Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:11 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Do you want to be close to the airport, or is the first home driving distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
except for the price you want to pay, Lake Forest neighborhood in Chapel Hill fits the desires.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:24 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
asking for water access gives the impression you have very little information of the area
Not really, I don't think OP is looking for a beach or something the size of the great lakes but there actually is a decent amount of water in the area when you think about it: Jordan Lake

falls lake

Lake Crabtree

Bond Lake

Lake Pine

Lake Johnson

lake wheeler

And several other lakes in the area and many of them are on the greenway trails
https://youtu.be/M7x5heM2NiE me walking from the house to bond park when it snowed pretty good towards the end of Jan

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 03-22-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 09:30 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Not really, I don't think OP is looking for a beach or something the size of the great lakes but there actually is a decent amount of water in the area when you think about it:

Jordan Lake

Falls Lake
Are there any houses available that have a view of Lake Jordan or Falls Lake? Your pictures certainly don't show any, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,612 times
Thanks so much, everyone, for the info and the greenway/parks links! I'll check out those neighborhoods and the maps. Wow, drrckmtthws, those are beautiful photos!

In answer to some of the questions:

"define location more closely. Where's the work you'd need to get to."
Location is most likely south or west of Raleigh. Work location doesn't factor in (yes, really!). Biggest issue is we'd need to be within about 45 minutes of RDU (exclusive of rush hour)

"What size, style of, age of, etc house do you want/need."
Age doesnt matter; flexible on style, except ranch; size about 2000-2500, definately less than 3000.

"As has been noted, discuss the "waterfront" idea"
I've seen a few photos of houses that have a small dock on the little lakelets. More for a view, a place to sit, or if large enough to be worthwhile, some kayaking. So something like that, or if the community has a dock. I have no delusions about living on the shores of the larger lakes . And again, it's on the list of "nice to have, not a requirement".

"almost everyone would like to be "less than $X", but at some point you have to open up to what you'd spend for the right place"
Yes, tis true. But one also needs some self-restraint for a second home - not worth it to be house-poor ��. This will be our fourth time buying and all previous times have been in fairly brutal sellers markets, with properties getting multiple bids stripped of contingencies, escalation clauses, houses settling for up to 20% over asking price, and all the maneuvering that goes along with it. So we've learned that there is always another house...

Thanks again everyone, we are really excited about getting a place there and I'm lookimg forward to checking out the neighborhoods you've recommended!

Last edited by bobomcgee; 03-22-2018 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Typos galore

Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM

273 posts, read 562,645 times
Medfield is nice area. Many homes with good privacy. Older homes mostly but they go fast. Lived there for 3 years.

I was gonna mention South Lakes in Fuquay but the lot sizes are under .50.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:03 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are there any houses available that have a view of Lake Jordan or Falls Lake? Your pictures certainly don't show any, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any.
No, I mentioned them because there the largest lakes in the area and they are pretty quick to get to(from my spot in cary it only takes me 15 minutes to get to Jordan Lake). I didn't want to list every single lake but there are plenty of neighborhoods that have what the OP is looking for since they mentioned it didn't have to be lake view, tho there are plenty of neighborhoods that have lakes in them and are connected to greenway/bike trails.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:19 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
No, I mentioned them because there the largest lakes in the area and they are pretty quick to get to(from my spot in cary it only takes me 15 minutes to get to Jordan Lake). I didn't want to list every single lake but there are plenty of neighborhoods that have what the OP is looking for since they mentioned it didn't have to be lake view, tho there are plenty of neighborhoods that have lakes in them and are connected to greenway/bike trails.
Thats great, but lakes that don't meet the OP's criteria don't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary