Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:51 AM

333 posts, read 287,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Seriously, it's just getting into the swing of it now.

If that's true, somehow I must be forgetting how bad it gets. This is my third yellow storm season here, and it's just awful. I clean the front deck and the glass-topped table every morning, and there are gobs and gobs of what turns into yellow slime, when it's wet. By evening it's back, and by the next morning it's again intolerable... I vote for a short season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 11:58 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
My screened porch - I'd say we're in the peak here:

Old 04-04-2018, 01:12 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
If that's true, somehow I must be forgetting how bad it gets. This is my third yellow storm season here, and it's just awful. I clean the front deck and the glass-topped table every morning, and there are gobs and gobs of what turns into yellow slime, when it's wet. By evening it's back, and by the next morning it's again intolerable... I vote for a short season.

Not to be snarky, but why do you bother cleaning it every day if it just goes back to being gross? I have the same problem with my patio furniture and I just leave it till the pollen is done and give it a good hosing-off...It just doesn't seem worth it to clean and the weeks-old build up isn't really any harder to clean.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:15 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
My screened porch - I'd say we're in the peak here:
You've got to run a foot or finger across it so we get the full effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Not to be snarky, but why do you bother cleaning it every day if it just goes back to being gross? I have the same problem with my patio furniture and I just leave it till the pollen is done and give it a good hosing-off...It just doesn't seem worth it to clean and the weeks-old build up isn't really any harder to clean.
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think when we're on the tail end of this, I'm going to take my leaf blower and just blast everything on my patio. Maybe machine wash all the cushion covers too because like a jerk, I left them out there and now they're too far gone.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:19 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think when we're on the tail end of this, I'm going to take my leaf blower and just blast everything on my patio. Maybe machine wash all the cushion covers too because like a jerk, I left them out there and now they're too far gone.
Yep. I prefer to either start by using the leaf blower to get the loose stuff off, then going in with a hose and rinsing the rest off and using a bit of pressure with the more stuck on stuff. I'd suggest giving the cushions a good beating before putting them in the washing machine though, just so you don't end up contaminating the house or clothes.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:27 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I've been pressure washing my deck/porch in the spring - I just wait until the end of pollen and kill two birds with one stone.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:33 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
It's so bad. Went to the beach yesterday and came back and can hardly see my red brick steps! It's amazing, every year. Never get used to it.
Also my red maple had no leaves on Sunday and today came home to it fully leafed out.

I don't bother cleaning it either. Will sometimes go out and write on my glass topped table on the porch just to see how fast it fills in.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM

333 posts, read 287,279 times
Quote:

Oh I have the same thought! I'm just doing the table, because I use it, and for an hour or a bit less it's actually fairly good. But I will wait until it's done to hose off the chairs, cushions, deck, walkway and the rest -- unless I can't stand it as it is!

Old 04-04-2018, 02:24 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Yep. I prefer to either start by using the leaf blower to get the loose stuff off, then going in with a hose and rinsing the rest off and using a bit of pressure with the more stuck on stuff. I'd suggest giving the cushions a good beating before putting them in the washing machine though, just so you don't end up contaminating the house or clothes.
I'm on the 3rd floor so I can't hose anything. The only things out there are two bicycles, a couple of milk cans, and my chairs/cushions. Not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't bother cleaning it either. Will sometimes go out and write on my glass topped table on the porch just to see how fast it fills in.
Ahh that was you. I remember that from last year.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:26 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I'm on the 3rd floor so I can't hose anything. The only things out there are two bicycles, a couple of milk cans, and my chairs/cushions. Not that bad.

Ahh that was you. I remember that from last year.
Ha! No that wasn't me. I don't have a clue how to post a pic. Same idea though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary