Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,644 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Originally from NJ, I've been living in southern CA for the past 20 years (San Diego). I've been researching the Triangle area to possibly relocate there for several reasons - including how outrageously expensive CA has become.

A week ago I had 2 on-site interviews with a company in RTP. I extended my stay by a week to explore the area, to decide if I would move there, regardless of whether I get this particular job. By the end of the week I determined that what I need to be happy could be found in the Triangle - with one exception.

I'm concerned about how hot and humid the summers are. While visiting, several folks told me that the smoldering heat and extremely high humidity (>80%) lasts for approx. 3 1/2 months - starting in the Spring. I was also told that summers in the Triangle are worse than NJ summers, which I found hard to bear. People I spoke with have summer homes at the beach, so they're able to escape the heat. I won't be in a position to buy a summer home.

I believe the company I interviewed with is about to make me an offer. I'm trying to figure out how serious an issue the heat will be for me. I get physically sick in extreme heat. It would be such a shame to turn down this great position for something like this, but I have to be realistic.

Interested in your thoughts. How do folks tolerate the heat if they don't have a summer home to escape to. Does everyone stay inside for the entire season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Let’s talk facts

Easily in the July and August we have over 100 degree days and 100 percent humidity. Make your own assessment on that.

Personl assessment for me right now it’s terrible. I mean being outside you just sweat

Different assessment if you could wear summer clothes it’s tolerable

Other assessment I mean your in ac most the time anyway

Old 02-12-2018, 07:09 PM

174 posts, read 194,493 times
I think many or most of us stay indoors during the worst parts of summer. With the Absolute Exception of the yearly Pollen Storm (and a week or so overall in winter) weather is usually fine. Used a real winter jacket twice so far this year.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
I will put it this way. We moved to Florida from the Triangle area and we cooled off. It can get intensely hot and humid in that part of NC.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:19 PM

598 posts, read 333,258 times
I lived in the northeast (CT, NYC, NJ) for my whole life before moving to NC a couple years ago. I found summers up there unbearably humid much of the time. To me, the average summer day here doesn't feel noticeably worse, but the summer weather does last a lot longer than up north.

I do personally stay inside mostly during the hot summer days because I start to feel sick when it's that hot out too, and I don't enjoy the summer sun beating down on me. I don't even enjoy the beach when it's that hot out. But going out on summer evenings can be pretty nice.

I will say also that being in an area with lots of shade and trees makes a big difference.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:22 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
I've lived in central NC almost my whole life. I've never gotten used to the summers. The worst is when the brutal heat and humidity extends into October, like it did last year. It just wears me down. I don't care much for beach in the summer, but fortunately, Boone is just 3 hours away and can easily be 15-20 degrees cooler (and less humid) than here. So that's how I cope. Try to get away for a few long weekends during the summer to recharge, then come back to the swamp. No need for a 2nd home - that's what airbnb and vrbo are for.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 PM

703 posts, read 780,377 times
Here's a quick glance at the highs and lows for each day during 6 weeks in the middle of last summer:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ra...onyr=7/01/2017

Personally, I don't mind the daytime highs that much - but I do work in an air-conditioned office 5 days a week. It's the evenings that seldom provide much relief, and as you can see from this link, it rarely got lower than 70 degrees any evening. Factor in the humidity, and that 70 feels more like 75 or higher.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I'm the opposite of a lot of y'all. I love summer and being outside when it's sunny and warm and am sitting here in my winter jacket typing this now. I start wearing it in November usually and am finally able to get rid of it in March. I just get cold really easily and I don't mind the heat at all.

Hana Elke, best thing for you to do since this offer will come through before you can visit in the summer is to look at historical data. Wunderground.com has tons of it. https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/nc/raleigh Just go to the "calendar" or "history" section and pull down to last July, the July before that, and the July before that...

I think hey_guy is trying to say that we could easily have days where the high tops 100F and that's true, but it's not every summer. Some years we don't break 100. I don't think there has ever been a summer in recorded history in Raleigh where we didn't get into the 90s, though. That's pretty typical summer weather here. We do have some days where it's only in the 80s, too. True summer days with highs only in the 70s are rare. I think the average is about 89, so about 50% or 45% in the 90s+ and 50% or 55% in the 80s and below.

You're the only one who can judge whether that is too much for you. We do have PLENTY of air conditioning (too cold for me a lot of the time).

Old 02-12-2018, 07:25 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
July is really brutal. It's SO humid here. But, pretty much all of us have central air, and that makes it way more comfortable than it was in NJ during a heat wave when I only had window AC and had to stay in one room until it ended.

I am definitely more used to the summer heat now than when I first moved here, and didn't find last summer that outrageous, though I know it was no different than previous summers.

I have a dog so was still outside quite a bit. Hydrate/loose clothes! If everything else seems enticing, don't let the summers keep you away.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
July and August are hot and humid from beginning to end, no question. The only things that are fun to do outside during these months are the pool, the lake, and the beach.

June and September have hot days like that too but there are some fantastic ones mixed in there, too, with lower humidity (not *low* humidity by CA standards, but at least comfortable - lows in the upper 50s) - where other activities are definitely possible.

So, the REALLY hot season is 2 months. In my opinion it's pretty bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary