Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:23 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm sure there have been more than 17 gun incidents at Target since the beginning of the year across the US. In fact there was a shooting just the other day at Walmart in Fuquay. That doesn't/wouldn't affect my decision to shop at my local <insert store here>.

Regardless, I'm not understanding your point - I never said that kids shouldn't be anxious given the most recent event and past events. I absolutely understand and I share that anxiety every day when my kids go to school.

All I'm saying is the media wants ratings. They will do what it takes to get ratings, and the media will have forgotten about this incident once the next ratings maker occurs. When they go b*lls to the wall on the ratings maker of the day, it increases already high levels of anxiety, which is a bad thing especially when it involves children.
Note that nobody is under any obligation to watch or listen to the media. If you don't care for their over the top reporting, don't tune in. Once the ratings drop, they'll switch their tactics.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 PM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
Most Seniors/Juniors do a skip day at some point, at least this time around the "skip day" will count for something

Old 02-26-2018, 03:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Note that nobody is under any obligation to watch or listen to the media. If you don't care for their over the top reporting, don't tune in. Once the ratings drop, they'll switch their tactics.
I'm not really worried about myself, I'm more worried about the kids. And it's not just the media, it's social media as well. My Facebook has been full of adults having heated arguments regarding gun control since the incident happened. Kids see this.

Thanks to social media, people are in a constant heated state, which in my opinion contributes to people "going over the edge". I take no sides on gun control, but in my opinion there's a much bigger issue with people reaching the point where they decide to use a gun in such a manner. We need to figure out what's causing more people to reach this point.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not really worried about myself, I'm more worried about the kids. And it's not just the media, it's social media as well. My Facebook has been full of adults having heated arguments regarding gun control since the incident happened. Kids see this.

Thanks to social media, people are in a constant heated state, which in my opinion contributes to people "going over the edge". I take no sides on gun control, but in my opinion there's a much bigger issue with people reaching the point where they decide to use a gun in such a manner. We need to figure out what's causing more people to reach this point.
I think you just described a major piece of the problem.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I'm sure there have been more than 17 gun incidents at Target since the beginning of the year across the US. In fact there was a shooting just the other day at Walmart in Fuquay. That doesn't/wouldn't affect my decision to shop at my local <insert store here>.

Regardless, I'm not understanding your point - I never said that kids shouldn't be anxious given the most recent event and past events. I absolutely understand and I share that anxiety every day when my kids go to school.

All I'm saying is the media wants ratings. They will do what it takes to get ratings, and the media will have forgotten about this incident once the next ratings maker occurs. When they go b*lls to the wall on the ratings maker of the day, it increases already high levels of anxiety, which is a bad thing especially when it involves children.
You make a good point, but most people do not have to work at Target all day long, 5 days a week. I'm pretty sure that there have not been as many people killed at Target who were Target employees or Target patrons inside the Target, as there have been people killed in single incidents at schools.

If 17 people were murdered on a rampage at Target, you'd best believe it would also be on the news.

And, of course media wants ratings. This has ALWAYS BEEN the case.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:42 PM

By the way, just saw this:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinst...WqZ#.frekQ6jDG

Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
the "17 shootings in 2018" rings very hollow, especially when you read the incidents in the supplied link. As I've said before, the ~ 100 tragic deaths in the last 6 months - Vegas, Texas, and Florida - are enough for the valid point of finding measures to truly lessen the occasion. Claiming a pellet gun being fired at a bus, or some dumb kid who brings a gun that accidentally discharges, as strong evidence does not.

There are 50.7MM students (according to US Dept of Education) this year. If 100 die from attacks, that's a 0.000002 (1 in 507,000) chance of getting killed. Some of the hysteria that becomes evidenced in anxiety needs to think about that.

Do we have issues to solve? Yes. Should kids and teachers be going to school fearing for their lives? No.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:40 PM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
"There are 50.7MM students (according to US Dept of Education) this year. If 100 die from attacks, that's a 0.000002 (1 in 507,000) chance of getting killed. Some of the hysteria that becomes evidenced in anxiety needs to think about that. "

Less people die from terrorist attacks (in the US) than mass shootings, but look at the billions we spend on TSA grabbing our crotches.

I'm all for proper risk assessment in determining where our resources go to

Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
If people are that concerned - why a kevlar backpack? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Parents and kids are scared. I would imagine it feels like one concrete thing they can do to stay safe in schools.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 PM

138 posts, read 119,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Parents and kids are scared. I would imagine it feels like one concrete thing they can do to stay safe in schools.
Kevlar backpacks cannot stop AR-15 type rifle rounds.

See the videos below

link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary