Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:00 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It should definitely be reported on. But interviewing crying children for ratings for example, just causes additional anxiety that I don't think is necessary. It's also not right to use a traumatized child to build ratings.

Lets face it - in a month this will pass and we'll be on to the next protest. I'm not saying that to downplay what happened at all, but it's the way it is. The media has a lot to do with that.
Actually, the media doesn't report on these shootings enough. They should show graphic images of murdered children so this country can see what gun violence actually looks like, and thus galvanize public opinion around the idea of gun control. Its time to take our country back from these insane gun nuts.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTISD View Post
Kevlar backpacks cannot stop AR-15 type rifle rounds.

See the videos below

link
All the more reason AR-15's should be banned.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 AM

80 posts, read 79,563 times
My heart goes out to students in schools as their safety is a serious concern. I believe the vast majority of these kids genuinely care about safety issues and they desire an end to the madness. This walkout is fine but the media certainly "use it" for their own purposes and to me that's interesting.

In connection to recent events there have been students marching and chanting "Hey Hey, Ho Ho, this or that has got to go". This is very similar chanting to what I hear with other types of protests promoted by one side of the political aisle in particular. It's pretty obvious that someone is "using" these kids to promote their own agenda. Someone is influencing and organizing them.

I will add that many school teachers are fine people with an earnest desire to teach the subject they are trained to teach, but there are also some who attempt to influence young people to further their own political agenda and they spend classroom time talking about it. Actually, the National Education Association (NEA) promotes one political agenda and the vast majority of its donations go to one side of the political aisle.

Capitalizing on the raw emotions of these traumatized and/or fearful teens by encouraging them to promote one particular ideology is just plain wrong.

Hitler, who disarmed the Jews, realized the youth were highly instrumental in helping him accomplish his goals. He said,
Quote:
“Let me control the textbooks and I will control the state. The state will take youth and give to youth its own education and its own upbringing. Your child belongs to us already...what are you?"
I've spoken to parents with kids in the schools who are surprised when their child becomes an activist supporting causes the family would never support. What parents need to realize is that some teachers and college professors very much want to influence their children and use them as political pawns. Sadly, many parents do not want to believe this is happening.

We ignore it to our nation's peril and yes, it's happening here in the Triangle's schools.

I favor letting the teens get counseling so they can release feelings of fear. I favor their receiving compassion along with thoughtful reassurance that measures are being taken to protect them. I do not favor their being organized into marching for a cause one side of the political aisle predominantly supports. To me, that is just plain wrong and it is "using them" to further an agenda.

Last edited by KitKat45; 02-27-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post
My heart goes out to students in schools as their safety is a serious concern. I believe the vast majority of these kids genuinely care about safety issues and they desire an end to the madness.

That said, when I hear students chanting "Hey Hey, Ho Ho, this or that has got to go" and this is very similar chanting to what I hear with other types of protests promoted by one side of the political aisle in particular - it's pretty obvious that someone is "using" these kids to promote their own agenda. Someone is influencing and organizing them.

I will add that many school teachers are fine people with an earnest desire to teach the subject they are trained to teach, but there are also some who attempt to influence young people to further their own political agenda and they spend classroom time talking about it. Actually, the National Education Association (NEA) promotes one political agenda and the vast majority of its donations goes to one side of the political aisle.

Capitalizing on the raw emotions of these traumatized and/or fearful teens by encouraging them to promote one particular ideology is just plain wrong.

Hitler, who disarmed the Jews, realized the youth were highly instrumental in helping him accomplish his goals. He said,

I've spoken to parents with kids in the schools who are surprised when their child becomes an activist supporting causes the family would never support. What parents need to realize is that some teachers and college professors very much want to influence their children and use them as political pawns. Sadly, many parents do not want to believe this is happening.

We ignore it to our nation's peril and yes, it's happening here in the Triangle's schools.

I favor letting the teens get counseling so they can release feelings of fear. I favor their receiving compassion along with thoughtful reassurance that measures are being taken to protect them. I do not favor their being organized into marching for a cause one side of the political aisle predominantly supports. To me, that is just plain wrong and it is "using them" to further an agenda.
So you are completely discounting the notion that high school students are sick and tired of watching their peers get murdered in school and that any decision to do something about it is based purely on being led by the nose by an organized group of liberal educators with a political agenda to promote? Seriously, thats what you think????

"I favor their receiving compassion along with thoughtful reassurance that measures are being taken to protect them."

And what exactly are those measures? I'm sure the students would like to know as they watch mass murder after mass murder in school after school. I know I would. In fact, I favor something real, concrete and actual being done, not just bland words and compassionate talk.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
It's wonderful to see so many young people getting civically engaged. I was listening to a story that pointed out that this generation has never lived a life without active shooter drills at school. It's a sobering reality to grow up with.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 AM

80 posts, read 79,563 times
No BC, I am not discounting the students at all. They are distraught and in fear right now. I'm saying that there are ideologues both locally and elsewhere (politicians, teachers, media) who are now "using these teens" to further a specific agenda. And that is wrong.

Many thoughtful people here understand what I said and will agree, but they are probably like me and have lives to live outside of this forum so they may or may not respond. I will let the following two articles, one of which represents the opinions of most law enforcement officers, address your question:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...tes/110464412/

https://www.policeone.com/gun-legisl...-perspectives/

Old 02-27-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No BC, I am not discounting the students at all. They are distraught and in fear right now. I'm saying that there are ideologues both locally and elsewhere (politicians, teachers, media) who are now "using these teens" to further a specific agenda. And that is wrong.
And you know this how?

Quote:
Many thoughtful people here understand what I said and will agree, but they are probably like me and have lives to live outside of this forum so they may or may not respond.
So what? That doesn't make you right. There are many thoughtful people here that disagree with you too. Whats your point?

Quote:
I will let the following two articles, one of which represents the opinions of most law enforcement officers, address your question:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...tes/110464412/
LOL. This is NOT an "article". Its an op-ed piece by the executive director of Gun Owners of America, a pro-gun lobbying group. Puhleeeze.

Quote:
This is 5 years old! Good lord.

So I'll ask you again: What exactly are those "measures" you're referring to that are being implemented to protect children in schools?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Almost every developed/first-world country has far stricter gun regulations than the United States and most have lower gun violence rates than the US does. I think the US is unique in that we have the 2nd amendment, but why are we unable to learn from the rest of the world and put some common sense regulations in place that also keeps 2nd amendment rights in place? It seems that is completely possible. Right now, we're running some crazy social experiment that no other first world country is doing. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

For example, Switzerland is often cited by the NRA as having high gun ownership rates and relatively low gun crime/violence (still high for Europe though). However, military service is mandatory in Switzerland for men so everybody has to undergo rigorous training on how to use a weapon. You have to pass some sort of test to be able to buy a weapon. Swiss authorities also give out permits if you want a gun and keep a record of everybody who has one (and the permits include a tough background check, that include consulting with other authorities outside the area or talking with psychologists if there's a potential mental issue etc...). If you're convicted of a crime or have an alcohol/drug addiction, you can't buy a gun. Concealed carry permits are also tough to get.

If we want mass gun ownership, we need to laws/regulations to be able to back it up. I don't believe we should be "taking away people's guns" or buying them back, but we need to make it so people who do have guns are trained in their use and that people who shouldn't have them, don't get them.

(The secret behind the 2nd amendment that nobody wants to talk about up front is that people who usually are anti-gun legislation have a distrust of the government and want freedom to stockpile weapons in case there is a need to "fight the government")

Last edited by pierretong1991; 02-27-2018 at 11:11 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:21 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
It's wonderful to see so many young people getting civically engaged. I was listening to a story that pointed out that this generation has never lived a life without active shooter drills at school. It's a sobering reality to grow up with.
It was a shock to me when a notice came home telling me my kindergartner had taken part in an "intruder drill". These did not exist when I went to school and you are 100% right, they are the norm now which is such a sad fact.

Thank goodness these teenagers are becoming engaged and active in politics. I think the majority of HS seniors are 18 and therefore have the right to vote. They should be engaged and have opinion on political issues. The alternative is that they be ignorant and apathetic and we already have enough people like that who can vote.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
It's pretty obvious that someone is "using" these kids to promote their own agenda. Someone is influencing and organizing them.
It's pretty obvious that you don't think teens can think for themselves. Most teens I know (and I have two) have their own ideas about things and aren't going to be "influenced" or "organized" by anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary