Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM

67 posts, read 80,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Or if the floodgates of new people from all over the country ever slow down enough for people to get used to each other and meld their styles of driving, you might see less issues.
I'm not blaming people from other places.
Conflicting statements. As others have mentioned, I’ve been cursed out by people with “southern” accents, and many of my neighbors are from NY, NJ, TX, PA and they comment on the state of driving in this area. Many people in SoCal don’t have insurance (or a license or a green card for that matter), so they have to drive decently to avoid getting stopped or in an accident. Others don’t want their already high insurance rates to go up. Maybe people around here have gotten too comfortable with breaking traffic rules (or completely disrespecting other drivers) and they need a wake up. And don’t get me started on the blatant cell phone use while driving.... Once the cops start getting tough and consistent with enforcing laws, aggressive driving should decrease regardless of where the drivers are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
Conflicting statements. As others have mentioned, I’ve been cursed out by people with “southern” accents, and many of my neighbors are from NY, NJ, TX, PA and they comment on the state of driving in this area. Many people in SoCal don’t have insurance (or a license or a green card for that matter), so they have to drive decently to avoid getting stopped or in an accident. Others don’t want their already high insurance rates to go up. Maybe people around here have gotten too comfortable with breaking traffic rules (or completely disrespecting other drivers) and they need a wake up. And don’t get me started on the blatant cell phone use while driving.... Once the cops start getting tough and consistent with enforcing laws, aggressive driving should decrease regardless of where the drivers are from.
I tend to agree with you here. From my experience (take it for what it's worth), I think many "native" or nearly natives are just as bad at driving if not worse than many transplants. It's no surprise and we've talked about it before on here, that Triangle area traffic enforcement is not on par with many other areas of the country. It could be because we have fewer troopers/police/deputies per capita than other areas, but it's very noticeable to me that traffic enforcement is few and far between.

I find that municipal police departments in Morrisville, Cary, Apex, Garner, etc. usually are more visible, but you don't see the same amount of speed and aggressive driving enforcement here as you do in other parts of the country. This is my perspective as a former LE officer from another state.

I believe that good driving habits become bad and bad driving habits get worse when traffic violations are not enforced.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
After 40 years in Los Angeles, I can safely say that more people on the road DOES NOT equal more fits of road rage or higher incidents of aggressive driving. Let me give you some perspective: LA metro population is something like 11 million people now. Yet, since I’ve been in NC (9 months), the level of aggression and ignorance is not only noticeable, it’s surprising. Driving with a cell phone in your hand in CA will land you a big fine, and cops will nail you for it. Tailgating will either get you 1) a break check from someone who will either sue you or beat your ***, or 2) pulled over by a cop and ticketed for that and everything else they can find.

Why do people follow rules? Simple, they fear the consequences. Make the consequences tough and enforce them, and you have more conformity. So maybe if the cops would stop putting empty cars in grocery store parking lots and put them on the road with officers behind the wheel, you may have less stupidity on the roads. Or maybe get some big shot personal injury attorneys to come to town and start suing the pants off aggressive drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Or if the floodgates of new people from all over the country ever slow down enough for people to get used to each other and meld their styles of driving, you might see less issues.

The roads here HAVE gotten more aggressive. They were not always this way.

I'm not blaming people from other places. I'm blaming the combining of driving styles. I know LA gets people from everywhere, but it's easier to blend in when you have 11 million people than when you have a million and at least half of them are from someplace else, many having moved here less than a few years ago.

It does make a difference.

This area is starting to remind of of Fort Bragg in terms of how it feels to drive here.
really good takes from both of you.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
really good takes from both of you.
I too concur with these, and, Capital B's point about Right Turn on Red bullies.

I never considered that it might be due to a mix from a lot of other places, like skiers and snowboarders, sometimes they don't mix well due to their styles.

I am all for laws like CA's.

Drove past a guy immersed in his cell phone during rush hour driving down Weston Parkway.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,862 times
I recently moved back here from San Francisco and my car insurance rates increased by $800/yr for two vehicles. Was not expecting that but it’s probably a reflection on the “quality” of driving that goes on here.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I recently moved back here from San Francisco and my car insurance rates increased by $800/yr for two vehicles. Was not expecting that but it’s probably a reflection on the “quality” of driving that goes on here.

Or it's the hurricanes and hail storms

Old 04-18-2018, 07:26 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Or it's the hurricanes and hail storms
I lived (and drove) for 32 years in Wake County/Raleigh and never once had hail or hurricane damage...Never had a garage, either.

Interestingly enough, when you drive in the more rural counties in NC, the aggressive and bad driving seem to be much less prevalent. More courtesy and a much nicer, slower pace. That was one of the main reasons I left Wake County and moved to the mountains. My blood pressure is much lower up here, even though we do have our share of bad drivers (and people from other states), there just aren't as many of them crammed in up here.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Was tailgated horribly this morning by a soccer mom on 440 ... Florida plates.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:27 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I lived (and drove) for 32 years in Wake County/Raleigh and never once had hail or hurricane damage...Never had a garage, either.
A friend in FV's car got totaled late last year from hail.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
When we traded in our car last year the dealer noted hail damage. It was small enough that it wasn't obvious, but if you got it in the right light, it was there. Frustrating cause it gave those dealer scumbags a leg up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary