Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 PM

170 posts, read 1,014,338 times

Advertisements

Chiggers & ticks are the only creatures I know of which migrate to those areas. Likely would have found a tick by now. Def. not flea-bites. Welcome all suggestions.

Has been in several yards over the weekend, but I need to spray for White Flies here anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:32 PM

45 posts, read 150,753 times
Put clear fingernail polish on the bites, if they go away then it probably was chiggers. Its a Southern thing....and no children have died from having nail polish painted on a chigger bite to the best of my knowledge! just relief.......

Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Default NC State University

Mites including Chiggers (Red Bugs) - http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no.../pdf/mites.pdf

Old 03-27-2008, 05:55 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Ticks ARE out! We've pulled some off ourselves. Neighbors pulled them off their son already and we've found them on outdoor seating. We've probably been hit by chiggers but haven't been able to diagnose. Our realtor told us to keep the kids out of the pine needles as they like those?

Lauren

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
If you've been in the woods, or even just around mulched areas near your house and yard, you could very easily have encountered ticks and chiggers, already.

Chiggers are miserable. You won't readily see the little devils -- they'll appear as small red dots, and itch like mad. You will find them (as well as ticks) around panty lines, or the lines of a top of a sock, where they like to burrow-in. Bathe the area with a good soap, and paint the dots with clear fingernail polish. It should take care of the chigger, or red bug, within a few days.

Let someone else help you remove a tick, with a pair of tweezers, if you can. Be careful to get all of the tick, too, and not leave the head in place in the the skin. Keep the area clean and look for general signs of infection. If you can save the tick in a plastic baggie, it may come in handy in the event you have some tick-borne illness become evident in a few weeks. The DR in the ER told us (my spouse and I) that the tiny ticks were the dangerous ones, when my husband recalled pulling one off himself, and was ultimately diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Keep your pets clean, and groomed, and free of fleas and ticks. Fleas can multiply almost overnight, and are a real nightmare to try to get rid of in a home.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
My son was seeing his Dr and the Dr had a wet behind the ear intern following him around . When I told him a spot on my son's waist might be a red bug (we had been
blackberry picking) he looked at me like I had 3 heads . He asked about it and I tried to explain and he kept saying "I don't see a red bug" I should have said "you aren't from around these parts are ya!"

Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM

This threads reminds me of a strange group of bites 2 years ago. Now I am a
NC girl who grew up with lots of animals and camping and backbacking so I have been bit by everything from a chigger to a horse but these bites were differnet.

My son and I rented a little Jon boat at lake Johnson and that night my entire back was covered in tiny red bites that looked like chigger or flea bites but they did not itch. They went away and the only thing I could come up with was that possible the life vest they pulled out of the boat shed (it was early spring ) had bird or some other type of mites on it.
In my reading after that I found out that you should keep old bird nest away from the house because mites can leave that nest and come into your house.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 AM

90 posts, read 367,045 times
I am still up in northern VA (haven't moved to Wake Forest yet); however, we have a bunch of chiggers on our patio. We are only 15 minutes from Washington, DC, and I was surprised to see them this early. Does anyone know how to get rid of them where they are concentrated?
Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Default can you see them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhurst View Post
I am still up in northern VA (haven't moved to Wake Forest yet); however, we have a bunch of chiggers on our patio. We are only 15 minutes from Washington, DC, and I was surprised to see them this early. Does anyone know how to get rid of them where they are concentrated?
Thanks!!
I thought chiggers were too small to see

Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 PM

90 posts, read 367,045 times
They are not exactly "microscopic," just EXTREMELY tiny (smaller than the head of a pin). We have some light-colored smooth stone that I saw them on. You have to look very closely, even if there are a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary