Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM

80 posts, read 78,960 times

Advertisements

I'm black as coal and have lived all over the country. I can tell you I don't look at people of other skin color as though they have something against me because nowadays the vast majority just don't. To the contrary they want very much for me to know they respect me.

Martin Luther King Jr. made a positive impact and you'd be hard pressed not to find a street named after him in most cities across America.

I think black people and other minorities are being "used" to further a political agenda that has very little to do with me or my kin. They just want our votes.

Right now I'm noticing more bias (in some circles) against white people who are Christians than anyone else. This is against Christians who hold to Biblical teachings. I think it's wrong to treat Christians poorly who believe the Bible. Freedom of religion is an important right for everybody.

I think your friend will do fine here and I agree there are some great Indian restaurants in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:20 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,062,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post
I'm black as coal and have lived all over the country. I can tell you I don't look at people of other skin color as though they have something against me because nowadays the vast majority just don't. To the contrary they want very much for me to know they respect me.

Martin Luther King Jr. made a positive impact and you'd be hard pressed not to find a street named after him in most cities across America.

I think black people and other minorities are being "used" to further a political agenda that has very little to do with me or my kin. They just want our votes.

Right now I'm noticing more bias (in some circles) against white people who are Christians than anyone else. This is against Christians who hold to Biblical teachings. I think it's wrong to treat Christians poorly who believe the Bible. Freedom of religion is an important right for everybody.

I think your friend will do fine here and I agree there are some great Indian restaurants in Raleigh.
I think that the "persecuted, white Christian" trope is laughable.

You can have whatever views you have as a black person. They are yours to have. But, as a white person who grew up around plenty of white Christians here in NC I can tell you that the main problem there is that they're used to being the majority and not being the majority makes them feel persecuted.

I guess equality sucks.

There is no "War on Christmas."

Nobody is stopping anyone from celebrating holidays in any way they PERSONALLY choose. But, people's religious rights end right where they start to encroach on other people's religious rights or right NOT to be religious.

Which is why we have "holiday trees" in town squares now. And, anyone can choose to apply whatever personal interpretation they'd like to that tree with the lights and ornaments, you know?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM

The fascinating thing about prejudice is that often the person who has it doesn't even recognize it in him or herself.

As I recall when Christians wanted the right to display a nativity scene on Moore Square in downtown Raleigh several years ago, a right which they won btw, the City Council also voted to allow the display of the Jewish menorah and Christians supported that too.

In truth it is America's Christian foundation that offers so many the right to worship as they choose. Like it or not, America was founded by Christians and as such, Christianity has had a huge influence on our culture. The same can be said of other countries where other religions have had a big influence on their culture.

I cannot imagine moving to India and making fun of Hindu religious objects and insisting the Hindus call their objects by a name I designate. No, out of respect for them I will use the same name they do.

Here's the difference between you and me:

If I see a Jewish person displaying a menorah, I respect them and their right to display it and I call it a menorah out of respect for their right to worship as they choose.

Whereas you see a Christian displaying a Christmas tree and out of gross disrespect for their faith, you call it a holiday tree to their face.

I personally favor respecting all people's rights to worship as they choose. And it's sad seeing people get so angry with Christians over a simple tree. Get a life, goodness.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,062,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post
The fascinating thing about prejudice is that often the person who has it doesn't even recognize it in him or herself.

As I recall when Christians wanted the right to display a nativity scene on Moore Square in downtown Raleigh several years ago, a right which they won btw, the City Council also voted to allow the display of the Jewish menorah and Christians supported that too.

In truth it is America's Christian foundation that offers so many the right to worship as they choose. Like it or not, America was founded by Christians and as such, Christianity has had a huge influence on our culture. The same can be said of other countries where other religions have had a big influence on their culture.

I cannot imagine moving to India and making fun of Hindu religious objects and insisting the Hindus call their objects by a name I designate. No, out of respect for them I will use the same name they do.

Here's the difference between you and me:

If I see a Jewish person displaying a menorah, I respect them and their right to display it and I call it a menorah out of respect for their right to worship as they choose.

Whereas you see a Christian displaying a Christmas tree and out of gross disrespect for their faith, you call it a holiday tree to their face.

I personally favor respecting all people's rights to worship as they choose. And it's sad seeing people get so angry with Christians over a simple tree. Get a life, goodness.

This country’s forefathers were deists.

I don’t refer to the Christmas trees of individual Christians as anything but Christmas trees.

Ditto those in churches and on private land.

I refer to my own tree as a Christmas tree.

Since Christians stole most of the traditions around Christmas from other cultures, it’s rather hypocritical of them to be offended if everyone does not think of things like trees covered in ornaments and lights in exactly the same way as they do. Scandinavians thought evergreens were sacred long before Christianity existed and pagans have used evergreens to celebrate Winter Solstice since before Christianity existed.

Still, none of that hampers the Christian’s ability to practice their own religion, so what’s the actual problem?

Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,657,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
In today's world that would most likely get you in jail.
I do NOT want to know how old she was when they started dating! Ahhhhhhhh!

I have a 13 year old daughter so this freaks me out. I'm glad he has a great and lasting marriage but geez....

Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,208,972 times
I happen to know plenty of people who have Yule trees or Solstice trees instead of Christmas, so I guess you'd be prejudiced if you called them Christmas trees?

"Holiday" is inclusive. It's the term I prefer when I don't know what religion someone is. 38% of people in this country describe themselves as atheist, agnostic, or say that religion is not important to them.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Actually, the country's forefathers were mostly Christians and almost all U.S. Presidents have been Christians according to the reliable nonpartisan source Pew Research:

Almost all U.S. presidents have been Christians, including Trump | Pew Research Center

RedZin, I am amazed that you are a moderator here. Tell me, do you get paid for ridiculing the Christian faith of visitors? If so, that could be quite enlightening.

Well Poppydog, since you now know my religion and you say you are "inclusive", feel free to call my tree a Christmas tree out of respect and thanks. As for facts on percentages of Americans holding to different faiths, Pew is again a reliable nonpartisan source and 70.6% of Americans identify as Christian:

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM

715 posts, read 883,836 times
This is why I celebrate Festivus...

Old 03-13-2018, 07:02 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,472,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Racism is a weird thing as relates to Jewish people in that you can go some places and nobody has a clue in the world that you are Jewish or even cares.

It's harder to accomplish this for dark-skinned people. Unless people are blind, dark skin is tough to spot.

I think discrimination against Jews would be more prevalent in places where one could recognize a Jew all the time and not just when they're leaving the synagogue, you know?

Does not make it less hurtful, of course.
The Nazis sure knew how to identify Jews.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,472,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I do NOT want to know how old she was when they started dating! Ahhhhhhhh!

I have a 13 year old daughter so this freaks me out. I'm glad he has a great and lasting marriage but geez....
My wife was very street smart and was not like the average woman of her age when we met.

That's why we hit it off so well.

Both of us came from seriously dysfunctional homes and were able to accept each other's issues.

I'm sure your daughter will not have to experience what my wife suffered through. May Jesus make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary