Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 AM

124 posts, read 120,854 times

Advertisements

I moved here about a year ago for a new job and my husband quit his job as a Health Mentor and joined me last July. Since then he has been looking for a job but no one even gives him an interview. I don't understand it. He is a certified personal trainer with a Bachelor's degree in Sociology and has been applying for Physical Therapy Aide jobs for months with zero result.
Poor guy is getting quite depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,129,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta View Post
I moved here about a year ago for a new job and my husband quit his job as a Health Mentor and joined me last July. Since then he has been looking for a job but no one even gives him an interview. I don't understand it. He is a certified personal trainer with a Bachelor's degree in Sociology and has been applying for Physical Therapy Aide jobs for months with zero result.
Poor guy is getting quite depressed.
Why not just go to a gym and get a job as a personal trainer in one of those?

I mean, at least until something he likes better turns up?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:05 AM

569 posts, read 437,731 times
Not sure if he would be interested but Camp Gladiator sent out a call for new trainers recently. It is a really big program in this area.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why not just go to a gym and get a job as a personal trainer in one of those?

I mean, at least until something he likes better turns up?
Working as a Personal trainer at a gym is very different from what he was doing and would like to continue doing, unfortunately. He would be working nights and weekends and expected to SELL SELL SELL and meet a quota.

Previously he was working for a Community Mental Health Center training clients with mental illnesses such as PTSD, Addiction, Depression etc. He found this work to be very rewarding as he could see the mind:body connection and his clients were feeling better physically and mentally. There is no such program here in NC unfortunately, so he is wanting to transition to Physical Therapy, with plans to return to school in the Fall to get his Physical Therapy Assistant certification. Its just weird that out of the 50 or so jobs he has applied to, he had 1 interview (with a retirement community) and they decided to go a different way with the job.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM

16,377 posts, read 12,371,094 times
Quote:
Working as a Personal trainer at a gym is very different from what he was doing and would like to continue doing, unfortunately. He would be working nights and weekends and expected to SELL SELL SELL and meet a quota.
Wouldn't that be better than not having a job?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,255,395 times
I think there are a lot of highly qualified Physical Therapists in this area. If he doesn't have a degree in that field he might want to wait to apply until he does. UNC has a top notch Physical Therapy program and Duke has a doctor of Physical Therapy program. NC Central has a program that prepares folks for grad school in PT. Durham Tech has an Occupational Therapy program. ECU has a very highly desirable PT program. Most of the retirement homes are going to want folks who are at least CNAs to work with their residents because they have specific needs as elderly patients.

I agree that he needs to apply for the jobs he is qualified for, which sounds like personal trainer, and work towards the other qualifications if he wants to switch trajectories.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 AM

Just to clarify- he is applying for PT Aide/tech jobs, which are entry level positions not requiring any degree or certifications. essentially in this role, you would be setting up the rooms for the PT's and assisting with administrative functions.
In the fall he will be pursuing his PT Assistant certification which is a 2 year associates program but I assume he can skip some gen-ed classes as he has a bachelors.

One of the problems with a position as a personal trainer in a gym is the hours, we have two children that play sports and it would be difficult for me to get the kids to practice and games in different locations on nights and weekends, and those are the hours that a trainer would work.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:34 AM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
Employers use software to sort through applicants. He needs a fluid resume that he changes for each job he applies for and he needs to use the pertinent terminology they are looking for so his resume gets "caught". If he needs help with that he should talk to someone who can help, career counselor, whatever.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:42 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,701,563 times
Quote:
Just to clarify- he is applying for PT Aide/tech jobs, which are entry level positions not requiring any degree or certifications.
Maybe part of it then is he is over-qualified and so he's being dinged on experience, as they realize he's just going to move on once something better comes along.

Quote:
One of the problems with a position as a personal trainer in a gym is the hours, we have two children that play sports and it would be difficult for me to get the kids to practice and games in different locations on nights and weekends, and those are the hours that a trainer would work.
I can understand what you're saying, but if it comes down to needing income you might have to bite it and make some sacrifices so he can work. Sports come and go, being able to afford food + shelter is another thing. Could also seek out some kind of carpool arrangement with other parents.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Employers use software to sort through applicants. He needs a fluid resume that he changes for each job he applies for and he needs to use the pertinent terminology they are looking for so his resume gets "caught". If he needs help with that he should talk to someone who can help, career counselor, whatever.
Good advice twingles, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary