn't like living here, or just living with you?
This is an inappropriate comment.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 PM

4,163 posts, read 4,778,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
I've completed the paperwork to file the complaint with the licensing board, but I'm wondering what the board's response will likely be.
Which board did you file a complaint with? I used to get the newsletter from the Electrical board (they have a special license for HVAC). It seemed most of the complaints they investigated had to do with licensing and/or permits, but they were serious about pulling the license from someone that was not following the rules. Their web site is NC State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors

Old 02-01-2018, 01:00 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,166,686 times
I filed a complaint against my HVAC servicer for not completing inspection. The inspection office was prompt and professional and did a good job advocating for my behalf. They actually look to negotiate a desirable resolution between partys and I wouldnt file a lawsuit until this runs its course.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 PM

2,478 posts, read 3,755,807 times
If the main problem is that they did work that should have been permitted, but they didn't pull a permit, and now won't, then there is a procedure for that at the licensing board. Just make them follow it. (It's not super rare for contractors to find out they should have but didn't).

Give them a deadline (1 week?) to finish the work or you will file a complaint with the Licensing Board, BBB, and detail the problems on all social media rating sites and call all the local TV station Consumer Ripoff segment produces. Firms like this get a lot of work from social media and are pretty sensitive to rating comments.

You can always retract your complaints and edit your comments. Make sure you tell them you'll do this if you're happy.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 PM

6,800 posts, read 5,314,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Which board did you file a complaint with? I used to get the newsletter from the Electrical board (they have a special license for HVAC). It seemed most of the complaints they investigated had to do with licensing and/or permits, but they were serious about pulling the license from someone that was not following the rules. Their web site is NC State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors
The appropriate entity for the OP to file a complaint with would be the North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors. The electrical licensing you are referring to is only for already licensed hvac contractors who perform their own electrical work related solely to the installation and repair of hvac equipment. Its essentially a sub-license; complaints should be directed to the entity who grants the primary license,

Old 02-01-2018, 01:15 PM

8,495 posts, read 14,219,857 times
5 on Your Side.

I have seen a company move very fast to correct an issue because I promised to
contact 5 on Your Side in 2 weeks if it wasn't corrected.

I told them I would prefer to work it out with them, but that was their choice.
I gave them a firm date that I would contact WRAL if they did not have it corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary