Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:33 AM

121 posts, read 107,190 times

Advertisements

My family lived in Chapel Hill for a little over a year back in 2012. At the time I had a son at East, one at Smith, and one at Morris Grove and a daughter in preschool.
We are considering a move back when my 2nd son graduates from High School this year.
My older two will be staying here at Ohio State but I will have one entering high school and my daughter who will be in 3rd grade.
I am concerned about East. My oldest did fine there but he is a typical first born over achiever. Are the other high schools as high strung? Trying to narrow down where we should look for a house.

I had friends say they wished they lived in Durham or Raleigh so their kids had a better chance to get into UNC. Does anyone else feel that way?

My husbands job would be at RTP, so we don't HAVE to live in CH but it's familiar and I think more to our style (liberal, parks, laid-back). That said I never really checked out Cary or Raleigh or anywhere else.
I have lived in NC 3 times (born there) but first two times on the coast (my dad was a marine). I don't know much about other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:58 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleygirl View Post
I had friends say they wished they lived in Durham or Raleigh so their kids had a better chance to get into UNC. Does anyone else feel that way?
You'll need a 4.7 with at least 5 APs plus clubs, sports, volunteer work and a p/t job to get into Chapel Hill in Wake County is what we've been told at our high school. This is verbatim, after having the school social workers telling us not to stress out our kids by expecting them to do all of the above. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You'll need a 4.7 with at least 5 APs plus clubs, sports, volunteer work and a p/t job to get into Chapel Hill in Wake County is what we've been told at our high school. This is verbatim, after having the school social workers telling us not to stress out our kids by expecting them to do all of the above. Good luck.
That's exactly my fear. My oldest probably would have gotten in (most of his friends from when we lived there did). But.... the rest of my kids don't have his love of school, sports, volunteering, etc.

And honestly UNC doesn't matter so much, I just don't want overly pressured stressed out kiddos.

I also want a neighborhood where my kids go to school with the other kids in the neighborhood. So I don't want to do private. And Cary seems out of the question because of the schools capping out.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I don't have kids there, but have heard that East is the worst of the three as far as high pressure and that Carrboro High is smaller and more chill. We are zoned for Chapel Hill High, but I don't have a kid there now. I'd look at a neighborhood that would feed into Carrboro High if I were you. It's the newest building and smallest school.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't have kids there, but have heard that East is the worst of the three as far as high pressure and that Carrboro High is smaller and more chill. We are zoned for Chapel Hill High, but I don't have a kid there now. I'd look at a neighborhood that would feed into Carrboro High if I were you. It's the newest building and smallest school.
That's what I am thinking as well. It sounds as if Carrboro might be a better fit.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:00 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
I dunno I think chapel hill schools are a bit overblown there is a ton of kids living in apartments from lower SES families going to those schools. I think you're going to find a haves and haves not situation.

I've heard good feedback about chatham schools if you are looking for a more normal experience or one like yours if you went through public schools elsewhere in NC

Old 02-05-2018, 12:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I've heard a lot of positive things about Carrboro High.

FWIW, UNC swears they do not have a quota for kids from Chapel Hill Carrboro Schools and anyone with the qualifications can be admitted. I, too, have heard it can be harder, but I don't know. I know there was talk a few years ago of eliminating reporting class rank at Chapel Hill Carrboro schools. I'm not sure what happened with that. Maybe somebody else does?

Old 02-05-2018, 12:26 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
UNC has a mission statement to draw fairly equitably from across the state and control for differences in school district. I don't feel there is any possible way someone from UNC would get knocked over someone from Cary. I mean Chapel HIll

Old 02-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
UNC has a mission statement to draw fairly equitably from across the state and control for differences in school district. I don't feel there is any possible way someone from UNC would get knocked over someone from Cary. I mean Chapel HIll
What I heard (when I lived there) was that it was harder it you were from CH because they took the top percentage from each NC school district. Not sure what exactly that percentage was. I went to University of Texas in Austin and there it was top 10%.

Things may have changed, I don't know. They are also a little odd about the number of out of state applicants they accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary