Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM

495 posts, read 1,071,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Nope. And why should they? Anyone can predict the weather with a quick internet search. Besides, eye candy is what brings viewers, not good reporting or weather predicting. ABC11 has led the pack with eye candy with CBS17 in a close second. WRAL had to do something.
Define "predict the weather"? What level of quality or accuracy are you going for? It's actually really difficult to achieve that last 10% of skill that makes all the difference in life/death scenarios or close cases (such as severe weather events or winter weather around these parts). Arguably Greg Fishel lost his edge a few years ago because his personal issues distracted him from putting in the time to do a spot-on forecast, and most of the current Raleigh National Weather Service forecasters also lack that edge. When Greg was in his prime, he could make temperature and precipitation calls that everyone else would miss, not out of luck but because he had the scientific skills and deep understanding to "see the matrix" better than anybody in this area or even a computer model. Mike Moss and frankly Nate Johnson also had that edge. None of the current WRAL crop or anyone else doing weather publicly in this area currently does, and I'm concerned the quality of forecasts when it matters is going to suffer around here.

As Greg used to say, "you wouldn't hire anyone but a lawyer to handle your legal matters (or try to represent yourself), so why would you entrust weather prediction to anything other than a top-flight meteorologist?"

Old 03-04-2019, 12:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 4,660,669 times
Another way of looking at it: climatology is changing. Someone who was expert in forecasting Triangle weather 10-20 years ago might not be so accurate today, even if he/she remains at the top of his/her game.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:56 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,210,503 times
Where is Elizabeth Gardner? She is/was always my favorite very concise and polished weathercaster. I moved to Dallas 4 years ago and always look forward to catching her on the news whenever i visit the Triangle. I remember she was like perpetually pregnant. She's got to have like 7 kids.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,856,978 times
For news or weather eye candy gets old fast unless there's more to back it up.

Having said that I'm happy with Kat Campbell although I still prefer Fisch and Chris over everyone else. That Mike Maze is good but has got a kinda hard edge to him.

Having said all that I think we're all a bit picky about all this.... I just fast-forward to the week view most times then watch BBC news for the real thing.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,802,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Where is Elizabeth Gardner? She is/was always my favorite very concise and polished weathercaster. I moved to Dallas 4 years ago and always look forward to catching her on the news whenever i visit the Triangle. I remember she was like perpetually pregnant. She's got to have like 7 kids.

Elizabeth is still on in the mornings and at noon. As far as I know, she only has 2 kids. Maybe you're thinking of Lynda Loveland? I know she had 3 very close together. She and Elizabeth may have overlapped while having kids.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,210,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Elizabeth is still on in the mornings and at noon. As far as I know, she only has 2 kids. Maybe you're thinking of Lynda Loveland? I know she had 3 very close together. She and Elizabeth may have overlapped while having kids.
Oh okay great. True be told the knowledge of the North Carolina meteorologists is hard to beat. Just so many dynamics play into the weather with the mountains, coast and location midway the country. Just about anything is possible to happen and has!

Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 AM

10 posts, read 11,901 times
I have been a fairly regular view of WRAL’s 11:00 PM news for years. Last month I took ill and spent several weeks at home in bed. I attempted to watch the news at noon, and I found it to be almost unwatchable. It was not the reporters, but rather the ads that were so bad. First, there seemed to be two times the minutes of commercials to news content than at 11:00. Second, 75% of those ads were either some lawyer telling one to call and sue for any reason, or some car dealer pitching cheap cars for people with bad credit. It was just bad.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:42 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,545,747 times
Commercials are aimed at the people who are watching. If they weren't working, companies wouldn't keep paying for them. Years ago, daytime ads were for Mop n Glo, laundry detergent and feminine hygiene products. I guess we see there's been a shift.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,204,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometordu View Post
I have been a fairly regular view of WRAL’s 11:00 PM news for years. Last month I took ill and spent several weeks at home in bed. I attempted to watch the news at noon, and I found it to be almost unwatchable. It was not the reporters, but rather the ads that were so bad. First, there seemed to be two times the minutes of commercials to news content than at 11:00. Second, 75% of those ads were either some lawyer telling one to call and sue for any reason, or some car dealer pitching cheap cars for people with bad credit. It was just bad.
"Tell them you mean business".

Yeah shady lawyers have been advertising during daytime TV since the beginning of time. All about the demographics.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,578,840 times
Dr. Phil seems to be brought to you exclusively by The Heavy Hitters and the 919-all 4’s guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary