Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,668 times

Advertisements

Just came back after a year and a half to look at homes again. Prices are still high in Cary, looked at amberley and well not going to pay a premium at the villages. Down in Holly Springs prices are looking much softer in sunset oaks, sunset ridge still high though.

More than a few custom builders are not building now, some are in deep trouble. I think I might stick with renting for the time being. Things just look ugly even in this part of the country. People have said this area was immune to a downturn??

I don't know about that but areas in north raleigh, holly springs, fuquay heck even inside the beltline I have seen a major slowdown in purcahses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM

202 posts, read 950,091 times
Builders for new homes, at least the custom builders are not going to slash there prices dramatically. If they have a home that is listed for $650k, cutting the price to $625k isn't going to help that much, these homes are not selling because of the market not because of the price. If they were to drop that $650k house to $500k then might help sell a few more but not all of them. There isn't a glut of renters standing by to purchase $500k+ homes. What I am seeing, the good houses on the good lots are selling quickly still, and these are the $550k+ new custom built homes. The homes not on premium lots are going to sit awhile, those will be reduced in price due to this carnage so the question you have to ask yourself is do you want to buy a house that's been reduced in price but not on that great of a lot or do you want to buy a house on a good lot that your going to pay more for? I just think the spread is going to widen between the premo lot houses and the mediocre lots.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 AM

144 posts, read 496,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
Builders for new homes, at least the custom builders are not going to slash there prices dramatically. If they have a home that is listed for $650k, cutting the price to $625k isn't going to help that much, these homes are not selling because of the market not because of the price. If they were to drop that $650k house to $500k then might help sell a few more but not all of them. There isn't a glut of renters standing by to purchase $500k+ homes. What I am seeing, the good houses on the good lots are selling quickly still, and these are the $550k+ new custom built homes. The homes not on premium lots are going to sit awhile, those will be reduced in price due to this carnage so the question you have to ask yourself is do you want to buy a house that's been reduced in price but not on that great of a lot or do you want to buy a house on a good lot that your going to pay more for? I just think the spread is going to widen between the premo lot houses and the mediocre lots.
You are right that slashing a price wont bring them in that many customers. But the people who has a lesser budget can compete in that space if the price was reduced. So broader appeal could defintely help the situation or else you might have to sit the house for a year which would cost you lot more. Right now it is cherry picking, ofcourse.

Are you speaking of any sub division in particular or in general?.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 AM

202 posts, read 950,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandy View Post
You are right that slashing a price wont bring them in that many customers. But the people who has a lesser budget can compete in that space if the price was reduced. So broader appeal could defintely help the situation or else you might have to sit the house for a year which would cost you lot more. Right now it is cherry picking, ofcourse.

Are you speaking of any sub division in particular or in general?.
I live in Abbington (Apex). I am amazed at how many pre-sales we have. All the premo lots are getting big houses built on them by buyers. I consider premo lots as cul-de-sac and nice size lots that back up to woods. These buyers are coming in and building 3600 sqft houses for $600k+ so they are having to put down 10% to build these houses. Even the $600k+ spec homes on the nice lots have sold. We do have some spec homes on not so great lots that haven't sold. I do think the people building these houses are probably getting a little better pricing but not 10%, maybe 2-3%.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 AM

515 posts, read 1,037,079 times
I did a quick tour of the area around Amberly, seemed like there were a lot of homes for sale. In the villages alone I counted 12, and this was typical for other subdivisions close by.
It's a shame about the villages, the quality seems good, but the homes are ridiculously close together. You can reach an arm out your window and touch the neighbors house. For $400k I don't think so....

Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 130,634 times
Everybody is looking for something different - so I understand what you mean about zero lot lines. We are seeing good activity with folks looiking ofr mortgages for purchases - so I know there are buyers in the 300 to 400 price range. (AND WE ARE GETTING THEIR LOANS DONE FORTUNATELY!) Anyway - maybe you should consider existing homes with larger lots? All in all - now is not the time to be purchasing real estae without representation of someone who knows the market and can help you in negotiating on a home you can sell in a few years for a profit! Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy88 View Post
Just came back after a year and a half to look at homes again. Prices are still high in Cary, looked at amberley and well not going to pay a premium at the villages. Down in Holly Springs prices are looking much softer in sunset oaks, sunset ridge still high though.

More than a few custom builders are not building now, some are in deep trouble. I think I might stick with renting for the time being. Things just look ugly even in this part of the country. People have said this area was immune to a downturn??

I don't know about that but areas in north raleigh, holly springs, fuquay heck even inside the beltline I have seen a major slowdown in purcahses.
I have clients trying to buy in the low 300K range and everytime they put in an offer the listing gets hit with multiple offers. Many of these are priced correctly. Homes in this range seem to be in demand, Homes above this seem to have much longer marketing time. What is your threshold on purchase price?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I did a quick tour of the area around Amberly, seemed like there were a lot of homes for sale. In the villages alone I counted 12, and this was typical for other subdivisions close by.
It's a shame about the villages, the quality seems good, but the homes are ridiculously close together. You can reach an arm out your window and touch the neighbors house. For $400k I don't think so....
That area has some of the highest land prices in the county, so it is no surprise that the lots are tiny for homes in that range.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
It has its benefits. When you are grilling out and your burgers are burning your neighbor only has to stick his hands out his window and flip your burgers! Hey what are neighbors for anyway!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
It has its benefits. When you are grilling out and your burgers are burning your neighbor only has to stick his hands out his window and flip your burgers! Hey what are neighbors for anyway!
And if your lucky, your neighbors will go over their property line while mowing and you won't have to worry about yard maintenance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary