Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 AM

27 posts, read 347,150 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I'm in need of an eye exam (for contact lenses).....and am trying to avoid paying an arm & leg for it. My old contact lens Rx just expired, and I can't reorder new contacts without a current Rx. I don't have vision insurance right now.....

I called a few places and their prices for a regular exam were under $100, or so....but for the contact lens exam, it was much, much higher. (In the past I've always had vision insurance, and I never realized how much more $$$ contact lens exams cost!!!)

Oh, I live in Cary.....recommendations on places in the area would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM

551 posts, read 2,281,669 times
Be sure to ask if parts of the contact lens exam are optional. Last time I went to a major eye-exam chain, they were doing a lot of 'extras' that are NOT necessary and when I protested, they skipped them.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 AM

170 posts, read 1,012,316 times
At Cary Town Center (Mall):
call Lense Crafters -they run specials
Also at Sears, there's a Dr E. with office near back door (don't recall the full name)

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,583,997 times
Also, if you just need a renewal prescription (and not a whole new fitting), maybe some places will give you a break?

I paid way too much money for my last exam - and it was even crazier when I saw how much my insurance paid as well. The amount was over $200 - I've never paid that much for a contact lens exam, even when paying the full amount out of my own pocket! This was for less than 15 minutes time - the doctor basically renewed my prescription for the same lens, no follow-up needed due to the fact that I've worn the same type for years. She even charged an extra $35 because I have an astigmatism and it's "more work" - what a crock!

I'm definitely calling around first next time!

edit: I just remembered I used to pay $70 for a contact lens exam back in Virginia - I'd go to the eye doctor next to a Walmart. You might try that.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,442,778 times
i went to the DR in the walmart--dont laugh. he has his own ofice etc. he gives you the prescript and then you can go where ever you want, but you can also go right "next door" to the optical place and order them. that is what i did....
i got the contact exam i think $60, then ordered both contacts and glasses...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 AM

27 posts, read 347,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i went to the DR in the walmart--dont laugh. he has his own ofice etc. he gives you the prescript and then you can go where ever you want, but you can also go right "next door" to the optical place and order them. that is what i did....
i got the contact exam i think $60, then ordered both contacts and glasses...
Oh, I'm not laughing. I already called a few Walmarts earlier today to check their prices! Which Walmart location only charged you $60? Each store seems to have independent doctors, and their prices so far have been $100 - 150.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,122,497 times
Have you tried Cary Optometric? That's where we go on insurance, so I'm not sure what they charge, but I will say they are very helpful in finding ways to most strategically use the insurance benefit.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzMiss123 View Post
Oh, I'm not laughing. I already called a few Walmarts earlier today to check their prices! Which Walmart location only charged you $60? Each store seems to have independent doctors, and their prices so far have been $100 - 150.
i hope i didnt give you some bad info. it was the one on kildare farm rd

Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 AM

also i did this last may, so i wonder if the prices went up?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,036,037 times
This is just a thought, but would it be possible to go for an annual eye exam at a regular opthamologist and have your medical insurance pay for it (if you have it and haven't used up your one free annual eye exam)?
I don't wear contacts but my daughter does and I can't imagine our opthamologist not giving her a new RX for contacts after an eye exam if she needed them and our medical insurance pays for one free eye exam a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary