Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:20 PM

259 posts, read 241,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yeah. The Charlotte station will move from the 7th most dangerous place in the USA to uptown.

It’s relevant to Union Station because if you do go to Charlotte currently definitely Uber because it’s a very dangerous place.
What are you talking about?! Is this a joke? I've been routinely going to Charlotte via train since for years and so have my co-workers. There is absolutely nothing dangerous about that train station. If you are referring to the areas you have to drive past on your way to Uptown, it's not like you are walking is it? In my opinion, being routinely panhandled in Uptown is much more annoying and unnerving than driving through industrial areas that have seen better days.

Last edited by muvonga; 06-15-2018 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 PM

9,128 posts, read 14,681,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Have you never ridden light rail in other metroplexes? That's pretty much the norm for all/most light rail systems in the US. Depending on the system in each city, there is usually a few people checking tickets, of course it's going to be hit and miss on when and where you see them.

You will undoubtedly hear anecdotally accounts of people riding so-so train that never see a ticket checker while others always seeing them.
No. Guess I’m more used to systems in London, Chicago, NYC and Boston. It’s just not something I’m used to.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 PM

81 posts, read 158,044 times
The current Charlotte station doesn't appear too dangerous but that Bojangles nearby had tiny cockroaches last time I was there. Yuck!

Old 06-16-2018, 10:46 AM

6,649 posts, read 5,543,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
No. Guess I’m more used to systems in London, Chicago, NYC and Boston. It’s just not something I’m used to.
Have ridden the light rail or subway in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo the past week. All those had systems or a few lines where they just spot checked tickets randomly.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
What are you talking about?! Is this a joke? I've been routinely going to Charlotte via train since for years and so have my co-workers. There is absolutely nothing dangerous about that train station. If you are referring to the areas you have to drive past on your way to Uptown, it's not like you are walking is it? In my opinion, being routinely panhandled in Uptown is much more annoying and unnerving than driving through industrial areas that have seen better days.

“Definitely use Uber” .... do you think I meant use Uber literally inside the Amtrak station?

Old 06-16-2018, 01:33 PM

259 posts, read 241,998 times
Quote:
“Definitely use Uber” .... do you think I meant use Uber literally inside the Amtrak station?
I have no idea what you meant, because the train station is not dangerous and I have no idea how Uber changes the safety of an area. It's not like they are equipped with bulletproof glass.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
I have no idea what you meant, because the train station is not dangerous and I have no idea how Uber changes the safety of an area. It's not like they are equipped with bulletproof glass.

I don’t know what you don’t understand?

The station is in a bad area. So if one wants to come
To Charlotte via Amtrak ... it’s best to Uber/taxi/friend when you arrive to wherever you’re going. The actual Amtrak station is secured. Leave the parking lot, it’s gangland.... But people are shooting random cars that pass by....

In 2011, the area was the 11th most dangerous in the nation and things haven’t improved at all.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 4,664,524 times
Quote:
In 2011, the area was the 11th most dangerous in the nation
I'm curious about the source of that information.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I'm curious about the source of that information.

If you google search, there’s dozens of articles.

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/abcn...%3fid=11803334

And Hidden Valley which is still North Tryon had an episode on gangland.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3MyCr7Skkw

And there’s an entire show based on homicides called I am Homicide often featuring
N. Tryon that follows a Charlotte investigator.

But as I said... the new station is being built in a safe area in uptown and it’ll be pleasant to go to the two cities to more walkable destinations. And the homeless in uptown aren’t the same as the homeless on N. Tryon

Every city has their bad section, it just so happens Charlotte’s Amtrak is in our bad area. The equivalent to if Union Station, DC, was plopped in Trinidad or Ivy City.

The 2 biggest NC cities connected will make the entire Amshack experience much better

Old 06-17-2018, 06:47 PM

4,244 posts, read 4,664,524 times
I could argue the station is in slowly gentrifying Lockwood not Tryon Hills and certainly not Sugar Creek. The real question is, how much crime has there been at the station itself or on Tryon St between the station and the city center? Otherwise you're painting with a very broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary