Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
If your commute to Duke would involve 147 and normal business hours, it could be pretty unpleasant. For two years I commuted from SW Cary to downtown Durham. It took me anywhere from 30 minutes in the morning to 1 1/4 hours in the evening, depending on weather/accidents/full moon/or just plain bad luck.

Now I have a 9 mile commute to RTP - I try to avoid Davis Drive during "regular" commuting hours and it takes me about 15 minutes to get to/from work.
I'm assuming it does, at least that's the way Google says I should go. I'm a stone's throw from the 40/440 interchange so it looks like that's the most direct route.

I've done a 45 minute commute home but I don't know if I could handle 60 minutes plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Besides the drive time, you need to include the time from your parking area to your desk if you end up working at Duke.
I didn't know this, there aren't convenient parking areas I take it? It's enormous on the map and I have no idea where these jobs are actually located within Duke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I work 8:30-5. live close to Six Forks @ Millbrook, work vlose to Davis @ Kit Creek in RTP. No traffic, 23-26 mins. Morning rush hour usually takes 35-45 mins and afternoon rush hour takes 45-75 minutes.
Whoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
"...what kind of commute people deal with for their jobs."
1. 7AM is when i get to work most days. leave home by 6. 44 miles. 33 on I-40E. door-to-door.
2. 3:30PM is when i leave. 50 minutes home. traffic is usually much better.
3. my experience: the worst time to be on the road is 7:30AM. Standard or Daylight.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:40 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,651,532 times
In the morning, if I leave before 7:00 to avoid the school buses, it will take just about a half-hour on a normal day.

In the evening, at least an hour, usually longer.

This is NE Raleigh to RTP.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:07 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Besides the drive time, you need to include the time from your parking area to your desk if you end up working at Duke.
^^^ Usually as a new employee you will not be at a close lot so you need to factor in the time it takes to ride the shuttle to the hospital. This can add 20-30 minutes depending on the frequency of the shuttle.

My commute from central Cary to Raleigh is 30-35 minutes. In the summer it is 25 minutes.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:44 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,183 times
I work in Fayetteville and it's a 50 minute drive to work and
as long as an hour 15 minutes coming home. It depends on what
traffic I hit in Spring Lake. I usually chill out by the tracks for a
half hour or so and then leave with no problems...

Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 AM

595 posts, read 676,429 times
My commute is about 18-22 min from Apex to Cary door to desk.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
^^^ Usually as a new employee you will not be at a close lot so you need to factor in the time it takes to ride the shuttle to the hospital. This can add 20-30 minutes depending on the frequency of the shuttle.

My commute from central Cary to Raleigh is 30-35 minutes. In the summer it is 25 minutes.
Can you explain the parking situation? Are you saying they have lots that are close, but are reserved for people with better titles or longevity, and new people get a lot, but it's further away? Or new people don't get a parking lot at all?

My field is IT and each division has their own department, so I don't know where I would be but probably not the hospital itself.

I haven't even gotten contacted yet, I'm just trying to figure out where my breaking point is, because that would dictate whether I continue to look in Durham, and what kind of job/salary would make the commute worth it.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,120 times
It depends. Duke has office space on campus and off. If you end up at Erwin Square, parking is a breeze. If you end up in the hospital and your assigned lot is a park-n-ride situation, it's not a breeze.

Unless you are the president of the school, or Coach K, you will not have a parking spot right in front of the office door.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:37 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Can you explain the parking situation? Are you saying they have lots that are close, but are reserved for people with better titles or longevity, and new people get a lot, but it's further away? Or new people don't get a parking lot at all?

My field is IT and each division has their own department, so I don't know where I would be but probably not the hospital itself.

I haven't even gotten contacted yet, I'm just trying to figure out where my breaking point is, because that would dictate whether I continue to look in Durham, and what kind of job/salary would make the commute worth it.
If you are are at a satellite location the parking will be simpler. If you are at the main campus then you will get parking but you will most likely not be in the lot across the street. Duke has several lots some close some not. They offer shuttles to the far lots. During peak hours the shuttles are more frequent, during off peak less so. There is a schedule for the shuttles. You pay for parking at the main hospital campus of Duke. This shocked me. I am sure there is an issue of availability with closer spots but those lots also cost more.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,478 times
The hubs and I both work at Duke. In our ~18 yrs in Durham (apartment -> starter home -> 2nd house) we have only lived 3 miles from campus. I cannot overstate how much our quality of life has benefited from this. We still drive around town plenty (because kids!) but not having a commute, running home easily if we forget something, etc. has been wonderful. He shifted to a downtown bldg this year, but it's still a short easy commute and parking hasn't been an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary