Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:59 PM

16 posts, read 19,530 times

Advertisements

Vins0010 Thanks for posting this question. Cary and the surrounding area was on our list of places to move. I wish it was still on our list but my husband crossed it off because he is under the assumption that he and our kids won’t be treated normal. He is Asian, with no accent, I am white. I don’t have any specific examples but I guess some Asian coworkers of his had some experiences while in the area for work or out in general that made them uncomfortable. So if any Asians could comment on how great it is, I’d truly appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 05:05 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,244,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnettie View Post
Vins0010 Thanks for posting this question. Cary and the surrounding area was on our list of places to move. I wish it was still on our list but my husband crossed it off because he is under the assumption that he and our kids won’t be treated normal. He is Asian, with no accent, I am white. I don’t have any specific examples but I guess some Asian coworkers of his had some experiences while in the area for work or out in general that made them uncomfortable. So if any Asians could comment on how great it is, I’d truly appreciate that.
Sorry, but I don't believe it. What were the specific examples, and where did they occur?

There were almost 20,000 Asians in Cary as of 2017.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:41 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,478,043 times
I had a co-worker of mine of Muslim origin leave Cary because he felt unwanted.

Raleigh was much more welcoming.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,159,714 times
How long ago was that? Has he been there in the last 5 years?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:26 AM

292 posts, read 370,123 times
After reading through the original post and some of the responses, I wanted to point out that the OP is looking "outside the triangle proper". In Durham, Raleigh you'd be fine. I work in Mebane. My attitude at work is very different. If they knew about my personal life, I would likely find my workplace unbearable. It sucks that in the 21st century we as a society still have unnecessary prejudices. My workplace has over 900 people, mostly local to Mebane and Burlington so I see a reasonable sample set on a daily basis not based off just one or two people I've met. I can tell you that as an interracial couple, my partner and I would not dream of moving to Alamance County! Good triangle "outlier" towns are Pittsboro, Carborro, Hilsborough....

Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,941,130 times
I grew up in Sanford and its definitely an extremely racist town. I'd expect the same from most rural small towns surrounding this area.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,525,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
This isnt the 1800s, or even the 1950s. The Triangle is a fairly progressive, multi cultural place now.
Prejudice was definitely around even inside the Beltline in the 1990s. Growing up, I heard lots of "where are you from," some comments about my English skills, and assumptions that I was related to random other Asian people nearby. The comments crossed the line into overt rudeness far more frequently than I care to recount. Luckily, I was never physically assaulted on the basis of my ethnic background, but plenty of my classmates were.

I don't imagine that prejudice is completely gone, especially in the more rural areas where there's very little exposure to people who aren't black or white or (maybe) Latino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Even in the rural places the white live way more shoulder to shoulder with blacks than up north
They're not asking about African Americans, who have lived in the rural South for centuries, and invented much of what we think of as "Southern" culture. This is about Asian Americans, who (in my experience) are treated as "foreign" pretty much everywhere.

There's a world of difference between growing up in Wake or Durham counties (4-5% Asian) vs. Chatham (2%), much less Franklin, Granville, or Johnston (0.5%). A present-day account from a woman born and raised in Mississippi, to a family that's lived in the same town for generations:

Quote:
"The Chinese face with a Southern accent throws people off," Jean Maskas chimes in. "I was at my daughter's school, and we'd taken some friends out to eat, and they all said, 'I just can't get used to talking to your mother! It's like an identity theft!'" The others chuckle knowingly.
As for the OP's question, I'd say you'd be best off sticking to the core counties + Chatham. Densities drop off pretty quickly, especially since there are watershed protection buffers around Falls and Jordan lakes.

Last edited by paytonc; 03-23-2018 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 05:31 PM

About 15 or so years ago I worked at a big box pet store in Garner. My manager was a Korean-American woman who'd been adopted by Americans as a baby. I personally witnessed on several occasions, peoples ask "excuse me, do you speak English". One day she'd had enough, threw down the dog toys she was stocking, screamed "yes I speak *explicative* English, it's my only language". :-( In Alamance County though, I regularly hear slurs that "went out with sword fighting" as my Grandma would say.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:59 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndsofchng06 View Post
About 15 or so years ago I worked at a big box pet store in Garner. My manager was a Korean-American woman who'd been adopted by Americans as a baby. I personally witnessed on several occasions, peoples ask "excuse me, do you speak English". One day she'd had enough, threw down the dog toys she was stocking, screamed "yes I speak *explicative* English, it's my only language". :-( In Alamance County though, I regularly hear slurs that "went out with sword fighting" as my Grandma would say.
Saying “excuse me do you speak English” is hardly racism or even rude

No doubt it’s ignorance but ignorance doesn’t mean malice

It’s anyones choice to not live in a mono cultural place but you know it doesn’t mean racism just lack of experience

Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Saying “excuse me do you speak English” is hardly racism or even rude

No doubt it’s ignorance but ignorance doesn’t mean malice

It’s anyones choice to not live in a mono cultural place but you know it doesn’t mean racism just lack of experience
It is rude to assume that someone doesn't speak English because they appear Asian and lack of experience is no excuse in current times. The world is at everyone's finger tips with the internet, I'm sure they get experience in the things they want. Anyhow, that's not what this thread is about, the person wants to know if they will be comfortable in rural areas of the triangle and I recommend Orange County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary