Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times

Advertisements

These local news hit Reddit frontpage (we are famous! ), thought I'd post here too. Quite an interesting article: To find suspects, Raleigh police quietly turn to Google :: WRAL.com

Quote:
In at least four investigations last year – cases of murder, sexual battery and even possible arson at the massive downtown fire in March 2017 – Raleigh police used search warrants to demand Google accounts not of specific suspects, but from any mobile devices that veered too close to the scene of a crime
Reddit discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/news/commen...7S&sh=d22b76b2

Get your tin foil hats on, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 06:32 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
This is why I have slowly migrated away from Google services and have switched from Android to Apple phones.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:54 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I haven't read the link yet.

But how does just being in the area justify a warrant ??
Seems way too broad a net to me...

Old 03-18-2018, 10:43 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This is why I have slowly migrated away from Google services and have switched from Android to Apple phones.
Do you use Google Maps on your Apple phone? Don't be naive to think that you're not being tracked on your iPhone either......

I agree that the police need more probable cause than just "being in the area" at the time of the crime (let alone cast a wide net in terms of geographical area). What happens when someone is wrongly convicted for being in the apartment above the crime?

Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
They've been doing this for years as well as surfing the web. I keep
telling the urbexers to stop posting dates, locations, etc because the
police and others surf the web but do they listen? Noooooo.....

Old 03-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Do you use Google Maps on your Apple phone? Don't be naive to think that you're not being tracked on your iPhone either......

I agree that the police need more probable cause than just "being in the area" at the time of the crime (let alone cast a wide net in terms of geographical area). What happens when someone is wrongly convicted for being in the apartment above the crime?
No like I've said I've moved away from google services.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:27 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
"Raleigh police used search warrants to demand Google accounts not of specific suspects, but from any mobile devices that veered too close to the scene of a crime, according to a WRAL News review of court records."

They aren't just using Google, they are getting anyone who pinged a nearby tower.

There are definitely privacy concern implications but it's probably not that easy to get a warrant. At least right now.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Some new Fourth Amendment cases likely to get made through this.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:42 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No like I've said I've moved away from google services.
Don't forget about the "Find my iPhone" feature. I'm sure there are many ways your phone is collecting information on your location or search history etc... whether it's an iPhone or Android

(and as twingles mentioned, the police can see what phone numbers have accessed nearby cell towers to determine location that way)

Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Don't forget about the "Find my iPhone" feature. I'm sure there are many ways your phone is collecting information on your location or search history etc... whether it's an iPhone or Android

(and as twingles mentioned, the police can see what phone numbers have accessed nearby cell towers to determine location that way)
Remember the whole FBI vs Apple lawsuit thing? At least they give a crap and don't collect that data like Google does. It's the entire reason Google has put all this money into their OS...to track and collect data (even when turned "off"). Apple doesn't collect/sell your data.

Good thing I have a prepaid phone under a fictitious name .

I know, I know, if "they" wanted to figure out who I was they easily could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary