Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:14 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Do you know of any stores in the area that sell Deschutes beer?
https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/bee...us=-1&brew=any
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,339,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I disagree. Jobs come and go. Since you're planning on having kids in the next 5 years, I'd definitely take schools into consideration.
Most of the area has good schools. I would definitely take proximity to work while also purchasing in an neighborhood with good schools, which isn't too difficult in the area. If, 10 years from now, the school situation has deteriorated then I'd make a move, again factoring in proximity to work as well as the quality of the schools.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 AM

806 posts, read 601,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Nice. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM

10 posts, read 6,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Can't overstate this enough: Raleigh/Durham is NOTHING like Bend. One look at a yearly relative humidity chart will confirm that. If anything RDU is more more akin to the Valley. Well, except that are a lot of pine trees, so there's that...

BTW - I always thought Asheville reminded me of Hood River.
Thank you, we are not anticipating Raleigh to be very similar to Bend but I still think it ticks a lot of boxes for us!

Old 02-19-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
For sure.
And, housing is just as expensive, or more, in Asheville.
And housing in Raleigh seems cheaper than Bend, that's for sure!

Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
I don't know Bend, but I did just flip through some google images of the area. Really gorgeous! The Triangle is nothing dramatic like that. We're green and pleasant here, no drama. Definitely come for a visit. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are definitely worth a visit, too. This is a college-town area with lots of fun and funky shops/bars/restaurants/breweries.

I agree that from my cursory flip through google images Asheville is the area that comes to mind.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't know Bend, but I did just flip through some google images of the area. Really gorgeous! The Triangle is nothing dramatic like that. We're green and pleasant here, no drama. Definitely come for a visit. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are definitely worth a visit, too. This is a college-town area with lots of fun and funky shops/bars/restaurants/breweries.

I agree that from my cursory flip through google images Asheville is the area that comes to mind.
We are flying out there in two weeks! Thank you for the tips!

We agree, Asheville is more similar to Bend but we are not necessarily looking for a Bend replica :-)

Old 02-19-2018, 04:57 PM

16 posts, read 13,061 times
Default Something to consider....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheebs1201 View Post
Hello! I am sure the "I want to move to Raleigh/Durham" thread has been done a million times so please forgive me in advance!

My husband and I are considering relocating from Central Oregon. I am originally from the UK so we'd like to be within closer reach of my family and friends, and we also feel that whilst where we live is growing, there just isn't enough opportunities here coupled with very expensive house prices.

We are flying to RDU in two weeks to explore and my question is, what areas should we focus on? My husband works for the government (currently child protective services although he'd ideally like to be in a different sector) and I have experience in both therapeutic residential programs, as well as community relations/HR.

We are mid-late 20's, and have two dogs so would want a decent size fenced yard, love to hike, love breweries, we are real foodies, but are beyond the clubbing and bar hopping stage of our lives. We hope to have our first child in the next five years.

Thanks for reading!

I would recommend that you make every effort to get your work situations lined up while visiting the area; it's a lot easier to make moves across the country when you have job(s) in hand when you finally get everything shipped/delivered. Lining up job interviews for the period you're here would be a nice complement to scouting the area in person!

Second, since you and your husband are planning on having children within the next few years, I would suggest that you consider renting a place for the first couple of years you're in the area. Doing so will (hopefully) accomplish a few things at the same time: get you time to become acclimated to the area, so that when you DO look for houses, you're much more aware of the ebbs and flows of the region; save money towards getting that first house here; and, it will also give you living options (whether you might need to move to another apartment or condo at some point after arriving, for some reason). All of those factors will make it easier, and get you more prepped, for making that move into a house when you're ready. Less overall stress, I would think, during the whole process - while leaving you with the maximum amount of options in case anything changes in your lives over the next couple of years.

Doing the rental thing initially would also get you more time to settle in, make friends, and start researching schools, pediatricians, child care, etc. more easily. You'd be able to do all of that at your own pace, rather than lumping everything together (WORK, HOUSE, ETC.) at once.

Food for thought, IMHO! Have a great time during your visit!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Just make sure to go to all three main areas of the Triangle, Raleigh/Cary/Wake County, Durham, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro. They all have pretty different flavors.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:02 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,545,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheebs1201 View Post
Thank you, we are not anticipating Raleigh to be very similar to Bend but I still think it ticks a lot of boxes for us!
Good. Don't get me wrong, the Triangle is a really lovely place and certainly on an upward trajectory. In so many ways it does remind me of the Portland of ten years ago. If TPTB address mass transit issues it would mirror Portland even more so. Sans the high desert, even the topography has many similarities such as forests and the coast an easy drive away.

I would only add that, if moving plans permit, you should consider a visit in the summertime when the humidity is up. Particularly coming from Bend, it will be something you'll not be accustomed to.

Good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary