Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:55 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times

Advertisements

We are considering having a 6 foot privacy fence installed. We are on a corner lot with a lot of traffic coming through our subdivision and looking for a quality fence. We already have a post and rail fence, but we find that we feel out in the open in our backyard and would like some privacy. Are there any good fence companies anyone would recommend. Also, would this be a waste of money if we plan to sell in 5 years ( we just bought the house last year). It is a starter neighborhood and we wouldn't want to loose money if we had it installed. The area to be fenced would be 1/8 acre. Does anyone know how much this might cost for a quality privacy fence? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:27 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
I head that Seegars Fence company is pretty descent. You see many of their signs. I had a client that used them and were happy. Fences are pretty expensive and I don't think you'll loose money putting up a fence for resale. It will depend on the market at the time you sell, but it always helps to put yours above others. I put one in myself on a .18 acre lot -just backyard- and materials alone was something like $3,000.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 AM

655 posts, read 916,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
We are considering having a 6 foot privacy fence installed. We are on a corner lot with a lot of traffic coming through our subdivision and looking for a quality fence. We already have a post and rail fence, but we find that we feel out in the open in our backyard and would like some privacy. Are there any good fence companies anyone would recommend. Also, would this be a waste of money if we plan to sell in 5 years ( we just bought the house last year). It is a starter neighborhood and we wouldn't want to loose money if we had it installed. The area to be fenced would be 1/8 acre. Does anyone know how much this might cost for a quality privacy fence? Thanks

Do it yourself if you can. Really it is simple. You will save about 60% versus highering someone and you can use better materials too. As for resell, I would guess it is a huge plus.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:56 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
we have used IROC fencing company and have been very pleased, they are quite reasonable, quick, and made a very good quality fence. We had them fence in our .34 of an acre, and it was less than the other three quotes we received. The fence stood up to an ice storm and a branches, and small trees falling on it while we lived in the house!

Leigh

Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 AM

16 posts, read 62,115 times
Iroc treated us right also and were fairly resonable.
I have also used Don at Elite Residential fenceing.
It seems to run $12-$15 a linear foot for wood.
We have a lot of his in the neighborhood I work in.
If you need more info let me know

Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM

65 posts, read 320,904 times
I just had one installed by Backyard Depot, and they were reasonably priced and the workmanship is great. All of my neighbors have commented on how much they like it. And they got the work done really quickly.

The only thing to note is that if your yard is sloped, like mine, the fence will not be 6' high everywhere because they will set each post individually and follow the ground slope. So because I have a good amount of slope, the fence is more like 5' high instead of 6'. I'm ok with that because I think it looks a lot better to do it that way than to install panels and have to put ugly lattice along the bottom to seal it off. But it's a personal preference.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I posted last August regarding our fence. There are some $/sq foot estimates in my old thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ml#post1185240

Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,843 times
We're having an estimate tomorrow for a fence in Cary, and I expect we'll be pretty pleased based on the recommendation we got. If it works out as well as I expect, I'll try to rememberr to DM you to give you the contact info. I might forget, though, so feel free to DM me.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
We used Seegars, and are very pleased with the result. They also have excellent follow up service if needed. Great people to work with. We had them install the fence before we were actually in the house, and it was ready for us when we moved down from New England. They installed a scalloped 6' privacy fence and we really enjoy the look of it and the security for our dogs.

If you do a search on the subject you'll find other recommendations, and my earlier one with a photo of the fence.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,443 times
Thanks for the tips... we need to have fence put in too in the next month or so, but I'm going to go with cedar picket instead of the 6' privacy. We have privacy around most of our current yard and I wish I had done picket to open things up more. Our new house has plenty of privacy from the landscaping, so its just to keep the dogs from running away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary