Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:32 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

If the fictitious Duke Boys, in the television show "The Dukes Of Hazzard," were to resettle in this area, where specifically would they settle?

Everyone may see the Dukes of Hazzard in a different light, so here are the qualities that I think typify the Duke family:

- They were provincially minded, but not in a bad sense; they knew what was going on in their community; they knew their neighbors; they purposed to be a good neighbor to their neighbors; they lived simply. Being provincially minded meant that they were the kind of folks who "bought local."

- Their attitude in life was "we seek to do right by our fellow citizens; we seek to honor our obligations to our government, but outside of that, we just want to do our own thing within the boundaries of the law."

- They were laid back and enjoyed life; fun to them were the simple things of life - not because they were simple minded, but because they purposed to be simple folks. Fun to them meant a live Country or Bluegrass show; racing cars; appreciating history/their heritage, etc.

So...I ask, if the Dukes were to resettle themselves in the Asheville area, in which towns would they resettle? A HUGE must to me: I originally came from the NYC metro area, and a HUGE plus to me is the way in which Southerners conduct themselves, be it when driving, in exchanging greetings in social situations, etc. I've had more than enough of aggressive folks; I don't want to live around it, as I had in NY.

I currently live in Charlotte, and it's not a bad town in which to live. I do have certain "niche" desires, however, that Charlotte doesn't fill. For me, I would love living ON the water, or IN the mountains; both are within reach of Charlotte, but they're still a drive (they aren't everyday activities). Things like that. So while I am not sold off to moving, I have entertained the thought as well.

Raleigh isn't on the water, but it's "on the way" , and more within reach. Also, I am of Italian descent, and I know that the Italian food scene (bakeries, specialty warehouses, etc.) are flourishing, when compared to Charlotte.

The only concern I have - and this is asked out of ignorance, as I am not familiar with the Raleigh area - in Charlotte, I have never been bored. The tourist guide and it's suggested activities have been of little use, but living here...never been bored.

I have cut through the Raleigh area a couple of times, and it did seem a little sleepy. But again, I don't know the area, and my passing through was several years ago.

So...based upon what you've read, are there any towns in and around Raleigh's airport, that might interest me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I don't know the answer to your question, but keep in mind the Dukes of Hazzard was on almost 40 years ago. The traits your desire were much more common back then. Things have changed.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:38 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
So...I ask, if the Dukes were to resettle themselves in the Asheville area, in which towns would they resettle?
If you're going to cross-post like this, at least be sure to scrub out all your references to Asheville.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:44 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Johnston County.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:02 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Your needs are too complicated but all the same eastern wake comes to mind. Fuqay

Old 03-12-2018, 06:02 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
23 Facts You Might Not Know about The Dukes of Hazzard - Neatorama

Old 03-12-2018, 06:29 PM

346 posts, read 338,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Johnston County.
Yep !!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
On one of the reunions, it was mentioned Daisy went to Duke University*. So, I'll say somewhere in northern part of Durham County with some land to jump the General Lee.

*I really should not have this bit of info in my brain.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Selma/Smithfield

Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
Bahama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary