Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:08 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, I believe it. I have not been to that theater since about 1997.

LOL.

It was kinda funky back then, too.

Still, I'm amazed it is operational if one must shower when they leave.
It's sorta like McDonald's dollar menu. It tastes like crap, but you get what you pay for.

As stated, we go there a couple of times a month for the same reasons as michaelbond. It's funny, old, could smell better, etc. But I don't feel the extreme of repatriot.

BUT I refuse to pay the inflated prices at the exalted Cinebistro, so what do I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 04:25 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BUT I refuse to pay the inflated prices at the exalted Cinebistro, so what do I know.
I've never understood the appeal of eating a meal while watching a movie at a theater. Overpriced, under quality food is all you get. I'd rather watch the movie and then grab a nice dinner out. Or grab a nice dinner out. But there does appear to be a market for this kind of place.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:51 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I've never understood the appeal of eating a meal while watching a movie at a theater. Overpriced, under quality food is all you get. I'd rather watch the movie and then grab a nice dinner out. Or grab a nice dinner out. But there does appear to be a market for this kind of place.
Nor I, as I have posted before.

I can tell you that although I almost never do as I've never been to a cinema that had any food that I'd ever eat, nor am I comfortable to disturb those around me by eating, I missed dinner time and got something there to eat before going to the theater.

It was one of the most oily and disgusting things I've ever attempted to eat, no exaggeration.

Red - your reply could be interpreted various ways but struck as unnecessarily antagonistic and does not merit my responding.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
We ate at Silverspot recently because we ran out of time for our usual spots and it was very tasty and not that expensive. I had their portabello burger and enjoyed it.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
So my wife and I finally got to go to CineBistro last week and were pleasantly surprised. The menu looked very good and there were several items I was tempted by. We loved the service as well. My only gripe about their set-up is that it's a "flat" theater which makes it ideal for serving (the runners don't have to hoof plates up steps) but that does makes it a less desirable viewing experience.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
So my wife and I finally got to go to CineBistro last week and were pleasantly surprised. The menu looked very good and there were several items I was tempted by. We loved the service as well. My only gripe about their set-up is that it's a "flat" theater which makes it ideal for serving (the runners don't have to hoof plates up steps) but that does makes it a less desirable viewing experience.
I actually loved the set-up. When I first sat down, it felt really strange, and I initially thought it was a terrible idea. Then I reclined my seat, and it made sense to me. It was a comfortable way to watch the movie. And I like that it basically eliminates distractions of people in front of me getting up and going to the bathroom or getting more concessions. I'm reclined and looking up, combined with the height of the seat backs, means I can't see movement in front of me.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Nor I, as I have posted before.

I can tell you that although I almost never do as I've never been to a cinema that had any food that I'd ever eat, nor am I comfortable to disturb those around me by eating, I missed dinner time and got something there to eat before going to the theater.

It was one of the most oily and disgusting things I've ever attempted to eat, no exaggeration.

Red - your reply could be interpreted various ways but struck as unnecessarily antagonistic and does not merit my responding.
You entirely misread it.

I was being literal. Where in the world did you live where every theatre, even the super cheapo ones, was decidedly fresher and nicer than the one you were hurrying home after to shower and sanitize?

Old 03-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I like it. The food is decent (not exactly gourmet, but consistent and not as bad as some places people seem to love to eat for who knows what reason), the bar makes good cocktails, and I can eat while watching a movie.

The seats are spacious and comfortable. I have no complaints.

I suspect more people would love it if it was cheap, but that really is not the point of theatres of this type. When I want cheap, I stay home and watch movies in our family room. We have a decent-size screen, surround sound, can pick any movie we like that's out on video, and I know I keep good wine and food around so I know I'll like the dining options.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It's sorta like McDonald's dollar menu. It tastes like crap, but you get what you pay for.

As stated, we go there a couple of times a month for the same reasons as michaelbond. It's funny, old, could smell better, etc. But I don't feel the extreme of repatriot.

See, I don't see Cinebistro as "inflated" at all. You pay for a roomy, clean theatre that is small (I actually hate huge crowds of people in close quarters, especially since the Batman shooting) and you have plenty of area to yourself apart from the person next to you.

That's worth paying extra, for me.

I totally get it if one sees a lot of movies, is on a tight movie budget, doesn't mind large theatres, small seats, etc.

But, I would say we had all but quit movies until places like Cinebistro became more common. Now, we are more likely to go, but we certainly aren't seeing a movie or movies every week out at the theatre.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
See, I don't see Cinebistro as "inflated" at all. You pay for a roomy, clean theatre that is small (I actually hate huge crowds of people in close quarters, especially since the Batman shooting) and you have plenty of area to yourself apart from the person next to you.

That's worth paying extra, for me.

I totally get it if one sees a lot of movies, is on a tight movie budget, doesn't mind large theatres, small seats, etc.

But, I would say we had all but quit movies until places like Cinebistro became more common. Now, we are more likely to go, but we certainly aren't seeing a movie or movies every week out at the theatre.
I'm with you. I'm willing to occasionally pay more for the nicer experience at Cinebistro. I don't go all the time ... most of my movie watching is at Crossroads. But for an occasional treat, I really enjoy Cinebistro. On the other hand, I won't spend my money at Blue Ridge. It may be cheap, but I know I'm going to be miserable. I'd rather skip the movie.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 03-13-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary