Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,254,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
i agree with you. It's a two lane road for a reason. And since passing on the right is prohibited under NC law, it makes no sense for both lanes to be clogged up with slower moving vehicles.
Passing on the right is allowed on highways. You're in the business so I trust you, but here's what the driver's handbook says:

Quote:
Passing on the right
Passing on the right is against the law except in areas where it is specifically
permitted. Passing on the right places your vehicle on the blind side of the
vehicle you are passing. The vehicle you are passing could unexpectedly make a
right turn or pull over to the right side of the road.
Exceptions where passing on the right is allowed:
• On highways having at least two lanes traveling in each direction;
• On one-way streets where all lanes of traffic move in the same direction;
• When passing a vehicle that is in the left-turn lane; and/or
• When driving in a lane set aside for right turns.
On three-lane highways, you must not pass except in the center lane, and then
only where the center lane is marked for passing in your direction. Exception:
When the vehicle in the center lane is making a left turn.
Is something like Cary Parkway or High House road considered one-way since there is a dividing median?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:25 AM

703 posts, read 779,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Passing on the right is allowed on highways. You're in the business so I trust you, but here's what the driver's handbook says:

Is something like Cary Parkway or High House road considered one-way since there is a dividing median?
You've hit the nail on the head. There is not necessarily a clear definition of what a highway is - at least not in the NC Drivers Handbook. It seems to be pretty subjective. Here's a couple of examples to ponder:

Technically, Route 50 is labeled as a state "highway". The Creedmoor Rd. portion of it between Crabtree Valley Mall and I540 is a 4-lane divided road. But there are stoplights and the speed limit is 45mph. Is that stretch of road a highway?

Route 70 is a national "highway". For much of it within Raleigh, it exists as Glenwood Avenue. I don't think anyone would think that the part that runs through the Five Points area of town would think that it's a highway, even though it's technically 4 lanes, but how about once it passes Crabtree Valley Mall? Is it a highway then? How about once it passes Brier Creek Parkway?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,217,585 times
It’s pretty simple to move to the right lane on a road like Davis or High House, drive in it for a minute or two, then switch back to the left lane (if you want).

I would be amazed at a cop ticketing for that. Nobody’s trapped in the left unless there’s a car on the right.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM

11,218 posts, read 8,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
You've hit the nail on the head. There is not necessarily a clear definition of what a highway is - at least not in the NC Drivers Handbook. It seems to be pretty subjective. Here's a couple of examples to ponder:

Technically, Route 50 is labeled as a state "highway". The Creedmoor Rd. portion of it between Crabtree Valley Mall and I540 is a 4-lane divided road. But there are stoplights and the speed limit is 45mph. Is that stretch of road a highway?

Route 70 is a national "highway". For much of it within Raleigh, it exists as Glenwood Avenue. I don't think anyone would think that the part that runs through the Five Points area of town would think that it's a highway, even though it's technically 4 lanes, but how about once it passes Crabtree Valley Mall? Is it a highway then? How about once it passes Brier Creek Parkway?
So basically, any road with two lanes going in the same direction, it's legal? It says highway, but others (here) have said that those rules don't apply to city roads.

Whatever, I think it still sucks to force someone to pass (more dangerously) on the right, when there is clear road ahead. Law or not. If you are not passing people, and not turning left, it is protocol to stay right. Certainly jerk-ish to stay in the left lane, and mirror the speed of the person next to you, preventing others from getting along while benefiting yourself in no way whatsoever. (I think most people are just aloof. A few do it to be self-appointed traffic modulators.)

Old 03-16-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So basically, any road with two lanes going in the same direction, it's legal? It says highway, but others (here) have said that those rules don't apply to city roads.

Whatever, I think it still sucks to force someone to pass (more dangerously) on the right, when there is clear road ahead. Law or not. If you are not passing people, and not turning left, it is protocol to stay right. Certainly jerk-ish to stay in the left lane, and mirror the speed of the person next to you, preventing others from getting along while benefiting yourself in no way whatsoever. (I think most people are just aloof. A few do it to be self-appointed traffic modulators.)
Agreed. I see it every day on Creedmoor Rd. heading south. Folks get in the left lane at Strickland, and go 35mph the whole four miles until they turn left at Glenwood. Lights are timed for 45mph, so if you get another person doing 35mph in the right lane, it's effectively a moving roadblock for 4 miles. And then you end up getting the red lights too.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,971,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Agreed. I see it every day on Creedmoor Rd. heading south. Folks get in the left lane at Strickland, and go 35mph the whole four miles until they turn left at Glenwood. Lights are timed for 45mph, so if you get another person doing 35mph in the right lane, it's effectively a moving roadblock for 4 miles. And then you end up getting the red lights too.

but what's the speed limit

Old 03-16-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
but what's the speed limit

Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,254,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It’s pretty simple to move to the right lane on a road like Davis or High House, drive in it for a minute or two, then switch back to the left lane (if you want).

I would be amazed at a cop ticketing for that. Nobody’s trapped in the left unless there’s a car on the right.
Exactly - I have never heard of someone being ticketed for passing on the right. And it happens all the time.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,538,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
No. These speed demons get their jollies from passing and cutting in and out.
Then - I don't know - let them pass on the left like they're supposed to, and let them get pulled over if they're speeding enough?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,071,366 times
It is pretty simple as far as what is a highway. Highways always have a speed limit of 55 mph or more. Roads are never treated as highways in business districts and never in residential areas. They may have one or more lanes in each direction. Usually the name of the road includes the term 'highway'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary