Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

Just read this in CityLab about West Charlotte High School and I think it's very relevant to what has been going on for years in Wake County as well as other large public school systems. I was really disheartened when John Tedesco and co rode that Tea Party wave to the Wake County school board and started dismantling a school system that was held up as a model nationwide for diversity. I came up through an integrated system in Fayetteville. I'm old enough to remember when the busing ruling came down from Judge McMillan in federal court in Charlotte. I know several folks who went to West Charlotte High and had a really stellar educational and social experience just like I did in Fayetteville and just like many folks did in Wake County and elsewhere. It's a really thought-provoking read.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...egated/540543/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
IMO - Our goal should not be to "integrate" schools. Our goal should be to educate students.......and keep them safe while doing it. Wasn't busing for racial diversity made illegal in Wake County?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I didn't know people still thought this way..

Those that want exact percentages of each race in every school in the city, regardless of how far the kids have to be bussed to achieve this. Do the hispanics, whites, asians, mixed race, pacific islanders, american indians all have to meet the exact percentage at each school in the city??

I understand why it was important in the 70's and 80's. But now I don't see the purpose.
Neighborhoods are diverse, what is wrong with having neighborhood schools ?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:30 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Neighborhoods really aren't as diverse as people would like to believe, and schools aren't as integrated as people would like. For example, look at Green Hope High School and compare the demographics to Southeast Raleigh High School. East Wake is approximately 90% white/asian, while Southeast Raleigh is over 90% black/hispanic/mixed race.

Wake County Public School System (wcpss), NC - High School Diversity

Old 02-23-2018, 07:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Here is a novel idea... how about equal funding.

I absolutely do not understand how public schools in poor areas are dilapidated dumps, outdated technology, funding shortages while other schools in wealthier areas are graduating kids with associates degrees and they have extremely nice schools with great technology, etc etc

Públic schools should all be the same. You want “better” schools. Enroll your child in a private school

Old 02-23-2018, 08:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I absolutely do not understand how public schools in poor areas are dilapidated dumps, outdated technology, funding shortages while other schools in wealthier areas are graduating kids with associates degrees and they have extremely nice schools with great technology, etc etc

Públic schools should all be the same. You want “better” schools. Enroll your child in a private school
are you saying that schools with equal numbers of students, in the same school district in NC, are receiving a different amount of federal, state, and district dollars than their peers?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 PM

57 posts, read 47,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

It’s not just about funding from state and local taxes, it’s about PTA’s and boosters. Some of these school have endowments that are big enough to pay salaries for extra staff, some schools barely have enough PTA money to cover school events.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Neighborhoods really aren't as diverse as people would like to believe, and schools aren't as integrated as people would like. For example, look at Green Hope High School and compare the demographics to Southeast Raleigh High School. East Wake is approximately 90% white/asian, while Southeast Raleigh is over 90% black/hispanic/mixed race.
Can't people move if they don't like their neighborhood diversity or their neighborhood school choices.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
and why is an article about Charlotte in the RDC forum? Either Charlotte, or NC. But not the RDC forum.

One thing amongst all the opinion piece does indeed ring true ...
Quote:
The community as a whole has to have a stake in all the schools. But there’s so much emphasis on choice now—on making what you think is the best individual decision for your child—rather than working toward a common good.
as we discuss this -in whichever forum we do - let it be known that my children are in highly-integrated public schools that are our base assignment.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMagnolia75 View Post
It’s not just about funding from state and local taxes, it’s about PTA’s and boosters. Some of these school have endowments that are big enough to pay salaries for extra staff, some schools barely have enough PTA money to cover school events.
Different ways to look at that. Is there anything wrong with PTA fund raisers to buy a school uniforms, equipment. If it was not allowed then who benefits ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary