U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 AM

133 posts, read 417,714 times

Advertisements

My motherís friend who is between 55-65 ish is considering living in the Raleigh area. Since I havenít really had a chance to do much driving around in other areas I don't know what to recommend for her to see. Here is what she is looking for:
-Bus Transport: She is used to city living and just jumping on the train or bus to get places. She doesn't own a car.
- She would love to be able to walk to grocery stores like Harris Teeter or organic markets.
- She loves Pier one, Pottery barn, crate barrel, William Sonoma and similar stores. Loves bookstores and coffee shops.
- She prefers a condo/townhome without much or any land.
- Her budget is between 100k-400k. BUT is willing to look at things up to 600k if she doesn't find anything she likes in the lower range.
- It must be pet friendly housing incase she gets a cat.
- She would prefer a brick building over other materials
- Gail, prefers to have at least one bedroom with an office/study area. One full bath is enough as long as its got a tub and not just a shower.

What sites can I send for her to view? Perhaps some new construction with floorplans online? What areas will fit her needs? Since her tastes are almost the opposite of mine I can't really help her.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 AM

19,568 posts, read 31,041,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakMoment View Post
My motherís friend who is between 55-65 ish is considering living in the Raleigh area. Since I havenít really had a chance to do much driving around in other areas I don't know what to recommend for her to see. Here is what she is looking for:
-Bus Transport: She is used to city living and just jumping on the train or bus to get places. She doesn't own a car.
- She would love to be able to walk to grocery stores like Harris Teeter or organic markets.
- She loves Pier one, Pottery barn, crate barrel, William Sonoma and similar stores. Loves bookstores and coffee shops.
- She prefers a condo/townhome without much or any land.
- Her budget is between 100k-400k. BUT is willing to look at things up to 600k if she doesn't find anything she likes in the lower range.
- It must be pet friendly housing incase she gets a cat.
- She would prefer a brick building over other materials
- Gail, prefers to have at least one bedroom with an office/study area. One full bath is enough as long as its got a tub and not just a shower.

What sites can I send for her to view? Perhaps some new construction with floorplans online? What areas will fit her needs? Since her tastes are almost the opposite of mine I can't really help her.

Thanks!
She sounds like the Cameron Village area in Raleigh was designed and built for her.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM

8,595 posts, read 15,743,355 times
Also, an apt in North Hills or Chapel Hill, but high rents.

Good public transportation doesn't exist anywhere except possibly Chapel Hill. If that's a necessity for her, the Triangle may not be the place she needs.

Also, brick here is normally just a facing. If a truly fire-resistant building is needed, she'll not be likely to find it here with the lax building codes for multi-family housing.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM

998 posts, read 3,453,872 times
Brier Creek might also work. Does she need a one-story? There are townhomes and I know they are building new one-story condos there as well. I know there is bus service, (it may be limited though) but there are so many restaurants, grocery, coffee houses, theatre, ect., that she can walk to.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:29 AM

133 posts, read 417,714 times
I will send the cameron village name up to her. She is in the "I'm thinking about moving, maybe someday" stage. So, I'm trying to do my mom a favor and help her friend.

Thanks for letting me know about the brick facade/building codes. I will pass that on.

I'll also let her know to check out chapel hill,Nc

Thanks!

Edited:It sounds like she is more excited about moving to florida again instead since thats where she has lived alot of her life. She was showing interest in Raleigh so I'll just send her the Chapel hill and cameron village names. Most likely this area isn't what she really wants. But thank you for the help and I'll pass it on.

Last edited by KodakMoment; 03-24-2008 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 14,310 times
Smile Townhouse and House for RENT/ SALE

In answer to your friend's Mother and living in the Triangle area. Public transport is virtually non existant!! But there are areas where walking to shops is a possibility. Most of the large shopping centers, require personal transport to get to.
I am renting , or selling 2 places, both in GREAT locations. The house is in walking distance to shops and a few restaurants. They are both in North Raleigh.
One is a townhouse, the other is a 3300 sq ft house. Both in upscale areas.
Good luck with the search,
Linda

Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 AM

576 posts, read 2,163,207 times
Regardless of all of the other requirements the significant issue will be the $100-$140K price range all in of itself.

My Mom is currently shopping in that same price range and quite frankly all of the properties that are at least 1000 sq ft in that price range are mostly undesirable for one reason or another. Condos/townhomes in that range are saddled with $100-180/mo HOA fees which is shockingly high IMO even if they do come with pool access.

Single family homes are either in undesirable areas (again, IMO) and/or the houses themselves require total gutting or other major revonvations and are STILL prices $100-$140K.

It's actually pretty mind boggling that there's such a distinct lack of decent housing in that price range. Well, at least close to the city.

My Mom personally has written off condos/TH as she dislikes the "apartment" feel of them and most are 2-story which she doesn't like. Plus the HOA fees jack up the monthly costs too much for her.

BTW Cameron Village looks nice but is nearly $200K asking price for a 1000 sq ft (or less) property on the bottom end of the current offerings.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,813,866 times
I agree totally with Mike about the Cameron Village area.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 AM

19,568 posts, read 31,041,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
I agree totally with Mike about the Cameron Village area.
Shucks, Debbie...
I think I want to live there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary