U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
Reputation: 8525

Advertisements

FWIW, Greensboro is more or less halfway between Raleigh and Charlotte.

 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:23 AM
 
Location: Morrisville, NC
8,014 posts, read 10,863,289 times
Reputation: 7218
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Nah, not really. They can hit anywhere, but are not super common. We do get tornado watches regularly, but that just means that the conditions are right for a storm to form. Tornadoes can and have hit the Charlotte area. I don't think any one area of NC is more prone to or less prone to tornadoes.

Yesterday's weather in Charlotte: Power outages, trees down in Charlotte after Sunday storms | Charlotte Observer
This is from 2011: 3 tornadoes confirmed in Charlotte region; 5 dead, 10+ injured - | WBTV Charlotte

Please realize that NC does have severe thunderstorms all over the state. We are also subject to hurricanes making landfall, 4th most frequently after Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. Those hurricanes can spawn tornadoes and typically downgrade into tropical storms dumping tons of rain on us. This is really pretty typical weather throughout the Southeast.
And a Hurricane, Hugo, has hit Charlotte and did a similar amount of damage there as Fran did to the Raleigh area.
 
Old 06-02-2018, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
285 posts, read 416,544 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. This has been extremely helpful. We're scheduled to visit this June. After seeing the news of the tornadoes in Greensboro, I think we're going to take a closer look at the Charlotte suburban areas. Seems to be a lot less tornado activity on that side of the state
I know this is an older thread, but I just had to reply, re: the tornadoes. I once took a class in meteorology at UNC. As we studied severe weather, the professor showed us a map of the occurrance of tornadoes in NC, broken down by county. The highest occurrance? Mecklenberg County, where Charlotte is located. Why? Because a person must directly observe the touch-down of a tornado for it to be officially counted. Charlotte has the most people, therefore they spot the most tornadoes.

But really, tornadoes should not be a major factor in your relocation decision. Yes, we have them here, but this is no Tornado Alley!

Good luck with you decision! My brother and his family live in Alpharetta, and there are several place in both the Triangle and the Charlotte Metro area that have a similar appeal.
 
Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM
 
65 posts, read 26,673 times
Reputation: 34
Wait, somebody is actually making a determination on what city to live in NC based on tornado activity? Not exactly tornado alley there. And in the unlikely even you have a tornado (compared to living in Kansas or Oklahoma), what's the chance it would actually touch down near you anyway? Sounds like a phobia of sorts.

Can't live in California, might be an earthquake or wildfire, can't live in the midwest, might be a tornado, can't live in the southeast, might be a hurricane, can't live in Texas, might be a severe drought, can't live in the northeast, might be a blizzard....that leaves pretty much just Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas....oh, wait...sustained days with sub zero temperatures...can't live there either....
 
Old 09-15-2018, 06:48 AM
 
2,349 posts, read 2,396,686 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Charlotte or the Triangle could both easily meet your needs. Honestly I would visit both areas and see if one just feels better to you. Ultimately I would go to the location with the best job offer for you both - You can make a great life for yourself in both areas. Good Luck!
^^ This, both areas have suburbs that could meet your requirements. Visit, the vibe is different. I am in Cary and I find it more diverse than Charolotte suburbs (Weddington, Matthews area). I prefer diverse but I do think Charlotte is a cute city. Here you have Durham and Raleigh, they are smaller but growing. See where you can find work. I believe there is more tech here but there of plenty of home based PM jobs too so it may not be an issue.
 
Old 10-02-2018, 02:38 PM
 
65 posts, read 26,673 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
^^ This, both areas have suburbs that could meet your requirements. Visit, the vibe is different. I am in Cary and I find it more diverse than Charolotte suburbs (Weddington, Matthews area). I prefer diverse but I do think Charlotte is a cute city. Here you have Durham and Raleigh, they are smaller but growing. See where you can find work. I believe there is more tech here but there of plenty of home based PM jobs too so it may not be an issue.
CSA metro population of Charlotte: 2.6 million
CSA metro population of Raleigh: 2.2 million

CSA growth rate of Charlotte: 12.98%
CSA growth rate of Raleigh: 14.99%

Source: Wikipedia CSA metro populations

Raleigh-Durham is only slightly smaller and faster growing than Charlotte.... and being that education, tech, research and government are more recession proof than banking and finance, Raleigh-Durham will likely pass Charlotte in the not to distant future. Wake County will likely pass Mecklenburg County in population by the next census, since only 8,000 people separate the two counties now and with Wake growing at a slightly faster clip (source: wikipedia) and Wake County Public Schools has already passed Charlotte-Mecklenburg as the largest school system in the state (source: Wikipedia school systems by enrollment) with current school system enrollments of 155,000 and 145,000 respectively.
 
Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
9,336 posts, read 7,165,342 times
Reputation: 8102
we blew by CMS many years ago - pre-recession if I'm remembering correctly.
 
Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 AM
 
552 posts, read 309,040 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
^^ This, both areas have suburbs that could meet your requirements. Visit, the vibe is different. I am in Cary and I find it more diverse than Charolotte suburbs (Weddington, Matthews area). I prefer diverse but I do think Charlotte is a cute city. Here you have Durham and Raleigh, they are smaller but growing. See where you can find work. I believe there is more tech here but there of plenty of home based PM jobs too so it may not be an issue.
Raleigh has prettier girls, by far.
 
Old 10-03-2018, 11:42 AM
 
666 posts, read 578,416 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian14A View Post
CSA metro population of Charlotte: 2.6 million
CSA metro population of Raleigh: 2.2 million

CSA growth rate of Charlotte: 12.98%
CSA growth rate of Raleigh: 14.99%

Source: Wikipedia CSA metro populations

Raleigh-Durham is only slightly smaller and faster growing than Charlotte.... and being that education, tech, research and government are more recession proof than banking and finance, Raleigh-Durham will likely pass Charlotte in the not to distant future. Wake County will likely pass Mecklenburg County in population by the next census, since only 8,000 people separate the two counties now and with Wake growing at a slightly faster clip (source: wikipedia) and Wake County Public Schools has already passed Charlotte-Mecklenburg as the largest school system in the state (source: Wikipedia school systems by enrollment) with current school system enrollments of 155,000 and 145,000 respectively.
The only way the Triangle passes the Charlotte MSA/CSA is sustained flat growth rate similar to the Triad & that would still take decades. The Charlotte economy as measured by GMP is slighty larger than the Triangle CSA & the Greensboro MSA combined( that's not just because of banks fwiw). No doubt Wake will pass Mecklenburg in population since so much of Charlotte's growth spills into neighboring counties including a couple in SC
 
Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 PM
 
65 posts, read 26,673 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
The only way the Triangle passes the Charlotte MSA/CSA is sustained flat growth rate similar to the Triad & that would still take decades. The Charlotte economy as measured by GMP is slighty larger than the Triangle CSA & the Greensboro MSA combined( that's not just because of banks fwiw). No doubt Wake will pass Mecklenburg in population since so much of Charlotte's growth spills into neighboring counties including a couple in SC

As stated in the OP, the Charlotte CSA and the Triangle CSA are roughly the same size in population now with the Triangle growth rate being slightly faster, again, sourced: "Wikipedia CSA populations".

Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill CSA: 2,600,000
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill CSA: 2,200,000

Charlotte CSA growth rate - 12.98%
Raleigh-Durham CSA growth rate - 14.99%

ALSO as stated in the OP the Triangle's economy is practically recession proof. During the Great Recession the Raleigh-Durham area was one of the few metros in the country that actually showed growth....whereas Charlotte was adversely affected during the financial collapse. Population growth numbers never stay the same and when they change it will most likely be in the Triangle's favor over Charlotte. Charlotte has no major universities, no major research parks, no tech base, no government...Charlotte's economy is financial, corporate and service centered, those are the first sectors to get hit in a recession and we're overdue for another one now.
________________________________________________

Yes, Wake is larger in area than Mecklenburg but about 1/3 of Wake County is rural and farm land, the urbanized area of Wake and the urbanized area of Mecklenburg are roughly the same size. Both counties have a population of 1 million. Both counties have spill over into neighboring counties.

...and there's this:

Charlotte CSA metro number of counties - 16 counties (source: wikipedia Charlotte metropolitan area)
Raleigh CSA metro number of counties - 12 counties (source: wikipedia Research Triangle metro area)

The Charlotte region is barely larger than the Triangle region even with 4 extra counties in it's CSA.
__________________________________________________

There are many ways to measure economic output, impact, prowess, and influence and when it all is shaken out Charlotte and Raleigh are equal. Hence they are both Gamma(-) global cities. (source: wikipedia global cities). Example: The Triangle has world class universities, Charlotte has none. Those world class universities educate hundreds of thousands of people who then go out into the world and produce. Not sure how you can measure that.

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 10-03-2018 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top