Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I think you're right on this point. A Ritz Carlton nor Four Seasons would probably not be interested in building in Raleigh for a number of reasons. If you look at their current locations, they are either very large cities with huge GDPs or luxury resort locations. Cities like Nashville, Austin, and Raleigh don't make the cut (yet).
Hmmm, but which NC city HAS a Ritz Carlton?

And Austin has a Four Seasons, and Nashville has a 5 star hotel, The Hermitage. Wah wah wah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 05:19 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Until we get us some 5 Star Pizza, we ain't gonna fool nobody with no fancy Big Hair Hotel.
We already have 5 star Chinese...

Old 02-15-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Hmmm, but which NC city HAS a Ritz Carlton?

And Austin has a Four Seasons, and Nashville has a 5 star hotel, The Hermitage. Wah wah wah.
I stand corrected, Austin does have a Four Seasons. The Hermitage is a boutique, not a chain which is what I was referring to in that statement. Thanks for the fact checking...

Who cares what Charlotte has, but if it makes you feel better to mention it then so be it.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:30 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
I stand corrected, Austin does have a Four Seasons. The Hermitage is a boutique, not a chain which is what I was referring to in that statement. Thanks for the fact checking...

Who cares what Charlotte has, but if it makes you feel better to mention it then so be it.
Who cares indeed...certainly not you! LOL

Old 02-16-2018, 03:38 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
We need these 5 star type of people like a plague.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Having a 5-star hotel isn't a sign that someplace arrived.

Being able to book rooms in a 5-star hotel enough to keep it running might be, though.

I'm pretty sure if Umstead was always so booked up that people were clamoring for rooms, I'm 100% confident that a hotel chain would build another 5-star hotel to catch the overflow and make some money.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
The city is Raleigh of course. You must not have been following municipal activities closely over the last decade. The city of Raleigh purchased the Dix property for the expressed purpose of converting it into an urban park in the core of the city. Part of the idea behind this was to help raise Raleigh's profile in terms of being a major city. The city, as well as booster organizations such as the Downtown Raleigh alliance have been very open about courting retailers and other venues to open shop downtown. Why? To increase the vibrancy of downtown and make it more attractive to millenials and visitors alike.

The city of Raleigh has put much effort into raising its profile so that it can attract more big business and provide the local community with greater amenities.
Raleigh DID NOT acquire Dorothea Dix to raise its profile or gain respect from the rest of the world.

That sort of talk belongs in Charlotte, a city who's identity solely lies in being perceived as a big city. It's an obsession for them, every project or endeavor is trying to dazzle & impress for reaffirmation.

Raleigh has always been focused on providing its citizens with quality amenities, whether sports related, educational, recreational or reconnecting to nature.

It stays inwardly focused, and maybe that's how it has landed on hundreds of "Best of" lists without ever trying (to make any list).

The high profile aspect of Dix Park is a wonderful side-benefit, and I'm sure it is part of Downtown's leader's overall pitch, but you must remember that....

Raleigh's nascent downtown resurgence had to be lifted from the grave, as it was beyond dead not long ago.

We all should be very thankful for how much downtown officials have accomplished, and I hope they're just getting started.

But don't confuse their promoting efforts to reenergize one neighborhood/vicinity to be that of Raleigh'-as a-whole-'s City Leaders who come from the different neighborhoods and make decisions best for their individual neighborhoods.

I think that's the extent of Raleigh's leader's agenda.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:50 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Until we get us some 5 Star Pizza, we ain't gonna fool nobody with no fancy Big Hair Hotel.
@MikeJauquish - this place has 5 Star Pizza

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mikes-pizza-raleigh

Old 02-17-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
We need these 5 star type of people like a plague.
I guess the idea of inclusion and diversity only applies to those types that we want to include...

Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
I think you're right on this point. A Ritz Carlton nor Four Seasons would probably not be interested in building in Raleigh for a number of reasons. If you look at their current locations, they are either very large cities with huge GDPs or luxury resort locations. Cities like Nashville, Austin, and Raleigh don't make the cut (yet).

On the other hand, boutique hotels are a different animal. If a developer comes along with deep pockets and a desire to build such a hotel, they can make it happen. Hence we see the Umstead built by the Goodnights.
I'm certainly no location scout, but it would seem to me that the employment demographics in Raleigh and the Triangle don't necessarily signal luxury brand hotels. The employment base is primarily government, universities, and technology; none of which would funnel enough guests into such a brand. These brands follow investment and banking industries, fortune 50 HQs, as well as the NBA, NFL, and MLB since they provide a constant stream of wealthy patrons, including the players themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary