Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,561,628 times

Advertisements

I’ve lived in Boston. Boston has a much better nightlife and dating scene but that’s not to say there isn’t one in raleigh or Durham. Durham is kind of the place to be for young professionals right now but downtown raleigh is nice too. No matter where you are you can find dating and activities but I would try to live within walking distance of bars and restaurants. If you are up for a quieter (but not dead) life this could be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:40 AM

794 posts, read 1,320,252 times
Obviously, the Triangle's nightlight is going to be smaller in comparison to Boston but there should still be plenty to keep a young singleton entertained (depending on specific interests, of course). If you can manage, I'd suggest coming down for a visit and check out some of the bars, events around town, etc. that you would be interested in normally.

I'm a woman. I moved down here from DC seven years ago in my early thirties. I found dating easier down here but I made a big effort to get out and meet people (especially since I work from home). I'm married now and live outside of Raleigh but whenever we go into downtown for dinner, it still looks lively with lots of people out.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:46 AM

678 posts, read 731,635 times
If you can afford the rent to live downtown Durham or Raleigh, then go for it.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:47 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,069,466 times
if only I had the edit feature. 5x the quantity. no way 5x the quality

Old 03-21-2018, 12:02 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times
You won't have the same singles scene you see in Boston or other big cities.

That said, you won't have any trouble meeting or dating, if that makes sense.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,947,381 times
Post your photo so we can decide how much trouble you will have dating in Raleigh
A few years back a Texas cowboy posted and was worried about dating in Raleigh with his cowboy look.
His photo was a drop dead handsome dude.
The ladies agreed his cowboy hat & boots would NOT be a problem here haha.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 PM

644 posts, read 837,200 times
I am married now but in my experience and for my preferences, I found the women in Raleigh to be much more of my liking than the North East.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,865 times
Thank you for all of the helpful replies and info everyone. I apologize for the confusion over the RDU term - I was incorrectly trying to refer to the overall "Raleigh-Durham" area. I would say I'm reasonably extroverted so it seems like meeting people hopefully won't be too much of an issue by the sound of it.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:06 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,206,847 times
Come on down and check it out. It might be a good fit for you. There are some fun spots in downtown Raleigh and downtown Durham that you might enjoy.

FWIW, though, "Raleigh-Durham" is also not a thing besides the airport. Raleigh and Durham are separate cities and actually the US Census classifies them as separate MSAs. There's the Raleigh MSA (previously the Raleigh-Cary MSA, but they dropped the "-Cary" the last go 'round) and the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA. The bigger CSA is Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill which covers an 11 county area.

I think people prefer if you refer to the area including Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill as the Triangle or as the specific city or county you are talking about. Some folks find "Raleigh-Durham" to be kind of grating. Sounds like something that a fluff piece on website would use, "Why Everyone is Moving to Raleigh-Durham". Ugh.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:37 PM

346 posts, read 336,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Come on down and check it out. It might be a good fit for you. There are some fun spots in downtown Raleigh and downtown Durham that you might enjoy.

FWIW, though, "Raleigh-Durham" is also not a thing besides the airport. Raleigh and Durham are separate cities and actually the US Census classifies them as separate MSAs. There's the Raleigh MSA (previously the Raleigh-Cary MSA, but they dropped the "-Cary" the last go 'round) and the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA. The bigger CSA is Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill which covers an 11 county area.

I think people prefer if you refer to the area including Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill as the Triangle or as the specific city or county you are talking about. Some folks find "Raleigh-Durham" to be kind of grating. Sounds like something that a fluff piece on website would use, "Why Everyone is Moving to Raleigh-Durham". Ugh.
Nah you can use Raleigh-Durham or the Triangle and no one will care. The MSA thing is a relatively new thing and really makes no sense as it should be a single entity. There is no preference. RDU, however, will have people thinking about the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary